can u break boards?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do Resources' started by neryo_tkd, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

I have to agree here, breaking boards is a waste of time.

2. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

eh, it's good for solidifying your technique. i'd rather hit a board while i'm learning, than learn the hard way when my technique fails because it sucks, and oh! look - now i'm a grease spot on the floor!

3. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

That's your problem, we perfect technique with bag/pad work and sparring, not hitting inanimate objects that do not react as do people.

4. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

board braking fu
    come learn the secret way to successfully defend yourself against a tree :D :D :D :D :D :D

5. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

hey i don't think it has a thing to do with self defense. but it is a good way to know if you're striking correctly

plus it's just fun :D

6. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

geeeeeeez just playing around
    did'nt you notice the :D

7. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

yeah, i have one of my own
    see :D
    :p

being serious for a minute (i know, it's so rare!), i really would take bag/pad work & sparring over board breaking. i enjoy boards, but other than being fun & being an ok test of my technique, i don't see much use for it. you give me a technique, i'll break the board - it's not something i think about anymore. pad drills & sparring, tho... always room for improvement. which is why i spent 3 hours sparring tonight, and not board breaking.

8. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

Bags and pads dont hit back either :rolleyes:

9. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

If the person holding it is doing it right yes they do, because they're striking back at you with them, perhaps you need to look into that.

10. Rin

Rin Valued Member

At the school I trained at we were required to break boards at every belt or level test. It's not really the most important training but I do believe it helps with accuracy and incorporate atleast SOME power into that accuracy. You wouldn't want to be able to hit a target only to brush your leg over it talking about "woo right on target". Even though the boards are pretty easy to break you might ask your teacher to make it two or three. And it builds a little aggressiveness into less aggressive students that are afraid they might hurt their legs or hands or arms trying to break a board.

But towards my redbelt we were required to do one pre decided kick/punch and one freestyle along with the forms and all (I can't really remember if we had sparring in it too I believe we did).

11. Rin

Rin Valued Member

Bags have the problem that you can get by just being timid and not hitting hard enough if youre at a lower level, so enough to break the board is the minimum amount of force REQUIRED.

12. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

Again, then your partner isn't doing it right, we use Thai pads and those things are hard, you don't hit them hard you hurt yourself and then we beat you with them for not trying.

It's a dual exercise, both have to put something into it to get something from it, unlike breaking a board which doesn't resist and doesn't match a human body by anymeans, it just gives false confidence which doesn't apply to reality.

13. Rin

Rin Valued Member

Heh, well I do feel sorry for the person that thinks breaking a board means you can break somebodys neck with a sidekick. But then again if anybody is that dumb, they'd get a quick wakeup call.

What i'm saying though is that breaking boards probably helps beginners more than it does more advanced students to help them get more aggressive. But I would agree that pads or heavy bag or a "Bob" as we called them (pretty much a punching bag with a torso) would work better for advanced students to help with accuracy and power.

14. StuartA

No I dont, we already do "alive" pad work and boxing drills (bobbing & weaving drills etc.) etc. And its no where near the same as 'fighting'... but check the smiley on the last post anyway!!! :cool:

Anyway, its the pad holder that hits back.. not the pads! I can do the same with a board if someone really wants!!! :p

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  15. AITKDMan

AITKDMan New Member

board breaking trains your mind just as much as your body. Its another aspect of martial arts training, some people dont like it but to call it useless is short sighted. You hit a bag and have a nice cushiony surface, you hit a board and it doesn't break and you get hurt (or if there are alot of board it hurts even when you break them). Most students, especially kids, start off afraid of the board and unwilling to hit them. They must over come this fear and actually go through the boards. You have to focus more when hitting the boards then the bags because while they might not hit back they sure do hurt when you don't hit them right. Bags are more forgiving. If you mess up a little on one technique when hitting a bag, oh well that looked silly. If you mess up a little while breaking boards, especially some power breaks, broken bones can ensue. So more concentration and precision is necessary.

I personally break boards for myself and no one else. I want to push myself and see how powerful I can get my technique, and continue to learn how to focus my energy. Breaking is a personal goal, although we do require it at every test.

It also teaches you to not let defeat get in your way. Sometimes the breaks dont happen and you have to learn to be ok with that, move on and try again. If you are having problems with a break because mentally you can't do it then you have reach down for that something extra to get yourself through it - push yourself beyond your percieved physical limitations. Bags don't really cover this aspect of training (although sparring does, but not in the same sense).

16. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

Thai pads are far tougher than any board will ever be, I can break a number of boards without injury, I can hit a Thai pad and bust my hand.

17. Counter

Counter Train more. Train harder.

At my school we don't focus much on board breaking, this summer I'll do the exam for my red tag and that will be the first time I break a board. I don't really bother doing it either.. Not because I think it's useless, but more because I'm more into the sparring and that's my main goal.

I do think it's awesome how some people are able to break so many boards!

18. StuartA

Perhaps you need to get a new pad then, after all pad is just a shortern version of "padding" and if you can break your hand then it may have hardened too much!

Alternatively, get a lump of wood the same shap and thickness and thump that! :p

19. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

I take it from your post you have no clue about a real Thai pad, that's a serious shame cause it shows a lack in your game.

20. StuartA

Obviousy not, I mean apart for the fact we use them at our club.. no, I dont!
    These are the ones we have..
    [​IMG].. described on the site that I found the image as "Professional Kickboxing Thai Pad".. so no.. I guess I dont have a clue!

There is something lacking here, but it aint "my game" as I'm not one one who says a pad (ie. padded object) is harder than a lump of wood!!! :Alien:

Stuart