Can't sleep.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by TheDog, Sep 28, 2013.

1. TheDog

TheDog Banned Banned

Yet again. Dammit. It doesn't happen all that often, just every day for a week every so often.

It's not just an inability to sleep we're talking about. It sounds silly, but I get... well, for the first 17 or so years of my life I used to get beaten up and stuff on a regular basis, and when I can't sleep I can remember every minute of it, sometimes it's as if I can actually see it. There's a particularly bad one where I got picked up by a couple of guys and thrown on the floor, and my leg still hurts on winter's days.

Valium helps, but I'm not allowed any more of that. Apparently I got overly fond of the stuff.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking in terms of maybe some sort of herbal thing?

2. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

Is it more about fear, like a nightmare, or more about suffering? I know some people can even feel physical pain in these cases...

3. TheDog

TheDog Banned Banned

It's more about suffering, I suppose, if you can call it that. It's the memory of the humiliation that's the worst.

4. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

Hot milk
    Camomile tea.

Valium is addictive and withdrawal is unpleasant. I had a prescription for Zopiclone that helped me sleep. Didn't need to take it too often thankfully.

5. TheDog

TheDog Banned Banned

Sure, just those little blue pills make my life so much easier. Not a permanent solution, I know, but I think around 3 AM tonight I'll be prepared to kill for one.

6. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

Yes, camomile and hot milk are the obvious ones.
    Getting rid of the problem is the second best. I've experienced something similar in the past, not in such a strong way tough, and I noticed that it happened more under certain circumstances and less under others. Exponentially privilege the latter over the former, and then the problem was gone.

7. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I would tend to believe, that a good workout will relax-tire the body as so to make it easier to sleep

Insomnia is one of my worst enemies. I don't suffer from it from previous events which may have been violent or humiliation. At my age, I do not get humiliated as often in comparison as in my youth. And back then, most things didn't effect a sorrow of pride.

When I can't sleep, I start to think of relaxing thoughts. If this doesn't help, I start writing. Writing a story or such, allows one to quickly get mental exhausted, which sleep deprivation contributes to a racing mind.

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

9. unpossible

unpossible Valued Member

Are you web surfing or watching t.v. in the evening? The blue light from them can disrupt the circadian rhythm.

10. Simon

Any anxiety can do the same. The body cannot differentiate between different forms of stress.

If you have money worries, just had an argument, or are thinking over past beatings it's all stress and that releases cortisol, the "wake up" hormone.

This is why I always recommend preparing for sleep.

PC, TV and lights off, reading a book often helps or some very basic meditation (which you can learn in 5 minutes).

The mind wanders all over the place and focus is what's required.

Focusing on the breathing is the best way to start.

11. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

DUDE if your serious about your martial arts STOP TAKING VALIUM. That crap kills your cardio and is highly addicting if you are already not addicted.. THEY DO NOT HELP SLEEP its for anxiety.

Buy the natural sleepy tea for your local supermarket. Benzodiazapam is NOT THE ANSWER

12. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

Any type of drug is not a good long term solution.
    Just out of curiosity: do you drink coffee / tea?
    I've found that when I quit coffee and tea for a while, I sleep longer, better, and more easily. Otoho when I drink coffee during the day, I tend to not get sleepy until midnight or well past it.

13. Simon

Understanding the half life of caffeine may be a good idea.

Here is an article I wrote on the subject of caffeine, with an excellent follow up by CosmicFish.

14. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I noticed codeine helped me sleep could someone cycle through different sedatives to avoid the accumlative negative effects.

15. Simon

That is something a doctor should presciribe.

Nothing should be recommended here other than natural remedies.

16. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Valerian tea is good.

Also someone already mentioned the blue-light issue. Cheap computer glasses from ebay could be worth a go. Wear them inside when it's dark outside...

17. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Very daft idea, IMO.

18. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

It could be said that nothing posted should be the absolute remedy. It could be thus said, perhaps seek medical advise also

19. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I read that lying in twice a week can negate much of the bad effects of poor sleep.

20. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

No. It doesn't.