Cane Technique -- Is this practical?

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by Jewbacca, Dec 20, 2003.

1. Jewbacca

Jewbacca New Member

Many of the techniques that I know with a cane, have to do with somebody trying to disarm me. This was originaly a wrist-lock, but I turned it into a throw, more or less. (Assume the opponent's are facing eachother)

1. Cane is held in both hands, palms down.

2. Opponent places left hand on the right side of the cane.

3. Cane user's right hand slides over to cover the opponent's hand, to prevent him from letting go, and wheels the rightmost end of the cane over the opponent's wrist (forcing the wrist to bend at an akward and painful angle)

Improvisation: From here, *if* the opponent's left elbow bows outward, the right end of the cane can pass under his armpit, and can be used as leverage for a hip throw.

Is this practical? Am I paying too much attention to one side of the opponent's body?

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Try it against resistance - it';s the only sure way to find out!

Looking forward to your findings!

3. Hakko-Ryu

Hakko-Ryu New Member

My old instructor used to emphasise on cane. it's a deceptive weapon that's for sure...he takes it whenever he goes on the plane nowdays...for "protection"...but yoda is right...training w/ resistance is a good way to find out.

4. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Sounds like it could be, like Yoda says, you'd need to test it out on a willing victim.. err.. training partner :D

I should think you'd have to do it pretty quick, especially if you wanted to engage a hip throw?

Also, what if he puts his hand on the left side of the cane?

P.S Good to see you back ;)

5. Jewbacca

Jewbacca New Member

Hehe... then we employ my good friend, foot stomp + head butt. Dummy search in progress.

6. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

My instructor has gone into great depth about can techniques. I can tell you this much, they hurt alot and are quite effective. Just like anything though it takes alot of practice. Some how I have managed to earn the pristiege of being his favorite uke. My philosophy has been 'if I let you throw me you have learned nothing, if I make you throw me you have learned volumes.' So needless to say it works and it hurts BAD.

Another angle on it though is if you happen to have a cane on you when you're in a fight why wouldnt you use it as a weapon? Take every advantage you can get.

7. SaiMaster

SaiMaster New Member

The technique I learned to counter a grap of my cane was to simply twist the cane quickly with some force breaking their grip then immediately poke them in the stomach with it.

8. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

This technique sounds like a variation on nikyo or s-lock. It can be very effective but does take some practice to get right.

Are you ignoring the other side of the attacker's body? Only you can answer that when in that situation. Are they already trying to hit you with with the other hand? If they are, then you need to address that. If not, then you could continue with the nikyo. But I would want to move away from the other hand at same time as the joint lock.

There's one aspect of this technique I don't really like - you have to take the time to slide your hand down and cover the attacker's hand. I'd rather apply the lock, missing out this bit. Their hand will come off but you will have unbalanced them and now have the end of the stick pointing straight at their torso, so you can immediately jab them with it.

Mike