Capoeira: The Story

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by wayofthedragon, Mar 27, 2008.

1. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

What is capoeira? Is it a dance, a martial art, an exercise, a game? Well, you can say it's all of the above. I hope to share with you as much as I can of the story so that you will understand the true beauty and significance of this art.

There are many variations to how capoeira came about. Historical evidence regarding the origins of capoeira is unfortunately quite scarce. Though there is a gap in capoeira history is believed to have been developed by slaves in Brazil about 400 years ago. one theory believed by many suggests that Capoeira came from West-African slaves, who began developing it while living and working in the plantations of Brazil in the hopes that it would someday be their vehicle to freedom. By masking it as a dance and retaining many of the old West-African cultural elements -- a call-and-response singing style, a strong precussion rhythm, a dance surrounded by a circle -- slaves were able to disguise their practice of Capoeira as a ritual from their homeland.

Many legends say that Capoeira was somewhat sucessful in the fight for freedom, and that it enabled some of the slaves to fight off Portuguese landowners and escape into the jungle to form renegade villages, known as "quilombos." These quilombos, ex-slave villages in the jungle, developed their own social structures, and some were thought to have lasted as long as 70-80 years before finally being defeated by the Portuguese. Capoeira is thought to have evolved tremendously within the quilombo, where villagers fended off intruders with the use of Capoeira.

With the abolition of Slavery in 1888 and the publication of the first constitution of the Brazilian Republic in 1892, Capoeira was outlawed. Practicioners of Capoeira were considered thugs and outlaws, as many formed some of the most formidable gangs in Rio and Bahia. This was slowly changed, beginning in 1932, with the debut of Mestre Bimba's Capoeira academy, believed to be the first of its kind in Brazil. Bimba, who helped to legalize Capoeira, is thought of by many as the founder of the "Regional" style of Capoeira, the Capoeira that is practiced by Volta Ao Mundo school as well as countless others.

Capoeira is gaining even more popularity today. It is still not known to many, but people are learning more and more about it and it is being spread. Today, it is called a game, some people mistake it as a dance, but it is much more. It is a martial art, it is a way of life, and in those days, it was freedom--liberation. Capoeira has been through a lot, and it has triumph to this day. I think it is something we all could learn to apprechiate.

There are many other theories that tell other stories as to the founding of Capoeira, and if you are interested in finding out much more about these, here are a couple of sites that may be able to help other than good old fashion searching....perferably by yahoo's search engine:

http://www.capoeiraarts.com/articles/history.html

http://capoeira.clanpages.com/history.htm

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2010
  2. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

I'd just like to point out a few things in regards to capoeira's history, because I believe that the history of capoeira is not so well understood--even by capoeiristas at times.

1. There are historical records around--not as much as there should be--but there are historical evidences. One would do well to check out the works of Maya Talmon-Chvaicer, T. J. Desch Obi, Thomas Holloway and John K. Thornton.

2. Every indication from historical evidence suggests that capoeira was not 'developed' by the enslaved Africans, but rather came over with them as a part of their culture. Certainly there have been some changes over time in musical and spiritual practices related to the art, perhaps even some physical changes, but the fundamentals of sweeping, headbutting, touching the hands to the earth and inverted kicks were the particulars of already established fighting arts from West Central Africa (southern Angola) and not West Africa (Bight of Benin).

3. The historical and--more importantly--the arrest records of Brazil would indicate that neither citizens, nor the authorities, nor even traveling foreigners writing in their travelogues mistook capoeira for being just a dance. I don't mean to say that capoeira was never hidden in dance, but the record doesn't seem to bear it. Moreover, dance was often a part of African fighting styles--dance was a part of much of life in many parts of Africa. In other words, Africans didn't disguise capoeira in dance to make it look like a ritual from their homeland--it was a ritual from their homeland.

4. Though the quilombos were valiant and vibrant communities of self liberated Africans, there is no evidence--thus far--of much, if any use of capoeira in them. The use of capoeira in the quilombos can only be speculation at this point. What is known though, is that capoeiras have at times defended those who were recaptured from quilombos.

5. There was a bit more to the maltas than just being gangs--especially gangs as understood in the present day U.S., but that is too much to go into here.

6. (Sigh), you're going to make me speak on this touchy subject, aren't you? Okay, it would seem that the only school that actually teaches capoeira regional--that is, maintains Bimba's traditions completely--is that of Mestre Nenel, Bimba's son. It would seem that he takes issue with schools calling themselves regional when they seem more influenced by Senzala et. al. Therefore, it would seem that most 'regional' schools are, in fact, practitioners of what is now called capoeira 'contemporanea' or 'moderna'.

7. The links you provided did not work for me. I will say, however, that in my years of capoeira training I have found that a great many capoeira websites are lacking in terms of the history. Even my own grupo's site leaves something to be desired.

Not trying to bring you down or anything, I just think that the history--and the latest research/fieldwork--should be represented. May there continue to be discoveries.

paz,

dormindo

3. Martial_Mathers

Martial_Mathers Capoeirista

Great post Dor.

4. Rich-Norris

Rich-Norris Valued Member

The history of capoeira is so interesting

5. StevieB8363

StevieB8363 Valued Member

I've always found Cappoiera interesting, though not something that would suit me. Beautiful style, and I'm sure it can generate enormous power with those kicks. The teaching-with-dance/music aspect is interesting too. I'm of the opinion that the music helps not only with rythym but with memory. Hearing the music would trigger a "gut reflex" and prepare you mentally and physically for the moves.

