Can someone explain to me the diffrence in the different styles of karate?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Hybrid_Killer, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Hybrid_Killer

Hybrid_Killer New Member

well i have a kyokushin and shotokan school nearby...what are the differences??

thanks.

(oh and add info about goju-ryu etc if u can):D

2. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

I can give you some info about Shotokan.

It was originally brought to Japan by Funakoshi in the 1930's and is believed to be the first "Japanese" karate. It is believed to be a style derived from Funakoshi's earlier tutoring in the local forms of fighting (known as Te) in Okinawa. Its name was derived from Funakoshi's pen name Shoto.

The style is reknown for its strong long and low stances. My particular training dedicated a lot of time to these fundamental basics (Kihon). It also practices Kata (forms) and several stages of fighting (Kumite). It, as with other "traditional" styles of karate, focuses on the spiritual develpoment of the practitioner, although these things (from my experience) are generally left to the individual to investigate.

For more detailed info I would recommend: www.24fightingchickens.com

All I know about Kyukushin (and I stand to be corrected) is its focus on practical and full contact fighting.

All I know about Goju Ryu (and I stand to be corrected) is it also from Okinawa and focuses on body strength.

Budo.

3. Yoshukai

Yoshukai New Member

Kyokushin does a lot of Kihon and kata's also. But it also depends on the teacher... you might find a bad kyokushin dojo, you might not. Same with everything else.

4. Yoshukai

Yoshukai New Member

Oh yeah, techniques learned in Kyokushin (and other full contacts) tend to be more focused on speed, power and ability to hurt. That doesn't mean the techniques look bad.. for from it. From my experience (1 year in shotokan, and sparring etc), light contact karate's have technique that goes for looks and speed.

example: Shotokan high kick. Peson has their body leaning back when being done. Good for speed, but power is dimished.

Full contact: Body is more upright and hips are swung more violently. Good power and speed.

These have been my observations... its nothing concrete.

5. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

The difference between the two can be seen to what they emphasize during training. Shotokan prefers lots of kata practice, while Kyokushinkai prefers lots of sparring practice. Expect more breaking rom the latter.

Of course there are always exeptions to this rule.

6. Picksey

Picksey New Member

I don't know anything about kyokushin I'm afraid, but I can tell you a little about wado-ryu if you're interested.

Wado-ryu is a light, quick style that encourages covering up and evasion (rather than using brute force to block attacks) and fluid counter combinations (rather than putting all your eggs in one strong counter attack ;) ).

But, as others have suggested already, the way clubs train varies. I've trained with two wado-ryu clubs, and their methods are quite different (though admitedly the end product isn't so different).

7. kerling

kerling Hidden haito style

Hey .Well you are not supposed to lean back. you should project your hip forward and you head should stay almost still in place.

For front kicking you should place your teachers head inline with something. Make him do a kick and you should se his body projection beeing forward (shooting the hip forward) but his head stay in the same place. This is common mis perception of a student and a by stander that a one leans back while kicking.

Similarity is side kick and round kicks.

But the again I see alot of bad kicks and bad body projection.

Regards Kerling
    ps. I practice shotokan but I train with Goju Ryu folks as well and they strive todo the kicks in similar way.

8. Yoshukai

Yoshukai New Member

Well thats what I see from people who cross train point style to full contact. It's natural to lean your body back anyways. Not saying its good.

9. kerling

kerling Hidden haito style

this vs that

In very short the few I know:
    Shotokan is hard style with long stances. Based on the ideal that single strike/attack should be sufficient to finish off an apponent. Most attacks are inline for it takes the shortest time to travel between 2 points is in a straight line.

Goju Ryu is a hard and soft style and "should" be the best of both worlds. With both hard and soft techniques it fun to watch. Bit shorter stances and more of locking action. Many techniques are close to the body.

Erhm .. I need to get back to work.. someone continue this is

Regards Kerling