[Capoeira] The best way to judge a group.

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Crash, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Crash

Crash New Member

First of all hi and thanks for any replies given.

It's been a while now since I was involved with any martial art (or any type of exercise for that matter) and I recently started searching for clubs in my area. I was trying to find something slightly different from the usual styles that are in most counties and came across a Capoeira club in maidenhead. Below is the link to their site.

http://www.capoeirauk.co.uk/

I have tried googling the Mestre, C. Mestre Michel Neves, and got a few hits but I'm not sure what I should be looking for.

If anyone can give me an idea of what I should look for in terms of club history, training or anything else that indicates a decent Capoeira club it would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Crash

2. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

The link isn't working for me. I'd say just try it out. Things to look for (in my estimation, your mileage may vary):

Good instructor (can convey what is being taught without confusion, frustration or condescension)

Good instruction capability in the top students (important if the Mestre/Contramestre/instructor has to travel for any extended period)

Good music! (some in capoeira don't feel strongly about this one, but it is a must for me--people must be able to play the instruments, and new students should be encouraged to learn them)

Good training atmosphere (friendly is nice, but what I mean here is that new students are given time to develop before being thrown into the fire. This doesn't mean you avoid the rodinha/roda totally, just that newbies shouldn't be tossed in with someone that can't control themselves)

An instructor with an ear for any (valid) concerns that you may have, who is willing to give advice or even 'homework' to help you improve.

Students that play well (any group has an array of students from the technically proficient to the downright fool. What I mean here, is that there should be a good quality of movement from the students in general. They should also be good jogadores, too--for their current skill level)

Just a few things off the top of my head.

paz,

dormindo

3. Crash

Crash New Member

Thanks Dormindo. Hopefully I'll be making it to the club this coming Monday to see how it is.

Their site it a little odd you get to that then click enter which opens and entirely separate window, which seems just like one large interactive picture, a little odd.

Thanks,

Crash

4. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Ah, okay. When I would enter, it would just open another, blank, page. Hope you find an academia that suits you.

paz,

dormindo