I'm in no position to comment on its history, but I did hear once (I've never found confirmation) that Cappoeira was at one time practiced with knives attached to the feet. It would certainly add a new element to those huge sweeping kicks. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

6. dormindo

Though razors have figured quite prominently in capoeira's history, there isn't any indication of the use of razors in the feet: not in the arrest records, the reports of travelers or the writings of old time capoeiristas. It may be possible that it was the practice of a few individuals--or even a type of demonstration, but it certainly does not appear at all to have been a widespread practice.

paz,

dormindo

7. StevieB8363

StevieB8363 Valued Member

I suspected as much. Thanks for confirming it.

8. leelam

leelam New Member

I have done capoeira in the past. Its a very physically tiring form of dance and kicking techniques.

Its briliant fun. Give it a go :)

cheers!

9. mkultra

mkultra Valued Member

I learned everything I know about Caoperia from Bob's Burgers.

10. dormindo

Consider the source ;).

paz,

dormindo

11. thuraminho

thuraminho New Member

It is interesting to know that Brazil finally recognized capoeira as part of brazil culture heritage in 2008..300 years after !
    Source : www.mestresbrasil.com/uk

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  12. Josh94

Josh94 New Member

Even if its not really a martial art id consider doing myself, ive always found it pretty interesting and impressive to watch. Although it dont really seem too effective against a lot of other martial arts. Either way a great martial art with a colourful history!

13. aiem

aiem Valued Member

I'm very interested in capoeira for several reasons. Thanks for this post.

14. Rricker300

Rricker300 New Member

I grew up in Taekwondo, and just began training Capoeira last year. Though it isn't a martial art one would use effectively after a short year of training (what martial art would be, really?), with mastery, it cab be very effective. Here is a nice video clip of Capoeira being used effectively against other martial arts in MMA.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMkmFuLpoCM&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMkmFuLpoCM&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

15. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

16. Rricker300

Rricker300 New Member

Oops! I'm afraid I must have posted a video that's been overused here. Didn't mean to make anyone cry. The fighter in the video is the son of my headmaster, Mestre Barrão, and he is the chief instructor (profesor) of the largest academy in our group.

While I do realize the first clip has gone viral and has been seen widely, I didn't think the other fights were as widely seen. I guess I don't understand what the tears are for. I only intended to add to the discussion on Capoeira in a thread that is specifically about Capoeira. I am not a proponent of "Capoeira is better than everything else", just showing real life application of Capoeira in competition.

It's my first forum post, take it easy on me ;-)

17. Rricker300

Rricker300 New Member

Oops! I'm afraid I must have posted a video that's been overused here. Didn't mean to make anyone cry. The fighter in the video is the son of my headmaster, Mestre Barrão, and he is the chief instructor (profesor) of the largest academy in our group.

While I do realize the first clip has gone viral and has been seen widely, I didn't think the other fights were as widely seen. I guess I don't understand what the tears are for. I only intended to add to the discussion on Capoeira in a thread that is specifically about Capoeira. I am not a proponent of "Capoeira is better than everything else", just showing real life application of Capoeira in competition.

It's my first forum post, take it easy on me ;-)

18. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

's all good. Welcome aboard, by the way. :)

19. Rricker300

Rricker300 New Member

thanks!

20. ATACX GYM

ATACX GYM New Member

Excellent post! You are absolutely correct...the latest research should be presented [ which is hard to come by ] and the latest findings thoroughly scrutinized. I know that there are many many things that we don't know, so my post here is in that vein; I am still pursuing knowledge of capoeira's history and am in no way putting myself in the august company of capoeira's more storied and more accomplished researchers and historians.

Much of this information in your post is rare indeed...especially the points raised in #5 and #6 above. It's a very dicey subject, because Mestre Bibma really wasn't a fan of what he called "rubbish" in what he saw in much of old skool Capoeira Angola's movements...even though Mestre Bimba himself was originally an angoleiro. It's also dicey because of the high passions and history of conflict that capoeiristas from the Regional and Angola groups have. My own expression has been heavily influenced by the pure street fighting approach that Mestre Bimba applied to his techniques as well as keeps the spiritual musical and cultural aspects that we find especially prevalent in Angola. The internacionale/moderna/contemporeana expression [ basically an extension of the good-intentioned Senzala group ] is nowhere near as suited for h2h combat and self defense as the more focused aim behind Mestre Bimba's work that birthed Regional.

Those who think that their lack of acrobatic flexibility and athleticism makes them an ill fit for capoeira is not true. They're basing that misinterpretation upon the high flying rodas seen in capoeira moderna and whatnot. I have taken less than athletic persons and transformed them into pretty formidable athletes. I have also taken elderly people and taught them how to fight well with capoeira without a single floreio.

I mean that without any disrespect toward or for any of my fellow capoeiristas.

As for #5? I'm doing a research paper on that very subject, already targeted for the end of the year. To say that there is much muuuuucccchhh more to be gleaned about the Maltas is a huge understatement.

As for the quilombos? It's almost a certainty that African martial arts were practiced there, and the hypothesized hybridization and combination and confluence of African martial arts that would birth capoeira in the form that we know it NOW had yet to occur...but the EARLY forms of capoeira are largely unknown and therefore could have very well been used in some shape or form in the quilombos. The absence of records regarding the fighting styles of Africans is actually evidence of how very cunning and smart our African ancestors were in deceiving the slavemasters about the Africans' fighting prowess as well as probably the

Remember, capoeira was certainly practiced before the Portuguese named it and accepted as "capoeira" and even prior to the Native Brazilian's use of their word similar to capoeira but not meaning the martial art.

In closing? I'd like to state that I train and have received Master's or Coach rank in multiple martial arts, with our variant of capoeira being one of them. Imo capoeira is the undisputed king of movement, vastly surpassing even dynamic movement arts like wushu.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012