[Capoeira] Is capoeira right for me ?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by MingTheMerciles, Mar 21, 2007.

1. MingTheMerciles

MingTheMerciles Valued Member

I am thinking of picking it up , but it seem to me that such a martial art require you to be fast and light . But I am a little bit slower , less acrobatic and I am a bodybuilder that weight 200lbs . I do pick up Jujutsu and Arnis . I want to be more agile and flexible .

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Nothing says 200lbs can't be agile or fast or flexible.
    Olympic lifters are great examples of all of that.

In their respective weight categories... gymnast are insanely strong, agile and fast.

Give it a go.

3. MingTheMerciles

Ok , Capoeira just like Taekwando also , emphasis more on Kicking ?

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

sorry don't know a whole lot about Capoeira... so hopefully the Capoeira natives can answer... I just wanted to show that big guys can be fast, agile and flexible

5. MingTheMerciles

So to those who practice capoeira , as a Capoeira beginner , what do you expect to learn ?

6. fogo

fogo Valued Member

being fast, light, and acrobatic will come with practice if you devote enough time to it, and with weight, i mean have you seen lateef crowder(my hetero man crush) he's like over 6 feet muscle bound nubian warrior, so you dont have to be perfect when you start a martial art i wasn't, i was the same as you about 200 pounds of muscle uncordanated hell even a cartwheel was hard but i just kept at it and built my body up to were i could do all these things so dont be scared :D

7. MingTheMerciles

Whenever I try to do something slightly Acrobatic , I felt stiff and restricted lol . So what is the tip for improving my agillity level ?

8. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Only way to improve is to start training. Yep, just do it (as goes the cliche). The main thing in capoeira is to relax through the movements. Stiffness and rigidity are not typically looked upon well, but those are usually the things to be expected from newbies. So just get in there, don't worry about looking or feeling awkward--because everyone does at some point--and do it.

paz,

dormindo

9. feijao_cbla

feijao_cbla Valued Member

yup

Yeah ming,

Dormindo is right. just do it. You'll see that as you dedicate more time to it your body will adjust to the movements. Just relax and breathe and it will flow. You'll even see a physical transformation as your muscles began to memorize the movements.

I look forward to hearing about your progress.

Hey did anyone hear about the US capoeira open hosted by mestre itabora?

:D

10. Greamere

Greamere Valued Member

Contre Mestre Chicote once said, "Remember, capoeira is for everybody, but not everybody is for capoeira." I believe there is your answer. Capoeira is right for you, and you're interested, so you are right for capoeira. And believe me, I've only been playing for a year, and I am no longer 215 lbs, I'm 180 ish, and I still cant do all the flexibility stuff. I just am working on it and hope it comes soon. I wish you luck, and hope you stick with it.

And no, I heard nothing about the capoeira open. What was it?

11. Martial_Mathers

Martial_Mathers Capoeirista

Ahhhh, good ol' Chicote. I haven't seen that fellow in months.

12. bwhite55

bwhite55 Valued Member

first off, fogo, i gotta say tiger > eddie...i just love his hair :D

secondly, i youtubed lateef crowder, and i must say, i know how you can have a hetero man crush on him. i kinda do because the fight w/ jaa and him is my fav scene from the protector. but anyway how long has he been doing it? and how long does it take to get profficient at it? i'm gonna be going down to brazil probly for 2 years after i graduate on missions in the journeyman program and i was wondering if i find a good instructor down there if i'd have a good amount of knowledge after the 2 years?

13. Martial_Mathers

Martial_Mathers Capoeirista

My boy Voodue would be the person to ask. He and Lateef are from the same group, and have trained under the same mestre; they are both Professors. As far as proficiency is concerned, that truly depends on the practitioner. Time will determine proficiency in most cases. If you spend a couple of years in Brasil training on a regular basis, it is my opinion that you will probably learn more (..in terms of vision) than if you trained regularly in the U.S. I say this because you will be able to find plentiful amounts of Capoeira everywhere, so your opportunities to play in rodas will increase exponentially, thus, increasing your comfort level, ability, vision, etc.

14. fogo

fogo Valued Member

you seem cool so im not gonna go there with you on tekken, but it isn't goin to be easy, but you could(and keep this under your hat) go to the hymalayas climb the mountains, enter a secret cave with a cup of water, but make sure you do not spill any(remember that) traverse a wide variety of wooden poles to get too an ancient dagger and when you reach the weapon drink the water, i know its crazy, grab the dagger and believe you me you will be the best capoeira fighter ever. ;)

15. bwhite55

bwhite55 Valued Member

don't forget that i have to carry a bald asian kid around with me everywhere.

and tiger along w/ hworarang are my go to guys when i wanna dominate the tekken tag machines in the arcade! if you could have tiger and eddie i would be unstoppable. alot of people claim they are buttom mashing guys, but that'd be lee. i used to know all of the combos for those guys, along w/ the biggest combos(i think its the 10 hit combo) w/ them and hworwang, and was almost through w/ yoshimitsu's before i officially retired.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
  16. fogo

fogo Valued Member

naw son, its all about eddy and law, i'll woop some@!#$@# with my lateef bruce lee combos, but i can't hate on hworarang he's pretty good in a tight situation.

17. bwhite55

bwhite55 Valued Member

law is good, i'll give you that.

the best thing ever is that my friend(who's one of the best i've ever played with) got his butt wooped by king and armorking.

18. WalkingThePath

WalkingThePath www.gplus.to/jayboyle

Hey there,
    I wouldn't worry about your size in capoeira. As with all martial arts the key is just to keep training and let the flexibility and bendiness come. The acrobatics, though impressive and fun, are not an essential part of capoeira - as long as you can au, and do a half decent handstand, you should be fine. I am not a 'small' guy, (About 14/15 stone - sorry not sure what that is in poundage!!) but I still manage it (maybe not with amazing grace, but I'm hoping that will come!!)