Can't get back to training...

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by New Guy, Apr 12, 2007.

1. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

I had a quite few exams recently, and lots of workload + part time job...

When the exams has finished, I feel like being extremely lazy... and picked up some bad habits, sleeping in the morning and waking up in the afternoon... and of course, haven't got back to training...

Its being a few weeks now... I felt shiat... don't know what to do...:(

2. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

It's mind over matter. Just make yourself go! Force yourself out of the house and to the dojo.

3. Cathain

Cathain Lily Lau Gar

Yes, the longer you leave it the tougher it will be.
    There’s nothing else for it, you’ll just have to take the plunge.
    You might not feel better for it right away, but you definitely will in a week or two.

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I think you do know; it's just that knowing it isn't enough.

Start small. Set an alarm and get up by 10am. (God, as a parent, I can't even fathom sleeping until 10am anymore.) Go to bed at whatever time you need to to reliably get up in the morning.

I remember back when I'd roll out of bed in the PM. Mucks up your entire day. The rest of the world operates in daylight. So if you want to participate in it, GET UP.

Stuart

5. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Yeh ap has some good advice.

I think most of us have been where you are now.

It is mind over matter.

Try using something to motivate you again, music, films, books all might help, i know they do with me.

And even reading the journals on MAP makes me want to go train too.

Just think, how are you ever going to get anywhere in life lying in bed all day? your only young once so dont waste any time!! ;)

6. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

Force yourself to go once.
    Then you'll find out whether you still want to train. If you don't, try something else, another hobby. Find something to love and cherish.

7. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

It comes from within! Maybe you should ask yourself why you don't want to, and answer honestly!

8. RheeTKD

RheeTKD Valued Member

Yeah what Hiroji said. Personally, martial arts films motivate me to keep training :)

9. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

Tell me about it! I have two kids in college. Their schedule and the schedule of their friends is enough to get my blood boiling.

10. angacam

angacam Mare Est Vita Mea

LOL, I know what you guys mean. 4 kids, 1 grand kid, I own my own bussiness, Teach 3-4 nights a week and 1 Saturday, T-ball practice once a week, softball twice a week, 2 games a week 1 t-ball, 1 soft ball, usually 1 seminar a month, I don't think I have gotten to bed before 1 am in a year or two and up by 7 on weekdays and 9 on weekends. So to the OP, suck it up JR. Life is too short as it is you will get all the sleep you need when you are dead. Now get your butt back in the dojo and train! :D

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

The parents have spoken, New Guy. Get off your backside, grab a shower, and get on with your day. :D

12. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

I guess I knew what to do in the beginning... but I couldn't get around doing it...

E.g. I just woke up and it is 13.16 now, the training starts at 18.30, I should be in my uniform at 17.55 and starting driving at 18.00.

This is so strange... I knew when I shall be doing what all this week, but when it comes to it, I just couldn't do it... I either keep watching TV or whatever...

Let's see what happens in 5 hours...

13. UntappedPower

UntappedPower New Member

I've had this problem before, but I think the hardest part is just getting on the road to doing it again. For the longest time I had 0 motivation to get up and go train, but as soon as I started training I was happy I did it and couldn't imagine why I put it off at all.

Theres nothing to it really besides just getting over that initial lazyness, for me anyways.

14. Lily

Lily Valued Member

We'll all be waiting to hear you had your first training session after your break :) Good luck.

I keep a log in s/sheet format and it motivates me to go every day as I can see the unmarked days when I'm just being a lazy bimbo.

15. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

I used to be just like that when I finished school. Getting up at 4pm, going out at 6pm and not getting home till like 8 am every day. Makes you feel like a zombie.

Sleeping patterns take time to fix. I went to the doctors and he have me a mild sleeping tab to take for 7 days. I took it 8 hrs before I wanted to get up and in no time it was routine again.

Training is impossible unless your sleeping patterns are pretty decent. You loose soooooo much motivation when you feel like crap from poor quality sleep. Sleep should be your no1 goal atm.

16. Chuckster

Chuckster New Member

Try to do some of the MA breathing exercises: Tan Jung or Dan Jung (whatever the name) Practicing the breathing exercises taps into some energy (Ki or Qi-again, whatever the name) and will help you direct that energy into your workout. At any rate, all of us are busy and stressed out from work, family, school, etc., etc., and martial arts training is an important way to cope with that stress. Keep working and good luck to you...
    Chuckster

17. angacam

angacam Mare Est Vita Mea

IMHO, lack of sleep or lack of motivation is no excuse for missing out on training. IF you want to train. I have found that getting up, getting into the dojo and onto the mat erases all the negative energy from me. I try to leave all that stuff at the door. In most cases no matter how tired, angry, depresed, burnedout, or whatever negative I felt before I hit the mat 5 Minutes into a session it is gone and I am ready to go.

"Try not! Do or do not! There is no try!"

18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

There's your problem, right there. Let's see? Is this YOUR life or not? If it is, what on earth are you doing sitting around waiting to see what'll happen? Here's a secret: If you don't do anything, NOTHING will happen. So get up. In the time it took you to log onto MAP and post this, you could've showered and gotten dressed.

19. Cathain

Cathain Lily Lau Gar

That happens to me a lot, but usually not with MA training.
    It's called procrastination - always puuting something off until the last minute or until it's too late.

Tbh, thre will be times I don't feel like I can be bothered training.
    But by the time I'm there I'm glad I did and I feel a million dollars when I'm coming home. Feeling much better than if I had just stayed at home feeling guilty about not going & lounging about.

The thing is that you can't just go when you feel like it.
    You have to go when you don't feel like it because you will be glad you did & feel much better for it.

If it really is such a problem getting motivated then maybe you need to try a new MA that inspires you to get up and go to it more. And then......maintain that level of motivation.

20. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

What do you mean? I have got up (and gotten dressed) at the time I wrote the post.

Actually I did got into my car yesterday and was in a "ready to go state", but just before I turned on the car's engine, I suddenly just don't want to go... I don't know why, maybe I am just weird...

I mean, on one hand I really want to go train... but at the same time my "other half of the brain" kept telling me it is easier to just stay home to train tomorrow...