can u break boards?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do Resources' started by neryo_tkd, Oct 24, 2003.

1. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Looking at your school's breaking requirements, might I suggest a forward target with a jump side or front kick and then a spin back kick to a rear target.

Good Luck to you :) !

2. mattsylvester

mattsylvester One proud daddy!

Or a rear elbow.

3. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

Thanks, KC!

I'm leaning towards the walking back kick (not sure if that's the same as a spin back kick??). Would love to do a jumping back kick, but I'm not sure I can pull it off by the end of the month :( .

Did a double-neck chop today (R-hand knife hand slicing palm-up R to L, followed immediately by same hand slicing palm-down L to R). My husband says the boards are worse than panty-hose, for how quickly you run through them, and how much they cost :) .

4. TKDIreland

TKDIreland TKDIreland Kicks Ass!!

ok well first

yes from my own experience from green belt up you must attempt to break

yes you do still pass if you fail to break

the amount of boards dedpends on the belt and technique

the technique all depends on what belt your going for. for example when i went for my red belt i had to do a jumping spot side kick, any other kick and a hand tecnique.

hope this helps

5. mattsylvester

How about a flying hand technique? Flying elbow? My proudest moment was when I did 4 inches with an elbow. Since then I've just hurt myself! :)

6. TKDIreland

TKDIreland TKDIreland Kicks Ass!!

wow very impressive thats wicked. yeah elbow strike is pretty powerful :)

7. mattsylvester

It was whilst I was taking a break from TKD and doing Kempo Ryu (politics got too much for me). We did a lot of padwork and a LOT of elbows. Plus at that time i was training about 15 hours a week. Just blasted straight through! :)

8. marcusknight

marcusknight Valued Member

tips??

ive been doing ma for 11 years but dont break boards ect, a year a go i broke a double breeze block with a palm strike but i seriously hurt my rist so never tried again, im not sure i have the confidence to try that again.
    any tips on cofidence and techniques, id like to try hook kicking and spinning back kicks thru wood.
    cheers :D

9. Romantic

Romantic Martial Prowess

I've broken plenty of boards berfore in the past. But it never showed me real power though.

10. dfilson

dfilson New Member

We do breaks during tests at my school and that's pretty much it, we've never practiced them during class. And yes, you have to successfully complete the break to pass the test. The specifics of the break depend on what belt you are testing for.

11. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

Is there any aspect of the training that makes you happy and enthusiastic? :confused:

12. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

I regularly destroy wooden pallets at work, takes too long with a hammer so I just do various techniques on them until they're how we like them, then we can just put the box on another pallent.

13. FireMedic

FireMedic New Member

An interesting thread. My input as I've only been doing TKD for a yr now with my 6 yr old daughter. We started breaking at 8th gup. Yellow. Which my daughter and I recieved in late Feb of this yr. We started out right away with the pine and they were a little intimidating but not a prob with good concentration and technique. So foar I have done 1 board with : elbow, knife hand, punch, and jumping back kick, 2 boards with : jumping back kick the other night, and an axe kick. Bit to put the fears at rest, during our demo the other night where I broke the 2 with JBK, my 6 yr old daughter broke 1 board with a knife hand strike. She worked hard at it. Our semior member, green with blue stripe ( 6th gup??) with a jumping side kick was surprised by our subumnim when he said instead of 2 boards he would be doing 3. His first attempt he said he pulled back and we heard the "thump" of no break. Next shot though he was at head hieght and broke the 3 like they were match sticks!! got it on video....very impressive. All I need to do now is work on my turning kick. Any tips?? Even though I turn the hips and pull the toes back.....I have broke 2 of them.....OUCH :cry:

14. NeonxBurst

NeonxBurst 1st Black

Boards

I'm only a white belt and I was wondering if it was abnormal for me to beable to break 3 boards with a single punch and 3 boards with a single kick? I was wondering because Im only 5' 9" and 145 LBS. and can bench 100 LBS. :confused:

15. FireMedic

FireMedic New Member

I look at it this way..........5'9....who cares............145lbs.....who cares................break 10 boards at once......who cares.........................the fact that you have HEART............you will move mountains and succeed at what ever you embark on in life. Look at Bruce Lee.......he was smaller than you and lighter. He conquered all. From what I can se so far...............you fall into the catagory of thoose with HEART. Way to go!!!!! and keep on kickin.

16. dfilson

dfilson New Member

Well put FireMedic!

17. Cyrax

Cyrax Forever Student

Boards Don't Hit Back...-bruce Lee

18. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

Here we go with Bruce Li again

19. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Neither do punchbags, focus mits, kick shields, wooden dummies and over compliant partners.

The point is it's a learning tool.

LEARNING..................TOOL.

20. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

he he he well put Tosh :D :D :D