[Capoeira] Question about your style?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by mystik, Mar 13, 2007.

1. mystik

mystik In for a challenge

I'm not trying to do an attack on this style I was just wondering how it really worked? It don't look like the attacks are really powerful but I haven't seen a whole lot of this style. I was just wondering how it kind of works? Do you understand what I mean?

2. feijao_cbla

feijao_cbla Valued Member

well mystic,
    first I suggest that you try to see more capoeira. That will show you how the attacks work. As in most martial arts there are those attacks that a more powerful than others. Some attacks are meant to set up opponents for a more powerful attack. But, in considering how powerful these attacks are you have to realize that this was developed by slaves in a very hostile environment. In war time you can't afford a long drawn out fight so the main attacks are very very powerful. As far as the physics go this styles uses your body weight with a kind of sling-shot appeal so the more you weigh the harder you hit.

I hope this helps.

peace

3. mystik

That sounds pretty interesting I really wish I could see more of how it worked. Thanks for the info :D

4. feijao_cbla

5. mystik

so I was lookin at some random online videos, this style seems like it would be fun to learn lol. Definitely fun to show off with :D

6. feijao_cbla

yeah

:rolleyes:
    definately fun to learn and show off with. The best is after you've kicked someones butt you can do something really cool as you exit adding insult to injury.

But, it is hard. It's a great workout so just prepare yourself.

where do you live?

7. mystik

I live in Oklahoma, I looked in my area there is no class's towards OKC area or shawnee. This is more than likely going to be the stupidest thing you ever heard. The closest thing to class's I can find where these videos called Mastering Capoeira there is like 3 volumes. More than likely this will teach me nothing. But its going to be interesting to watch :D. How long have you been in this style? What color chord are you?

8. feijao_cbla

<lol>

:D
    Mestre amen santos right? they are ok. It's a good start the will get you stretched out and get your basics going.
    'tip' keep your hands up. bend your knees.
    and if you have any questions you can ask me.
    I'm not a mestre yet but, I will be one day.

9. mystik

I really need to get genga down? i think thats how you spell it. The people are Nilson Reis and Joselito Santos :D

10. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

The best way to find out about Capoeira, or any style, is to try it out. As many groups as there seem to be, it's hard to imagine that there isn't at least one in Oklahoma. Are you in Tulsa? Ada? You may want to check with any universities in your area, as in some regions, capoeira clubs are connected to college campuses. Also, if you ever cross the border into Texas, there are a number of groups in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

Good Luck!

dormindo

11. mystik

thanks :D I would try it, but there isnt any around the shawnee area

12. Palmito

Palmito New Member

There are lots of groups in Texas, and if you're serious about training, it's worth it to make the commute, say once a month. I currently drive 3 hours twice a month to train with my mestre. In between those times, I have others that I train with, and I train what I learned during those visits.

The best DVDs I've found are by M> Barrao of Axe Capoeira. I think those might be the ones you mentioned. I honestly don't remember the names of them. The ones by Panther Productions are crap.

You also seem to have been starting other arts as well. It can be difficult to start multiple arts at the same time. I may want to sit down and figure out what your goals are, then find the best path to reach that end.

--Palmito

13. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Damn! I'm going to have to start calling you Lazarus or Ra's al Ghul for the resurrection going on around here.

paz,

dormindo

14. Palmito

Palmito New Member

hahahaa, didn't realize how old these posts were. My Bad

and yep, it's the same Palmito from cap.com. My cap group kinda fell apart and I've been taking some kung fu classes. Went hunting for some KF forums, and ended up here :) (somehow always end up back with capoeira though......)

--Palmito

15. fogo

fogo Valued Member

man i feel really good that a fellow capoeista watches batman, it does my heart good that im not the only comic/cartoon geek in here :cry: