can u break boards?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do Resources' started by neryo_tkd, Oct 24, 2003.

1. martinnharvey

martinnharvey Valued Member

Dont know where in the world you are Sue1, but if you are in the UK I get my clubs eqpt from Academy Sports. They sell breaking boards and the holder
    Their website is http://www.academy-sports.co.uk
    Click the 'Training Equipment' button and scroll down to the ;Rebreakable boards and holder' section.
    Never seen their holder myself, as I made my own, but they are a sound company to deal with

Regards!

2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

The one that we use at our school (which was built by one of our students) has to be held and can hold up to 10 boards (with straps)

This holder on eBay is light weight and can be held or attached to a wall.

Lightweight Board Holder

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Can you post a link to the plans please Sue1?

Thanks,
    Mitch

4. sue1

sue1 Valued Member

Sorry Mitch but as it wasn't what I was looking for I didn't make a note of where I found it and as it was on my work computer and I have done lots of work since then I cannot find it in the history.

Sorry.

Sue

5. Mitch

Ah well, better get my set-square out then! Thanks Sue1, I'll have to make do with my metal holder.

And Mr Minott's wooden one that's sitting in my garage too :)

Mitch

6. RenzokukenRD

RenzokukenRD New Member

To hold the boards we use a wooden breaking frame, very similar to the one on the GTUK video at the link alerady posted. I've been looking for one of these frames myself, but from what I've been told the people in our club who have one all had to build their own.

7. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

Same here. They are not too hard to build. This one was build by one of the students of the club and I have built a few in my time, both junior and adult holders.

[​IMG]
    This one is raised for the jump turning kick for part of a dan grading.

You can also get holders that clip round the boards and protect the hands. I think playwell did them once but I cant find them now.

Stuart

8. RenzokukenRD

RenzokukenRD New Member

Until 1st dan, you are expected to be able to break with both legs. At 1st dan, this requirement is dropped. It returns at 4th dan.

For 1st dan:
    • Any hand technique, 3 boards.
    • Any foot technique, 3 boards.
    • Jumping front snap kick 30cm above head (head height for women, "who presumably only attack short people" our instructor notes) with eihter foot, 1 board.
    For 1st dan (second grading, to 1.5 dan), and onward, I don't know what the breaking is. These are classed as "open" gradings though, which means at the black belt grading I will see people doing this, as opposed to 4th dan and above which are held in private. I remember:
    • To 3rd dan: flying side kick, 1 board, clearing 4-5 people who are kneeling down.
    • To 1.5 (1.5? Who came up with this?) dan: jumping twisting kick
    Which sounds really fun :D:D:D

Since 4th dan+ gradings are in private and you are not informed of what is coming, it can be anything: my instructor had to do 360 jumping back kick (and he admits to not really being the jumping type - very much prefers "street" style TKD).

I can't remember who asked but sorry, no, I can't take a photo, we aren't allowed cameras I don't think. Shame but I promise I will let you know how it goes, it's on Thursday the 14th.

9. StuartA

Do you know why this is Ren? Seems a bit obscure to request it all the way to BB then not!!

• So a 1st kup has to do 5 boards with a foot technique, but only 3 at 1st dan.. again.. isnt this a bit weird!! No set techniques either!

Stuart

10. RenzokukenRD

RenzokukenRD New Member

The reason for using both legs is obviously to ensure equal training of the legs and to make sure you are "ambidextrous" with your feet. Why they drop it at 1st dan - who knows?! The whole thing is mad. And God only knows why it's less boards for 1st dan than for 1st kup, that seems a little backward. No, it seems a LOT backward, but there you go... if it was me I would set some techniques but alas, it's not my choice. I am but a lowly 2nd kup. For now.

11. StuartA

Exactly, Exactly!

Exactly

Exactly

Not exactly.. you are entitled to ask questions and find out the whys (not that you have to mind you).

Stuart

12. Sho_Stylin

Sho_Stylin Valued Member

In my club, we have special 'Black Belt Training Sessions' once a month, after regular training. These training sessions are the only time we break, and therefore only for Dan grades, or 1st Kups.

I myself am only a 9th Kup (8th in 2 days I hope). I'm sort of glad my club doesn't break early on because I don't have the confidence yet.

