[Capoeira] Capoeira the best martial art

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Capoeira, Jun 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

I'd like to say something on this part of your post.....but first I'd like to agree and say that there is no "Superior" martial art.
    I am a big capoeira fan, and capoeira does have a lot of advantages, as well as disadvantegs (hey, what do ya know, that goes for all martial arts:D ) Anyway, capoeira can be use away from the "dance floor", in crowded areas, various terrain, etc....just as every martial arts....tho' some maybe sutied better for the situation.....capoeira is still no joke there. You would just have to cut out all the flipping around, and modify some of the movements...but I must say, capoeira can be used to fight up close, or in crowded areas....If you know how to apply it there that is for anyone

2. Nimrook

Nimrook New Member

Personally, my beleif is that every single martial art, used by the right practitioner, could defeat practitioners of any other style.

There is no weak or strong martial art. That is why there are so many of them, because everyone thinks, acts, and fights differantly. Therefore the HUGE diversity in styles. Even traditional styles (such as Vale Tudo, Jiu-Jutsu, and Wrestling), when met with certain people, are changed to fight the way they want (hence Ruas Vale Tudo, BJJ, and Freestyle Wrestling). So it is not a quetion of which is the better style, but WHO is the better fighter.

3. timmeh!

timmeh! New Member

I've found the best marital art is to do exactly what she says!

- oh..... 'martial art'!... :D

4. gutshot

gutshot New Member

hmm lets see some main problems with capoeira and why it isnt better, even though its damn cool.
    1) the ginga, this makes your movements much more predictable than say a kickboxer hopping around.
    2) not enough contact. when you spar in other sports you get kicked repeatedly. in angola capoeira this rarely happens cause you arent really trying to kick the other guy, just trying to come very close. In training for regional however they use some training patterns designed by mestre bimba that include a lot of contact.

seriously your friends just sucked at their martial art. capoeira is probably one of the least effective martial arts. however a capoeirista who is very good can apply techniques from capoeira for real fighting and will be able to fight well.

on a side note, any jackass who tries to flip around with some capoeira stuff when sparing with other guys is just being a dick. cause if they werent sparring theyd just tackle you straight into the ground. you have to be real good before that stuff becomes effective in fighting...
    /end rant

5. Topher

Topher allo!

Also, it depends what you want out of the art. You may pick a really good style, but if it totally irrelevent to what it wont be any good.

6. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

yeah, and check out that instructor in this month's black Belt mag, article on this art... she teaches "cardio capoeira"... whoah she made my heart skip a beat. Effective art or not, I would lose to her every time...

get it... cardio... heart... har har

7. Falling_link

Falling_link New Member

Every Martial Art is right depending on the person, so for some Karate is the best, and for other Karate is the worse, for some people TKD is a "show off" MA and too others it's a good self defence, all humans and people have different strenghts and weaknesses. For instance somepeople have stronger leg muscles but arnt as flexible and some people are flexible but just don't have the muscles. MA isnt about whats right and good overall for the mass, MA is not communism (if anyone works out what i mean, please explain to me) everyone is different thus different styles are better for different people.
    Capoeira is a "dance" martial art due to the way it was developed, it was a MA designed for slaves in africa to overcome there slavers, thus it was constructed on ritual dances and it's style is also designed to stop a "muscle prediction" it is known that a good martial artist can tell what moves are going to come from reading the muscles and the positioning of the opponents body, but if it's a style (such as drunken boxing) then this stops a "muscle prediction" because the moves arnt in a particular pattern.
    Differnt styles apply to different people, Capoeira is a style that is most probally suited to people who want to continuely move

8. mig29

mig29 New Member

That´s what you could spect from capoeira´s students. They are always like that. Sadly, in Brazil this is what u should spect to hear from capoeirists and BJJers, when u study another martial art. I think they really have strong tongues, but it lacks in the mind and technique stuff.

