Can't afford a gym, what now?

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by tokyo, Nov 8, 2010.

1. tokyo

tokyo Valued Member

So I've been looking at gyms, but I'm not sure I can afford it right now. What can I do to get prepared while I figure out a way to make room in my budget for a gym membership.

Should I join a cheap-o fitness gym like planet fitness($20 month)? Should I see if I can find an affordable western boxing gym so I can at least work on my punching?

2. liero

liero Valued Member

For sparring and technique, def. Look at an amature boxing gym! Very cheap normally and SOMETIMES good quality instruction.

One option is that alot of places offer a free lesson/weeks training/etc, if you go to all the clubs in your area you can get a good taste of a variety of arts and teacher which may help you make a decision about your eventual choice of club.

Also if you make a good relationship with a club/instructor you like and explain at the end of your "trial" that you really enjoy the training but can't afford it they may help you out.

If you are concerned about fitness training, I'd suggest Ross enamaits "never gymless" for a good compendium on cheap bodyweight focussed training

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Amatuer boxing gym over the fitness gym any day of the week. You will get fitter... get a better mindset and be in the loop.

Fitness gyms are usually full of clueless trainers, wanna be body builders and bent dudes looking to rope-a-dope in the showers. That whole lot deserves each other in a big way.

Get yourself down to the local boxing gym and soak it up. Worth every cent and 10X more.

4. ThaiNinja

ThaiNinja Valued Member

I would pick the boxing gym personally, this will be more of a benefit i think and help you keep up your training as you say with your striking etc. As liero says you can do bodyweight circuits etc in your own time, and go running, get yourself a pull up bar to great piece of kit!

5. liero

liero Valued Member

Slip makes a fine point. A boxing gym will be many many many times better than a generic gym for martial related goals.

Do it?!

6. SenseiMattKlein

SenseiMattKlein Engage, Maverick

Some guys train clients in their garages for a reasonable amount. Remember, their overhead is low. Ask around. Also, might check if there is a YMCA in your area. They have some low-cost programs. Junior colleges can be good value as well.

7. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

Yeah the boxing gets my vote. Whether it's for self defense or sport, the 3 most important tools you'll ever need are learning how to throw a punch, how to take a punch, and fitness. The boxing covers all 3 nicely.

8. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Isn't planet fitness the one with lunk alarms and are against people actually becoming fit?
    If so burn it down, still go to the boxing gym ether way.

9. rivend

rivend Valued Member

Isn't New Hampshire a pretty well to do state they may not have any cheap old boxing sweat and cigar smoke gyms. But that would be the way to go if they have one in your area.

10. tokyo

tokyo Valued Member

I wouldn't call NH a "well to do state", although there are certainly areas that are a bit more well off than others, just like in any state. We are certainly not connecticut.

I am having trouble finding any boxing gym in my area. The closest one I can find is about 50 minutes away.

I'll try the YMCA