Candlestick throw?

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by Mangosteen, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Hey guys can you help me identify the alternative names of this technique?

So at 7:18, our man Billy does a leg lift with an overlook, he meets too much resistance so he switches throw, and ties the same side with the other arm moves his foot under his opponents centre of gravity then drops and spins through.

I know this as a candlestick throw but Google pulls up no results.
    What other names and technical videos do you guys know?

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Looked like a variation of sumi gaeshi (sacrifice throw) from judo. I could be (probably am) wrong. Here's a vid my old coach did a while back:

cloudz, Dead_pool and Mangosteen like this.
  3. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I actually think that Hannibal has posted a video on this, or something very similar, in the technique thread.

Edit: Here it is:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    axelb and Mangosteen like this.
  4. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

It's a shoulder throw variation, basically. with the added turning/ spinning transition from outside (overhook/whizzer) to the inside position.

5. David Harrison

Yeah, same basic mechanic.

6. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

nice

7. David Harrison

Oh, and it's nice to have you back Mangosteen! :)

Mangosteen likes this.
  8. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Looked to me, like he was trying Uchi-Mata first and switched to Yoko-Otoshi.
    Only thing I also noticed: I learned Yoko-Otoshi with a slightly difference regarding the position of the legs.

Dead_pool likes this.
  9. Mangosteen

I don't think it's yoko otoshi because he isn't trying to block the leg, but he it's only out to change position after the throw.

10. Mangosteen

Yeah not a drop seoi nage.
    Cloudz do you have any videos or names for me to search?

It's defo a sumi gaeshi/dragon screw variation.

I wonder if hannibal can weigh in on the different foot positions between his and Billy's version from a wrestling perspective

11. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Yeah, that's what I meant with different leg position.

But Sumi-Gaeshi?
    Maybe it's because the video is very dark there, but I don't see him using his leg to support the throw - something I learned is part of Sumi-Gaeshi?
    Am I wrong with that and the leg isn't used?

Mangosteen likes this.
  12. Mangosteen

I wondered the same thing but the sumi gaeshi variation van zandt posted doesn't use the leg to support lifting the opponent

13. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Yoko-Wakare?
    I'm pretty sure, I threw the throw (EDIT: The one you're asking about)already... during technique learning, only, but did it!

EDIT: You just made me frustrated with not remembering :p

Mangosteen likes this.
  14. Mangosteen

Ding ding ding we have a winner. its a wrestling yoko wakare I think!

15. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Finally!
    It drove me nuts, since I was so sure I knew it, I couldn't stop thinking about it :oops::D
    And now I remember I got actually thrown it, during my Ajukate grading randori lol

Now I can try and find the names of two locks I need to know...
    Maybe thinking about the name of the throw wasn't that bad after all :rolleyes:

Mangosteen likes this.
  16. Mangosteen

Describe the locks?

17. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Harry showing it too- his lack of a bad back makes his significantly smoother than mine!

Ben Gash CLF and David Harrison like this.
  18. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Sure.
    I try anyway.

We teach it the kids, so it's nothing difficult or complicated. Grown-ups have to show more ;)

I hope I use the correct words!
    Very basic ones:

1. A wristlock.
    For example if the lapel gets gripped.
    The arm is stretched; the hand/arm gets turned outward, until the little finger is up and the thumb down; now the hand gets moved "upwards", so that the trend is 90° between hand and forearm.

2. A shoulder lock, with Uke on his stomach
    I end half the time in that lock, when doing my grading programs: You throw Uke, turn him on his stomach and stretch his arm, so that it looks up. From here you move the arm towards the direction of the head.

I notice I'm horrible at describing them right now; I can make a picture of it.
    These are utterly basic (at least in JJJ) and nothing special at all, I just don't know the names. Funny enough neither do the teachers I asked so far.
    I'd only need a useful pointer to search them, as I'm not finding something useful so far.

19. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

@Hannibal: I like that throw and was shown it already too.
    But that one is more... uhm... lack of proper words... I need to eat a dictionary... isn't that one not throw more "over the own head" instead of the whole body?

20. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

I'm awful with oriental terms in particular for techniques. The horizontal entry dynamics and horizontal nature of the throw differ to typical shoulder throws that keep the vertical aspect. Your positioning is also offset against the limb, rather than the more central 'back to body' on the 'vertical' entry. See 'drop shoulder throw' posted by David.

Nice moves, thanks for posting, I think I'll end up playing around with these next time I get a chance. The Judo variation (posted by VZ) where she stays outside looks nice too! Will be interesting if it carries over well without the jackets, looks like it should.

David Harrison and Mangosteen like this.