9. hisurfer

hisurfer New Member

competition

guys - capoeira is not an asian style martial art, so it's hard to compare it to karate, tkd, tai chi, et al.

I agree with you all who argue that we can't call one form 'the best,' but am confused by all you who are talking about who kicks whose ass in competitions. I've trained with some amazing mestres, and as far as I know none of them *ever* enter smack-down type tournaments. The guys who do might know some capoeira moves, but I wonder if they're 'capoeiristes.'

10. deCadena

deCadena New Member

each art has evolved to satisfy the conditions of the culture and situations back then. it is entirely possible that what does work for you won't work for another person. just some thoughts

11. bad eddy

bad eddy New Member

First off Im tired of all these ****ster martial artists dissing capoeira when its evident they know nothing of it. Second as far as cardio capoeira goes there are other martial arts that have used their styles to become aerobics ie tae bo so please spare me. As far as capoeiristas running their mouths and lacking teqniques goes please spare me the crap. I know quite a few practitioners who have the skill to match their lip. Also everyone wants to base their opinions on ufc events and to me ufc is nothing more than an upgrade to wrestling. I mean the first thing people wanna scream is it's no holds barred but in reality there are rules so it aint no holds barred. No holds barred means anything goes that includes eye gouges, crotch blows and even death techniques. Second how come you don't see any real masters playing in the ufc? I'll answer because ufc misses the essence of martial arts. It's not about which style is the best it's about being the best at your style and most true masters have nothing to prove because thats the first demon you have to conquer as a true martial artist. I have been playing capoeira for about 5yrs now. Before that i was in the navy stationed in san diego where I attended the white dragon dojo for choy li fut gung fu. I also have experience in tkd and security force training in the military. I don't mean to come off as arogant because i respect all styles and forms and I feel that if you come here thinking your style is better , well that says alot about your level as a martial artists and you do a great diservice to your style. During my years in the military I traveled to many countries and I saw alot of martial arts in their homeland. I have to say that we as americans have been pumped up with the wrong mentailty. Most people look at the ufc or their local dojo or friends and make opinions from that. In capoeira as with any martial arts there have been masters that have fought bouts and some have won and some have lost but the wins and losses by them do not determine the the value of the style. A big problem is in america we try to commercialize everything and have this attitude that we have to prove that something is better than something to approve of it. I have to say a real pet peeve with me is all these Mc dojos. I mean there are some good schools here but there are also far more fast food dojos and places that say they teach an art but really they teach arobics or something thats the farthest thing from the art. I mean I can remember going to a yoga center here in st louis that said they tought capoeira. When we got there they were learning capoeira from "the little book of capoeira" their hoda was a tape circle on the floor and they said that they were learning capoeira for dance only. Our mestre just started laughing and wouldn't participate in it. I also have a big issue with people who go to clubs and hit the dance floor with capoeira. It's people like that who give capoeira or any art a bad name and the illusion of being weak. To me shaolin monks wield tremendous power and are some of the best martial artist in the world yet I have heard people judge them by their performances throughout the world as being nothing more than circus performers. If the ufc is your thing more power to you but you can't judge an art by ufc cause some arts although deadly and effective are not made for the ufc. I mean there are some styles designed for killing if one of these practitioners entered and killed someone what would everyone say? Would that make his style the best? No it'd make him a murderer. Also people need to stop riding other peoples accomplishments and focus on becoming the best at their art so that they can contribute to all the people that helped promote the art and make some milstones for themselves. The gracies, mark kerr and mestre hulk are all good fighters but they are their own men and have their milstones as well as downfalls. Also they are just men and not gods. They can be injured, killed and yes even defeated. Like I said earlier I respect all arts. My love is capoeira and when it all comes down to it there are good and evil forces around all and in all my goal is to promote my art in it's purest form and be the best that I can be not by how many people i defeat but by how much I put into my art, myself and most of all G-d. I hope that any martial artist can see the value and wisdom in this and that we may all reach the pinnacle of greatness within our individual styles. It's senseless bickering like this that hinders the growth, promotion and beauty of martial arts. To me competition brings out the worst in men and they programm people into thinking that this is better or that is not as good and this is simply not the case. I mean you have tkd tourneys based on points and rules would these work in a street fight? no but you also have practitioners in korea that are some of the tightest street fighters that I've ever seen. Tkd, karate, kung fu and capoeira can all be used to lethal effect and all have tremendous power as well as any other art we all need to come to terms with that and grow up and stop trippin. :D P.S. Here is an article I found about capoeira in ufc type events that I think everyone should read the link is http://www.capoeira.com/planetcapoeira/view.jsp?section=Features&viewArticle=160 type it just as you see it .

