Capture smoke

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Please reality, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

Mystic? That was the way they described things back then in their language. If they were European, I'm sure they would've used a European language with some other language to describe what they meant. Since we are studying several traditional Japanese arts, we should be able to understand and put into practice the things that were written in the densho should we not?

Okay, so it isn't unique to ninjutsu. Not sure how that is relevant but point taken. Now, getting back to the OP, how do you do it? How do you train to be able to demonstrate such qualities? If it's just regular training, then after a certain amount of regular training, everyone in said arts(ninjutsu as well) that have at their base these same principles, should be able to demonstrate such qualities. Do they?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  2. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

For lack of a better word, I have seen "ki" demonstrated in person by some folks in these arts and I was less than impressed.

I know I didn't learn the kihon properly. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, again it really depends on how you are defining it. Its fine if you don't want to say any more but its a little disingenuous since you brought it into the discussion.

3. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Most likely it's instructors trying to teach concepts they either don't fully understand or haven't trained in long enough to understand. A quality control issue not unique to ninjutsu but sadly seems to be prevalent from what it sounds like.

4. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

What were those demonstrations?

5. Please reality

Let me rephrase my question. If so many arts have these same principles as their base, do the majority of practitioners of said arts demonstrate this ability? Can you? If so, how did you develop this ability(back to the OP, not a comparison of ninjutsu and other arts-which though mildly interesting, really isn't the topic of debate here)?

The "mystic" mumbo jumbo that everyone here is complaining about is precisely what is happening on the physical side explained poetically. If you can't become smoke or if you can't lead your opponent into nothingness, then you really haven't gotten it as far as these arts are concerned. The masters of these arts can demonstrate this over and over. So how and why? If one cannot do such things, they really can't offer much as way of analysis I imagine(though their hypotheses are welcome).

6. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i still haven't seen a good answer as to what "become smoke" means.

7. Please reality

Actually, someone else brought up ki and I replied to it. Suffice it to say that it does play a role in the higher levels of the art. Let's leave it at that though because it isn't the focus of this thread and a bit off topic.

8. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

They were "demonstrations" by some higher ranked practitioners at a seminar in the US during the 90s where they literally dropped the attacker by raising their hand and "channeling" (?) their "ki" at them from across the room.

They only demonstrated on their own students and I felt embarrassed to be there.

9. Please reality

Higher ranked Japanese teachers?

10. Please reality

What are the properties of smoke? Moving in a way that mirrors said properties. You could say become water if you want. Or float like a butterfly and sting like a bee. Being there one instant and then not. How can you throw a guy who isn't there? Even after you've grabbed him and lifted him off the ground, what if he suddenly was gone? What would you do? What if you swore you hit him and next thing you knew you were on the ground? Ninjas could disappear, but not like in the fairy tales.

11. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Drawing, timing, distance, evasion... What art doesn't have these? We've all most likely encountered someone in our own training who seems untouchable yet draws us in to attack anyways only to be countered in a spectacular fashion. The most recent for me was sparring with an Enshin karateka who brilliantly used his sabaki to constantly be in my blind spots and slamming me with strikes I never saw coming. It was like fighting a ghost carrying a baseball bat.

I think your poetic attempts only further confound a vague presentation of an argument to begin with. Simpler terms are better for explaining thoughts and ideas. Though not everything can be described simply you don't need to add to the confusion either.

12. gapjumper

That was obviously poop. Can't say I have ever seen any bujinkan person think of ki as that stuff.

Long distance "combat ki" was probably something they bought from another art.

13. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

No they were foreign and I'm not going to be any more specific outside PM. :vanish:

14. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

It was absolute BS.

15. Please reality

Okay, so how do you reckon he got that good?

Again, people don't have to necessarily like the words in the densho or kuden. If you study ninjutsu though, it is part of the art. If you don't and can't understand it or refuse to see it even as a possibility, fine. There are plenty of other things in the world of martial arts to worry about. A lot of things in these arts are vague, probably for a reason. I have known my teacher to be able to describe in amazing detail, many things in these arts. I have also known him to not answer questions or only in minor detail as his discretion advised.

Now getting back to the OP, can you do these things or not? If you study ninjutsu and the answer is no, you probably should be trying to figure out why not. If you don't, it really shouldn't bother you too much.

16. gapjumper

Oh I wish it was on youtube!

17. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Years of hard training and pressure testing under a reputable instructor.

Sorry if it's not mystical enough for you.

18. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I'm on my phone so I can't share but there is some great ones out there. My favorite is the Dillman student on the news report who clocks the anchorwoman on the head.

19. Please reality

Years of hard training and pressure training can be found in many arts, ninjutsu included. So does that lead to being able to move like smoke? Methinks not judging by the many trained martial artists out there from a plethora of arts who fail to be able to. To me your answer was more of a copout. If you don't know, just say you don't know. Nothing wrong with that. Here's an analogy: There are many good judoka, but how many of them move like Mifune Sensei? If he could move like smoke or a top, and they couldn't/can't, then what's the difference?

20. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

if teddy riner picks you up, you're only going to get slammed into the ground.