:Alien:

13. angacam

angacam Mare Est Vita Mea

My favorite break was 1 slab of concrete with my head. What a rush! :D

14. StuartGee

StuartGee Valued Member

We do breaking at my club, we use the re-useable boards that lock together and we have 3 different grades of board - the white one you can pretty much break by bending it, the black board is a lot harder and requires decent accuracy and power, whereas the red one requires excellent accuracy and decent power.

The thing I like about the re-useable boards is that you have to be bang on with your attacking tool placement to break them, especially the red board, if you are too high or too low on the boards then you simply will not break it, no matter how much power you put into the technique, so it teaches the importance of accuracy in your attacks.

As for gradings, I have always had to break in my gradings form yellow belt upwards, however in recent times our instructor has changed the requirements in that you don't have to break, but you will have to do leg placing instead.
    I started with side piercing kick, then turning kick (45deg with ball of the foot) and then it was hand technique. I asked my instructor prior to one of my gradings if I was required to do reverse turning kick, he replied no but then went on to ask me to do it at the grading the following week!
    In my last grading (for red belt) I was asked for 2 feet techniques (I went for Side piercing and turning which I love) and after doing 1 hand technique was asked for a second, which I was totally unprepared for, but managed to pull of 2 successful breaks with a reverse knifehand, so was well chuffed!

15. scottv

scottv New Member

I had to break a pine board to get to Yellow belt from White belt LOL. :p Break with a front kick.

I thought it was gonna be hard because I've never done it...before the test I tried to kick a wooden board I found at home and it didn't budge...I just hurt my foot....almost skipped the test...Turns out, Pine boards are really weak! :D

16. WalkingThePath

WalkingThePath www.gplus.to/jayboyle

At our club we don't do any destruction until the grading for green belt (6th gup).
    The requirements are as follows:
    6th(Green) - Side Kick, 1 or two inches, both legs.
    5th(Blue Tag) - Turning Kick, as above
    4th(Blue) - Reverse Side Kick/Back Piercing kick, as above
    3rd(Red Tag) - Jumping Reverse Side/Back Kick, as above
    2nd(Red) - Reverse Turning kick, as above
    1st(Black Tag) - Air breaks any hand technique of the examiners choice, though its usually forefist punch or ridgehand, 1 inch, and jumping reverse turning kick above head height, 1 inch.
    Black Belt - Can be anything, and often usually is. Requirements are inwards knifehand to brick, or 7 inches of wood, jumping high kick to 1 inch, and an air break of your choice to 1 inch.

These are just the requirements and, especially at the higher grades, we are encouraged to be ready for anything eg at my 1st gup grading I only had to do the requirements, but at my 3rd gup grading I was asked to do a flying side kick over two crouching 'volunteers'. It all depends on the examiner, the equipment available, and the time available.
    Before people criticise the 'unfair' nature of 'random' techniques - in our club breaking is NEVER a required element to pass, it's all about how you approach the boards and the technique you use. I know one guy who made it all the way to red tag without breaking once, then something just clicked for him and all of a sudden he's doing 2/3 inches at demos! It's about attitude, and how you deal with the unexpected. Also, its a good chance to get the breaking technique tweaked by our senior instructors, as they always offer advice and feedback on the technique!

17. X-caliber

X-caliber New Member

i did for my yellow belt test. i had to do a downward hammer fist strike
    im not really sure. in my dojang we have to break for every belt test.
    ????what do you mean in numba 3
    i broke 2 on top of each other for my yellow belt test
    i used downward hammer fist strike.

18. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

what happens if you don't break the boards? do you still pass?

and are the boards the same for lower and higher belts, or are they maybe thinner for lower belts?

19. AllieB

AllieB Valued Member

Breaking!

There are many ways to break things with a hand or arm. Which technique deliveres the most force:
    :bang: :confused: :bang: :confused: :bang: :confused: :bang:

Sudo
    Hammer fist
    Palm strick
    Fist
    Elbow strike
    or
    Other

My strongest is the palm strike or the hammer

Also what do you think is the best way with a kick or any other way to break :bang:

20. Mitch

I think different people all have their favourites. As a general rule elbow is an easier break than some. Many people begin with that as a result.

Step-through side kick is a very common kick break (stand with kicking leg forward, step back leg to front and side kick with lead leg) as it's easy to get a good amount of your body weight into it.

Personally I like breaking with reverse turning kick. This may be because my legs weigh more than most people's entire bodies so even if I do the kick in Matrix slow motion I'll break a couple of boards :eek:

Mitch