Can you or anyone you know do a bicycle kick?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Hazmatac, Mar 6, 2014.

1. aka The Clerk

aka The Clerk Valued Member

Experience speaks its weight in gold. Maybe someone can't give you an equation of X2+Y-r= this kick doesn't work, if someone with the experience level of oh, I don't know, let's say Hannibal in this instance says "based on my years of training this isn't going to work/isn't realistic, etc." odds are there's a good chance it isn't going to work.
    By all means if you have it in your head that there's this awesome kick (or series of) that you want to try and feel you can make work, hey go for it!

But consider this, there aren't all that many original ideas out there anymore and if there aren't a whole lot of videos and/or stories of a technique being successful, it's probably not because it's not been tried and simply dismissed...

2. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

I see what you're saying. Are you a physics student?
    I get your point although if you are high enough and the first kick is aimed at the head, it could push through the head possibly giving you an opportunity for at least a second kick. That's how it seems to me anyway; thoughts?

3. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

No, I'm a biologist. Again, if you've already pushed your opponent backwards, and you have no forward momentum, what is giving that second kick force? It would be like those two skateboarders pushing each other. Think about the difference between punching someone who's standing and rolling with the punches, vs punching someone who's head is against the ground.

4. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Hazmatac,

Where are you looking at using this?

What situation?

5. Dean Winchester

Stop! Ninja time.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RY7t_baEaA"]Makoto Dojo Tobi Geri Jump Kick - YouTube[/ame]

6. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

Get one of those BOB striking dummies and put it on a pair of skate boards taped together and try it. I do recommend a mat to land on though plus record for posterity

7. Dean Winchester

That needs "god damn" and "not a physicist, Jim" in there.

8. Wooden Hare

Wooden Hare Banned Banned

NO but it is very good indicator.

Raptor beat me to the punch - Newton's 3rd law. Kicking something while airborne means that the kicker will be introduced to force vectors in the opposite direction of the opponent, for each contact, that will change velocity.

Without getting into the calculus it should be pretty clear the bicycle kick is inferior to almost every other kick I can think of, because you will lose significant momentum and energy with each kick, not to mention the risk of a poor landing.

The first kick might connect, but the second and subsequent kicks will be weak.

Complex, stunt-worthy, high risk, low reward technique, hence the lack of videos except for Jackie Chan.

Here is a much better kind of multiple kick technique:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

10. philosoraptor

I can't believe I missed the opportunity for that, there's only so many one gets in a lifetime :[

Edit: I'm typing it out just because.

Goddammit, I'm not a physicist Jim, I'm a biologist.

11. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

A kick may take 3 times more energy to deliver than a punch. A jump kick may take 3 times more energy to deliver than a kick. If you use too many jump kicks in a fight, your endurance may not let you to last very long.

12. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

Sorry, I forgot about your initial post asking this. Well, it is more of an "is it feasible" question. If the mechanics work then it should be applicable for both sparring or a streetfight. Ultimately what I have been gearing my practice/studying towards is real world fighting scenarios (not sport) so if it is battle worthy that is largely what I am looking for.

13. philosoraptor

Sport is much more real world than the matrix noob.

14. aka The Clerk

aka The Clerk Valued Member

I thank you for causing me to spit water on my monitor upon reading this.

15. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

What I mean isn't kicking the opponent backwards with the first kick, but snapping to the head where the head snaps back. If you can kick through the head I don't see that necessarily stopping all of your momentum, if at the very least for only one more kick.

16. Wooden Hare

You'll always be one in my heart.

17. Wooden Hare

Battle worthy?

Only if your opponent is Shang Tsung.

18. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

Hmm I appreciate the post. This is taken into account.

Knowing that you as well as Bill Wallace (not too sure who the other names are) have never pulled it off in sparring make it seem like, if it were to be possible, is pretty much a .0001% of the population move, or less.

19. Dean Winchester

You are missing something.

Just because a technique is mechanically sound does not mean it is appropriate for every arena.

Context drives a lot if what we do, or it should, something's are simply not sound for certain situations.

20. philosoraptor

Again, that doesn't change the scenario. Kicking a backwards moving target will always be less effective than kicking a static opponent, or one who's head is on the ground. Another thing to ask yourself is why deliver two half effort kicks rather than just one real kick?

<3<3<3

I've actually always been kind of bad at physics, cough cough. I'm retaking physics 101 right now on MITs free courses list because I feel kind of like a poser not knowing it that well.