Capoeira in the B'more riots

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Nojon, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

Today watching CNN, I couldve sworn there was footage of two folks practicing capoeria in a circle..(Sorry I dont know the correct terms)
    Later in the afternoon today (east coast time US) I think I even saw a berimbau or two.
    Let me know if anyone else has seen it or finds footage of it. Pretty neat little segment.

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Didn't see it. But the circle is called a "roda" (pron. "hoda") if I'm not mistaken.

3. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I think there was.

Someone posted that clip on IG, but I didn't watch it...and now I can't find it.

4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Main video trending is the looter all in black with black mask getting slapped about by his mum.

5. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

There are several groups in Baltimore and several in DC, so I'm not too surprised.

Oh, and I corrected spelling in the thread title.

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

We've got a couple here in Northern Virginia as well. There was actually an attempt to get a club going here at my college.

7. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

One of these days I'm going to get out and visit my aunt in Gaithersburg and when I do, I'll have to look those clubs up.

8. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

I did see the video. Rather slow bit of capoeira. There was also, in the clip I saw, what could best be descibed as a conga line.

Dormido, I spent years hanging out in Gaithersburg and my brother still lives there.

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Used to live there myself. Or Montgomery Village, right next door. Worked in Gaithersburg/Rockville for donkey's years. Only about half an hour from there now.

10. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Dunno how to link the video.

You can't see much, just the reporter talking and you can hear music in the background and see some berimbaus poking out.

first post on the account.

https://instagram.com/gata_brava/

but yeah, there was people playing there.