Car accident and update on my absence.

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Tian-Tian, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Tian-Tian

Tian-Tian Awesome 15 minutes a day.

Hello, MAPers! I haven't been back to MAP at all over the summer, but the Fall semester has come, finally, and I'm ready to kick off another great year!

Except.... I got in a really bad car accident during the summer that messed up my neck and back pretty bad. Most of the damage was soft tissue-related and my neck was severely sprained. Though it could have been worse, I was in a neck brace for 3 weeks, physical therapy for four, and I don't remember anything else because I was hopped up on a boat-load of painkillers the rest of the time. I am still receiving treatment through electroshock therapy.

[​IMG]
    (This is me on painkillers, by the way. I really don't remember having this taken, haha)

Due to this ordeal, I was unable to be physically active and I have lost what muscle strength, and toning, I had.

I still have aches and pains, especially in the mornings. Stiff neck, spasms in my back and left shoulder... and I can honestly say I've lost a lot of my flexibility.

And despite my goal a few months ago to dramatically cut my weight down, I have since gained weight and now sit at an uncomfortable 205lbs. and a size 40 in an American swimsuit.

The plus side (no pun intended)? My uniform still fits. :cool:

My form is still fairly good and I'm TAing for the Beginner Hapkido class under Master Yoon, taking Intermediate Tae Kwon Do and Swimming: Conditioning.

high-impact + low impact = more strength and flexibility back?

I suppose that's the plan.

Anyway, good to be back, MAP. I'll be updating on my progress on my journal. :)

2. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Welcome back, I've been in a couple of car crashes and it stopped me doing shoulder work of any kind for a few years. I worked on other stuff I could whilst I went throught the healing process and am pretty much back to normal, if not stronger and fitter then before.

Hang in there! You will know your own limitations with these injuries so don't go in at the deep end and you'll be back to full strength in no time.

3. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Best wishes to you and a quick..ish recovery.
    You always come back stronger (fighting spirit) after an accident .

hang in there.

4. embra

embra Valued Member

Good luck with your recovery - at least you are smiling. Neck injuries can take a long time to heal, and can suffer relapses, so take care and time to get the best results you can.

Longer-term, the Alexander Technique and Feldenkrais may help with neck injuries and associated whiplash effects (check with your medical/physio people reg. the specifics of your condition) - but these are expensive and you have to find them in your area.

Good luck and keep smiling (it always helps a little.)

5. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Sorry to hear of your accident, glad to hear that you are on the mend. If there are any Rolfing practitioners near you maybe you could see how they can help your recovery. :)

6. Tian-Tian

Thanks for the support, y'all!

I'll be back into my classes on Monday. I'll be doing stretches periodically until then.

7. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

Welcome back and best wishes for a full recovery :)

8. Tian-Tian

Whew!

Just got back from the pool. I was working on my four basic strokes for about an hour. My technique is great, but I lack muscle strength and power to get better speed.

My back hurts.

On the plus side: at least I know I'll survive Conditioning Swimming this semester... and hopefully TDK and Hapkido.

I have a long road ahead of me to get my strength and toning back. It'll take determination, focus, practice.... and probably a lot of painkillers for the first half of it. ;)

j/k?

9. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

So why did you crash your car?

10. Tian-Tian

lol it was SO not our fault.

I was in the front passenger seat (the right side). This insane old lady, doing something like 60mph in a residential area (on a one-lane street) decides to try and pass us. First, she rear-ends us because she was going too fast. Then, without pausing, she tries to pass us on the right!! Meanwhile, my sister realizes we've been hit and is trying to make a right turn to get off the main road and assess the car damage. Instead, this old lady SLAMS into my passenger door, spinning the car forward and taking out the front frame of the car and throwing me around in my seatbelt.

I actually do not remember getting rear-ended. I might have blacked out at some point.

Anyway, so the car was later totaled and so forth.

The EMT guy that pulled me from the crushed car was really cute, though. So that kinda made my unfortunate ordeal a little better. :)

That's pretty much what went down.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  11. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Well you certainly can't take the blame for that one. Hope you're feeling better soon:cool:

12. Tian-Tian

Thank you!

13. righty

righty Valued Member

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  14. locust

locust Like a biblical plague

Glad to hear your getting better, its a long road to full recovery mine was after my accident.
    As for the cute EMT well i spent years in Fire & Rescue and you would be amazed at what being the hero rescuing the damsel in distress can do for your um..... social life ;)

15. Tian-Tian

16. Tian-Tian

Ahh, woke up this morning sore as all get out. I hate the recovery process so much. It's like I feel great for a few weeks, start getting active again and then I feel sore and achy all over again. :(

Details in my journal.

17. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Good luck with your recovery. Having had hip surgery a couple months back I know how much it sucks not being 100%.

18. Tian-Tian

Thanks Superfoot.

General question for anyone who wants to answer: is it totally normal to have "good" days and "bad" days while I'm trying to get physically active again? Monday was death on my back, Tuesday was manageable and okay... but today I am SO STIFF it's just terrible and uncomfortable. :eek:

19. Tian-Tian

Oh, before anyone asks.... yes, I am drinking lots of water. :)