Can't skip properly due to injury

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Hapuka, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Hey guys, so I recently caught up with my old boxing coach and I've decided to go back into boxing after a two and a half year break recovering from a major motorcycle crash that has left my left ankle pretty mangled. I've been to physio and received rehab and got the all clear to resume training. But sadly the lack of flxibilty (thanks to inserts) and having a chunk of my ankle removed (thanks to necrotizing fasciitis) makes it hard to skip and at times it can be painful too. Its a real blow because I enjoyed skipping.

I know there is no substitute for skipping, but I'm wondering if there are any other exercises that can provide a similar benefit. My coach reccomended either running or swimming. But I was wondering if there are any other suggestions too.

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

If you've got jacked ankles avoid any cardio that strains them.

Swimming or cycling is ideal.

3. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

This.

I would have thought that running would probably be best avoided if your ankles are knacked. Although some types of running would be less bad than others, e.g. trail running is lower impact than road running.

4. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Wow :eek: NF is bad, bad news. In just about every other case I've known of it couldn't be halted until after it'd claimed a couple of limbs and often the victims life. The debridement procedures alone are pure agony from what I understand.

Did they place you in a hyperbaric oxygen chamber? It's often the case that a victims quick-thinking doctor placing them in one was the only thing that ended up saving the limb(s).

Just make certain the trails aren't rife with large roots, rock crevices or run through eroded creek beds - they can do a number even on healthy ankles!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  5. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Good point!

6. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

I was lucky as mine was caught early, I came very close to having blood poisoning. No, I wasn't placed in an hyperbaric oxygen chamber, I remember being rushed into surgery as soon as the diagnosis was made. But yes, the removal of the tissue was very painful (a solid 12 out of 10 on the old pain scale), as well as the skin graft. On top of that, dealing with morphine withdrawal which made me feel as if I had spiders under my skin. After the plastic surgery I had a fancy medical vaccum sealer that was kept on my ankle for about a week, that made sure that the graft took.

7. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

That's just horrific. Absolutely horrific. You are so fortunate that you had such a keen surgeon. Usually the surgery is only the first of many as they have to keep going back, cutting more and more of the person away. Apparently, all it takes is leaving less than a pin-head of the necrotic tissue behind and it grows like madness.

I've heard stories of people having 20, 30 or more surgeries in an attempt to remove it. In one lady I knew of, it even spread to her lung. The pain was so terrible they had to put her in a coma.

Something out of a horror film.

Glad you are recovering, Hapuka!

Cheers,

8. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

This may sound crazy, but walking with a heavy backpack on. Walking is underrated

9. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Walking is good, but doing it with a heavy backpack on might put a bit to much strain on her knees.

What about using a cross-trainer?

10. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

I could give it a go, my knees are pretty solid. Fortunately I live next to a mountain trail, unfortunately its winter and that means that the trails are too wet and muddy to walk up at the moment. I have an exercycle at home that I've been using, I need to find myself a good program that I can work too. I think if I shed a few pounds it will make skipping and running easier in the future.

11. Dead_pool

Bro, that will strain the hell out of your ankles, have you thought about kettlebells instead?
    Or rowing machine?

12. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Where I live out in middle of nowhere I don't have much access as far as gyms are concerned, not locally, as it is I travel half an hour to training 4 nights a week. I have a home gym in the works, at the moment I have a heavy bag, an exercycle and some weights.

13. Dead_pool

Cool just do HIIT training which doesn't involves impact to your ankles.

You've got a cycle, KBs are cheap, squats, pushups etc are free.

14. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Hey Hapkua.

One of my instructors broke both his ankles and a fibula in a motorcycle accident long ago. He cannot run or skip rope (his dad was a boxing coach). He had to re-learn how to walk. He walks with a limp-stride manner. Oddly, he can still kick hard. He created his own set of routines to compensate for any he could no longer perform. Skipping rope is only a coordinated cardio routine which can be substituted. Don't get stuck with the mentality of "what you used to do", but what you "can currently do".

(Mental Note: Someone-help, there was a discussion between Bruce Lee and a student. The student complained how they could not stretch or perform like they had many years before. I am trying to remember who was the student and how did the discussion went-in details)

15. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

When I tore my chest ligaments, as I was healing I was speaking to my daughters Bjj instructor, saying it hurt when I lifted things in front, he said don't lift things in front then

16. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Kettle bell swings don't look to use ankle flexion if you can do them?

17. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Assuming your physio is fine/full go ahead. I can only slightly compare my situation with yours in regards to having low impact cardio.
    Hope you get better and find a combination that suits you best.

Thinking of what you can do..

Rowing Machine. There is some ankle motion in regards to having the momentum to pull, but keep it light resistance and gradual build in regards to workout time.

Crosstrainer. I generally don't like it but I had to learn to love due to my knees. However with the foot pads being in complete contact at all times, the impact is generally low but will work you ankle's flexibility.

I would agree with the swimming if available to you, its very low impact, fun and a full body workout.

18. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Weirdly enough, I find that burpees don't hurt my ankles or knees as long as I don't rush through them (I do the low impact version, putting one leg out a time but I still include the jump at the end).

I can jump, my problem is that I can't do continous hopping (skipping) or land independently on my left foot as its too jarring.

My physio has reccomended either swimming or cycling. At the moment I've been doing cycling. I'm going to have a look into kettle bells and their benefits.