Can you or anyone you know do a bicycle kick?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Hazmatac, Mar 6, 2014.

1. aka The Clerk

aka The Clerk Valued Member

Hannibal....are you...The One?

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e95RJiUaANg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e95RJiUaANg[/ame]

Demolition, mission-man
    The old boy is hating me
    I've become the one, they warned me about
    -oh he's gonna die before me

Long live, long live, long live the king of mercy
    Long live, long live
    Is there no love, I am one
    The side you see, is the nasty me
    Oh I am one
    Love I am one
    I got something to prove
    And nothing to lose
    Oh I am one

18 bloody roses, each a year that bled my soul
    18 and numb, I'm somebody's son
    Mama, look what I've become

Long live, long live
    Oh I am one
    Love I am one
    I got something to prove
    And nothing to lose
    Oh I am one

Is there no love shelter me
    only love, love set me free
    Is there no love shelter me
    only love, love set me free

Will he take me down to the gallows
    And kill the boy inside the man
    I'm just a rock and roll nigger
    I know he don't know what I am

I don't see my face in the mirror
    And more, or understand
    Why am I the chosen one?

I'm the crimson man
    Long live, long live
    Oh I am one
    Love I am one
    I got something to prove
    And nothing to lose
    Oh I am one

3. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Oops! Sorry, lol. Totally misread that.

4. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

If there's one thing I have learnt from visiting forums it is to not assume anything. So unless intent is made clear initially then I stand by my comment, regardless of the OP's later admission of intent.

A triple kick? Highly unlikely to be effective, bordering on the realms of fantasy I would agree. A jumping front or side kick? Even a standard bicyclce kick? Depending on the kick jumping kicks can be very effective. Ask Eric Cantona. :)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  5. Hannibal

Previous form also has some bearing on it

YKW also probably saw what I did, which is use of the phrase "more realistically" - a very clear indicator of where the OP was going with it

6. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Effective in what context?

For what reason?

7. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

I wasn't talking about a triple kick or a high kick in my previous post, but a jump kick where my sparring partner spun as he jumped up and smashed into my head. I also wasn't implying because that is possible I think a triple kick is possible.

Even being experienced with all that, since so few people actually try to train for a triple kick, is it not speculation? I mean, the examples shown aren't that great, but how many people do you know of that have pulled that kick off that you have seen, and how can you be sure that the kick couldn't be improved. I get you have experience, but this thread is for me to understand. So while you may be right, I am not looking for an 'argument from authority.'

I never gave an opinion for or against the kick, unless you mean thinking it might be possible. Judging by your videos it is.

8. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

9. philosoraptor

My guess is that you're fighting basic physics at that point.

10. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I assume when we talk about "jumping kicks", it always has to do with "combat".

Of course you can do your "jumping kicks" for:

- performance,
    - health,
    - self-cultivation,
    - inner peace,

but those are the "by-product".

11. Hannibal

Show me one - ONE - video if someone doing this is anything other than a movie or a compliant demo. I will even take point sparring

You can't can you? Know why?

BECAUSE IT DOESNT BLOODY WORK

It's a movie-fu special - end of

But hey, why listen to someone with vastly more experience than you? Fill your boots - go and waste your time titting about with this...at least it's a hobby. Then when you realise you have wasted your time with it actually do some proper training

12. Hannibal

I have the entire discography on my iPhone at all times

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Triple aerial kicks are common in Olympic taekwondo (in dojangs, not necessarily competition). I can do jumping triple front kicks and flying triple side kicks, alternating feet with each kick (right-left-right for example). I have only ever done them against a sturdy, static target - like a 100lb heavy bag held still by a training partner. You need something that will give you enough resistance so you can push off with your first kick. Mine look nothing like Liu Kang's. But then I haven't mastered defying gravity yet. There is no realistic application for them.

To the OP, I'm a staunch advocate of head kicks in real fights. But trying something like a bicycle kick will get your face smashed in.

14. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

You should ask Van Zandt about it.

It's the only way he can get on a push bike.

Edit: See. :D

15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Should see me in a quidditch match. Harry Potter on a broom is nowt.

16. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

Again, are you not basing this off of only a handful of videos of only a few people? A few cases doesn't necessarily equate to nobody ever being able to do the move well. Unless you are extrapolating based off of your martial arts background which I can understand, but the point here is for me to know why it can or can't work personally not take someone's word. If you have a principle or law to contribute based on your experience then I am interested in hearing it, but that is what I am looking for as opposed to, "because I said so."

And no, I don't have a video of my own featuring a good bicycle kick. The Jackie Chan video was good in my opinion however. It might be a bit hard to pull off in a real life situation, however unless after the first kick makes contact the other two lose power, what I see are three snap kicks. Snap kicks may not have a lot of power, but snap kicks aren't meant to have power. If this does equate to doing three snap kicks, and if a snap kick is valid, then it seems like this technique actually does work (if you train enough at it).

A lack of videos may be more about a lack of people actually applying themselves to learn this technique dismissing it out the gate. It is not necessarily that there is no video showing it well (if there is only a handful of them) but possibly that just a lot of people don't practice it.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  17. Hannibal

You really need that explaining to you? Sweet zombie jeebers....

Why not try this instead?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YBs3I8kDuw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YBs3I8kDuw[/ame]

At least I can find approximate footage of that working

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW8Mf3IL4zA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW8Mf3IL4zA[/ame]

18. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

There is a vast difference between a jump spinning hook kick or back kick and a linear momentum hog like a flying kick.
    I had someone launch a single flying kick at me in a tournament once. Once your in the air your committed to that direction however your opponent isn't committed to being there, and a side step roundhouse is faster and a lot like hitting a homerun in that situation :evil:

19. philosoraptor

Yeah, again, I think you're fighting basic physics with that kick. Yknow that whole Newton's 3rd law thing. If you make a substantial kick with that first kick, you've used up your forward momentum, so the second and third kicks will just be snappy, tappy products of your own muscle, with no grounding.

[​IMG]

20. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Kicking has been my specialty for 25+ years. My coaches included Herb Perez, Benny Urquidez, Bill Wallace and Paul Green. Neither I nor they have ever done a bicycle kick in sparring (let alone real fights), or seen anyone else do it. It hasn't been performed in all the thousands of taekwondo matches that have been recorded (trust me I've watched most of them). It just isn't a feasible technique.