Last edited: Aug 23, 2003
  12. Black Bruce Lee

Black Bruce Lee New Member

You cant say that

That is very unreasonable. like you said you studied 1 art only for three years. Just because iit has rythem doesnt make it better. It all stand on the persons skill in the art that makes one better than another. a expert in JKD vs a expert in Wrestling is a even match..there no telling who would win

13. Hakko-Ryu

Hakko-Ryu New Member

I'm THE BEST MARTIAL ARTS...CAUSE I HAVE THE BIGGEST NUTS...FOLLOW ME...TO LEARN THE BEST MARTIAL ARTS....

Lay off the best martial arts deal...there's ALWAYS going to be someone better than you are...

14. totality

totality New Member

unless you have the magical sea monkeys. and i do!

so just offer me lots of money to join and promote your art

THAT is the only way to have the best martial arts. oh, and having a completely unbiased opinion from practicing one and only one art for 3 years.

15. Dark Blade

Dark Blade It Roundhouse time

Capoeira was made as a fightign art in a dance, so when it's said that it's more of a dance, there is some element of truth in it.
    Frankly, I don't consider it very practical at all, I'm fought people from a fewdifferent capoeira school, and it was pretty mucht he same, some chanegs in foot works. But alot of the time, I found it funny how they had to bust out some crazy dance before trying to hit me. Anyway, I like the art , I do, but I just don't consider it as practical and refined as alot of other martial arts.

Anyway back tot he first topic.
    There is no best martial art, it is an individuals choice of what si the best martial art.
    Your art can only be as good as you, I'm speaking generaly here.

To Capoeira (the member), Man, you just strunting in here and suddenly telling us how good your art is and how badly you beat your pathetic friends, it's sickening, do you have no respect for Martial Arts?!
    My god.

And you even said, it's the best martial art because it has rhytym.

Ohh Wait, light bulb moment!!!!
    Would that make listening to a radio a martial art? Or DJing? Or even just dancing?

Have you read anything by Miyamoto Musashi? Well, clearly not, but the main focus of his texts is the rhytym of whats happening, EVERYTHING has a rhytym, not just Capoeira.

Find a REAL fighter, and see how you go against them.

16. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

Capoeria is tres cool IMO. Just bought a book on it a few weeks back which goes into the tradition and the basic solo and partnered training. Interesting stuff all round.

Not sure how they would fight if there was dog poo on the ground... ;)

rgds,
    David

17. wuchang79

wuchang79 New Member

I practiced TKD and have beaten an capoeira practicioner. . . you can't judge styles genius. . only fighters. Each style is different such as each body type. . small styles are better suited to other body types. . ..get over yourself.

18. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

The idea of rythm (sp.? (beer!)) in capoeira strikes me as a major weakness easily exploited...

-David

19. Dark Blade

Dark Blade It Roundhouse time

True, a good point, and hence Musashi's martial art's science!

20. Norm_uk

Norm_uk New Member

Anyone who claims to have 'the best' style will easily have seven shades beaten out of him in a real situation.

Better to learn with humility from everyone you meet and not rely on a 'style'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.