Capilliarization!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by GhostOfYourMind, Mar 7, 2006.

1. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

Well, how important is capillarization in a muscle? I know that as muscle size increases, capilliary density decreases, unless one does more higher rep lifting to help promote endurance and capillarization. But could a drastic difference in capillary density to muscle mass be detrimental to one's progress in both strength and size (since both pretty much go together when you get down to the meat of things). For example, I barely get a pump when I do something like 10x3 w/60 seconds rest, and even if I do 3x15 w/60 seconds rest, I still get a pretty half-assed pump compared to when I first picked up a weight in my life (I'm trying to refrain from invoking the famous "Pumping Iron" lines from Ah-nuld....:D;)). So in the end, would that lack of blood flow into the muscle lengthen recovery time/slow growth, and essentially screw my progress over? I need to do higher reps, so therefore, the next 4-6 weeks for me will be higher rep stuff, 10 and above, to get myself outta my low rep rut.

Any links about capillarization would be helpful as well, thanks ya'll!

2. Maverick

Maverick New Member

All I can say is that during 10x3 I didn't get that great of a pump, but made the best gains of my life.

3. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Ghost, I thought you were taking classes?

I suppose you could take the direction of capill-->more blood/oxygen to the muscle--->faster recovery, hypertrophy

There's always the flushing of lactate, etc

If you're asking if there's a benefit to some higher rep work...yes. Just as there's a benefit to endurance work (i.e. jogging, moderate intensity swimming, etc)

4. GhostOfYourMind

Which kinda classes? MA classes? I stopped because of my hernia, and haven't been able to go back due to SAT prep, school, and work. I'll probably be going back during the summer (I keep putting my black belt off... :rolleyes: ).

If you mean college classes on this stuff....no way. I'm still in highschool...:D

Thanks for the simple explanation though. I suppose my main question is.... will a small capillarization to muscle mass ratio slow progress down dramatically. From what I've gathered from reading around....in a way, it can. I just am trying to figure out how much it can mess up progress though (as I think I'm just too much of a low-rep person....DOH!). I gotta say though, I've been messing around for 3 days with just high reps (really high, 15-25 :eek:) and feel more refreshed. I REALLY need to start sticking to undulating periodization more... :rolleyes: (I always screw it up some how...:D)

5. Guizzy

Guizzy with Arnaud and Eustache

So I'm not the only one in the hernia club! :p

So what one did you get?
    Mine's inguinal. I call him Arnaud; and I pet him about once every hour. When he gets rowdy, I have to shove him back hard into his hole. But most of the time, we get along just fine! :eek:

6. GhostOfYourMind

I had a reducible inguinal hernia. Put me outta commission for about 3-4 months (of no lifting or MA...:(). I'm fine now. As a matter of fact, I just DLed 260 tonight for the first time in my life relatively easily, and no problems at all with George (yeah...named mine too...seems to be the thing to do huh?:D). They didn't even use mesh, so I'm guessing I'm all healed up quite nicely. I was lucky with mine though; didn't hurt at all when it was popping out or anything, and occasionally I'd pop it in and out just for kicks...(it's oddly fun...lol!). Yeah...this thread has taken a turn for the weirder...:D:D

7. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

I really don't think you'd be affected horribly by not doing high reps very often but there's def a benefit to doing high reps. You know, you might actually check out that HST program. Yes it seems specific to hypertrophy but it takes you through a variety of rep ranges 2 weeks@15, 2 weeks@10, 2 weeks@5 and 2 weeks@overload...if you don't have a partner, then just add 2 weeks@5. You work a fullbody complex three times a week.

Don't stress about doing high reps. I am willing to stand up proudly and so I have started incorporating all rep ranges between 6-20. I think to often we get caught up in hammering one type of training and neglect others and we don't end up with a well rounded picture. And I also think periodization is great but I think it gets us in the same trap. I've shifted on so many different polar opposites at one time or the other that I've come to the conclusion that sometimes we need to just forget about it, go lift, and have fun. :)

8. GhostOfYourMind

Good advice, thanks. I've decided to fall back on EDT for the time being just to mess around and get rid of some bodyfat I don't want.:D I think, like you said, I got too caught up in just one specific rep/load range. I need to be more "rounded".

On a separate note, would anyone happen to know of any weightlifting groups in Florida, specifically the Ft.Lauderdale/Sunrise area? I need to start lifting with other people, or join a lifting club or something, my mother wants me to get outta the house more...lol!