can you tell someones teacher by the way they move

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by tai-gip, Sep 3, 2003.

1. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

Ive had a few instructors, when i pretended i was a beginner new to martial arts in a trial class, tell me to forget it and go back to so and so ..... but i cant tell... can anyone else ...and if so how??

Last edited: Sep 3, 2003
  2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I hope not - that would indicate cloning rather than education.

3. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

Probably not, in my style -- you're supposed to make all the moves your own.

4. juramentado

juramentado lean, mean eating machine

yes, you can tell if someone studied an martial art and if you are familiar with the various teachers of the style, you can also figure out who he studied under.

In a lot of arts, especially the large ones, you have various teachers with their own following. And each of these teachers often have their own interpretations of the style and what they prefer to emphasize when they teach. Naturally these different students will move with some unique characteristics.

5. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

Cloning yoda? just imagine a class full of tai gips lol

6. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

Well, bunny rabbits are known for their prowess in multiplication! :D

7. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I've had classes like that.

The emotional scars will heal in time :p

8. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

lol im in classes like that
    lol im in classes like that
    so am i
    Cool avatar kinjiro

9. shadow joe

shadow joe seeker of truth

yes i think so, you first need indoctrination, a foundation of knowledge where the first steps are mimicry, then you make it your own through practice and understanding. Yet you still should move like your sifu if they are worth anything. I forget his name but the Ving Tsun master who studied near the lineage of Moy Yat definitely moves like his sifu.

The gracie's seem to move like Grand Daddy Hoyce, so i guess it's all on interpretation...

if i could mimic a master in every way, I would be definitely content with being a clone. ...

10. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

I kind of train under two different instructors, one of them trained under the other instructor for a while, so it's probably very likely the instructor who trained my other instructor for a while could tell I train with him since I pick up a lot of things for him and I've been told I'm starting to look like him wrestling.

But other than that, I don't know... I can differentiate some of the Machados from the Gracies, etc. because the Machados all have the same techniques which makes sense since all the instructors in Australia have been primarily taught by one guy. Machados suck too, I'm ashamed to be one.. hopefully I won't be one for much longer. :D

11. Tireces

Tireces New Member

Depends on the teacher and what they teach precisely. But no one should be looking to reject you from their school simply because you've taken other martial arts.

12. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

probably some history between the two teachers that you are not aware of...

13. kempocos

kempocos Valued Member

I think it also has to do with you not being honest. You tell them you have no training. Then when you move they can tell the style and guess the teacher by who teachs that style in the area.

to answer the question
    Not unless it is a defined radius, not inside of lets say the USA. I think far too many people train aqnd there are too many schools.

14. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

In the beginning, yes, of course. Students imitate teachers.

In the end, usually not. Eventually people make their chosen art their own and they move in their own way. But, a particular teacher might have a characteristic way of doing a particular technique. Then when you see someone else doing that movement in that way, you'd know he spent some time with that teacher.