CAPD Martial Artist here

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by Shrukin89, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Shrukin89

Shrukin89 Valued Member

Hello fellow disabled martial artists, students, sensei's, masters. I was born with a CAPD condition which stands for; Central Auditory Processing Disorder, that affects me at school and still does. I put in a lot of time into school work, and no matter how hard I try, to study or do my homework, I often end up with a very low mark. I usually have a good effort but it comes out as a poor performance. I'm quite a good visual learner, but with visual memory I still need to work on that.

What CAPD does, is that when I hear sentences, some words don't get interpreted in my brain correctly, so the information needs to be repeated quite frequently or often, or when I have been told directions of what to do I could forget what I was supposed to do in a snap. I sometimes mishear words of what's being said, or what they actually mean in a sentence, I often don't get jokes, with having "big words". I laugh with people "pretending that I get it".

Anyways I have difficulty remembering poomse steps in TKD, even when I have done lots or very little of it, I forget sometimes within a week. I know Basic poomse, Il Jang, and Oh Jang. I have a feeling that I may have to do more than 4 poomses when I hit black belt. I know i'm a good visual learner but i'm not THAT good.

Or maybe if it's when I get nervous or stressed?

2. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

I have to say I personally recognise a lot of these problems myself. I had epilepsy as a child and it affected my short term memory to some extent to. I would only be able to pick things up by note or rote.

Its frustrating isn't it? There is no way of anyone knowing there is anything wrong with you. You don't have a rash or walk a strange way or the benefit of any visual aids (like glasses or walking sticks, etc) yet there is still something wrong with you. People assume your not paying attention or just stupid. Its something I have eventually learned to live with and can now take it mostly in my stride. I noticed it more too when I was pressured like nervous or stressed. My friends said everyone gets forgetful - I just seemed to suffer with it all the time!! :)

3. Shrukin89

Shrukin89 Valued Member

You're absolutely right, some people don't physically see it. But luckily my parents noticed some behaviour change between me and my older brother when I was young.

My sentences didn't make really any sense when I talked. I mumbled lots, easily distracted (any noise, or anything that I see), the distractions created more fears when there is such things going on, (such as getting into fights, dogs, suspicious people "with concealed weapons"). I guess I can avoid that by not going into any bars, or to any late night movies.

Yes there was several crazy people during and after the late night movie that me and my friends' saw. Which was The Ring 2. (I left during the previews)

I heard one of the guys say something about "stabbing" in the theatre. Just from that, that fired up my awareness big time. So I peaked just a few seats down from us, sure enough there was a guy that secretly handed over, i'm guessing a 5 inch switchblade to this guy.

I started to feel sick in my stomach, so I quietly told my friends to get out of of this theatre. Then they said why? I said, because I don't trust these guys one bit. So they started questioning me of why they should leave and all. They told me that nothing is going to happen, and told me to watch the movie with them. I told them that i'm going to call my dad to pick me up right away and I wanted to know if they wanted a ride too. They said no.

The guy who had the switchblade, listened into our conversation, and slowly rose out of his chair. I grabbed my jacket that was on my seat, I put my jacket over my shoulder, in case so he couldn't throw the switchblade fully through my jacket, and that I had my hand up that carried my jacket to carry out a block if he had attacked, and I casually walked down the set of stairs that was in the movie theatre.

I called my dad, when he came, he got all upset of why i'm not with my friend's watching the movie. I said "because there is a guy with a switchblade and that I don't trust him." My dad didn't believe of what he had heard. He thought "oh yeah many people hide weapons in their pockets in theatres, and in schools." I said "yeah, because these people ought to do something stupid with these weapons someday."

After the movie, my friend's say that I know TKD and that I could beat the crap out of these guys, that appeared to be a threat. I thought to myself, uh yeah with 7-10 guys either on drugs, or just plain psycho, and that I could handle them, uh yeah but the numbers tho, with uh weapons, a little bit freaky.

I was wondering if those guys had bothered them. They said "The movie was great", and that everything was fine. It's like they never saw anything happen, as to what I saw.

Until when I got home, they said that those several people from that row, moved into another theatre. So they wouldn't get caught, from me by telling the employees, or the manager that they're psycho's in there.

I thought to myself of what would have happened if I told one of them, the movie would have stopped, and everybody would have complained about ruining the movie cuz of me, and me explaining to what they have looked like.

I thought that I did the right thing, as a response to avoid a possible situation or problem. But my friend's and my dad thought that it's a normal thing, and not aware of the cause of what might have happened.

Ugh :S