[Capoeira] Fitness for Capoeira

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by babie_tee, Nov 11, 2004.

1. babie_tee

babie_tee New Member

Hi all! :)
    I am going along to my first capoeira class tomorrow and was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on fitness or things I should work on while practicing capoeira.

thanks, babie_tee

2. nenn

nenn I'M SPICY!

before i started capoeira i often wondered this, but really you can only work on things you learn in capoeira for capoeira, i mean the basics of sit ups, push ups, things of that nature will help you immensly, but capoeira will whip you into shape, i lost 12lbs over the course of 1 month :) and i feel amazing hehehe, hope you enjoy it!

3. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I think 2 things worth working on are cartwheels on both sides, and handstands. You will find your fitness increases fairly rapidly once you start taking regular classes.

4. Corny

Corny New Member

as has already been said, it will come in time, no need to worry...but what is always good to train is flexibility, you will probably strech along with everyone else during training, but its something worth doing at home too...

5. babie_tee

babie_tee New Member

thanks

Thanks for the tips, I'll definatley keep them in mind. Most people assume that I'm fit because I'm thin, but that is definatley not the case. I've also heard it takes a while to catch on to doing the ginga... fingers crossed I'll get there
    Thanks again for the advice
    babie_tee

6. nenn

nenn I'M SPICY!

ginga, one week ... well about 4 classes and you get it pretty well.

7. babie_tee

babie_tee New Member

Fitness stretching

My first capoeira class was great! Except I woke up this morning very very very VERY sore lol. Does anyone know any good streches for the front of the thighs? I find this part of the body very difficult to strech properly.

8. nenn

nenn I'M SPICY!

kicks, squats, bridge ( safe to assume it does stretch it a bit ? )
    once you learn a few kicks, meia lua , Armada, and, Meia Lua de Compasso; just to name a few, and keep at it, you will get limber in no time. :D

9. babie_tee

babie_tee New Member

"Stiff" ginga

:bang: I have been practicing and practicing my ginga, but its too "stiff" and I dont look right doing it, I just cant get it to flow..... :bang: HEELLLLPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

10. Corny

Corny New Member

well....people work on their ginga their entire life, it's never done! (but it never looks smooth standing in a line with 20 more people doing it at the same time, dont worry :) )

look how the more experienced person do it, and try to add some variations to your ginga at home...remember it's YOUR ginga, its never wrong...(may look like crap, but its not wrong)