Can I start karate at 39 and get good at it?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by miyagi, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Osu,

Sounds great, but I believe that at some moment, your physical abilities come into play in MA... ;)

Osu!

2. Kodama

Kodama Valued Member

Absolutly.:)

In a real fight it is not your physcial body that is of greatest importance but it's your will and mental attitude. It determs if you survive or die. Of course a body in good shape gives you an edge but more important is your mental will.

I have seen older people smack around youngsters like nothing outhere. These old folks are not in same physical condition but rahter their mental attitude is like a great lion.:hat:

Osu

First your mind (i want to start training) then your spirit (will to study hard) last your body what can i do with my body...

3. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

My physical ability, or lack of as I age, plays on the mental. And if you dont believe that, turn 60

4. Kodama

Kodama Valued Member

I feel sorry for you...

5. 47MartialMan

Put in 20+ more years and you will feel like I do :evil:

6. Kodama

Kodama Valued Member

I really hope not!:evil:

7. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

Personally, (at 47) i'm in the best shape iv'e ever been in. Fitter, stronger and more flexible and i ain't finished yet.

8. 47MartialMan

It all depends upon disease, past injuries, etc. that take their toll later on. :cool:

9. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

Nothing gets past you eh? :rolleyes:

10. 47MartialMan

I am saying, I know many martial artists past 50, and although i can state, that they in more shape or fit than their peers whom are non-martial artists, it is only age, but wear and tear. The body changes and takes far more time to heal, and in some cases, cannot fully.

11. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

I dont know if op "Mr." Miyagi is even reading this thread anymore..

But as to your original question.. "Can I start karate at 39 and get good at it?"

If you dont start it ill be upset lol, one of the best part about being older in martial arts is beating the youngfellas..lol just my point of view.

12. 47MartialMan

Depends on how young they are in comparison to how old you are

13. SpikeD

Too many, comma's in a, sentence make, it very difficult to, follow. :bang:

Luckily though we don't all look forward to being incapacitated by our failing bodies but are striving to endure our old age with (a little) health and strength. :cool:

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  14. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I hope the greengrocers' apostrophe was for comic effect, otherwise you kinda lost the grammatical high ground there... :evil:

15. SpikeD

I'm soooo glad someone noticed (although i am guilty of that on occasion :bang:) I was tempted to throw a few misplaced capitals and a load of exclamations at the end !!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

16. 47MartialMan

It was my Captain Kirk impersonation.

If, you, don't, like it, go and, get Bones

17. Mike O'Leary

Mike O'Leary Valued Member

Miyagi:

I am going to be 60 this year, My sensei is 74, I have a good friend who is 73 and training... Were all training...

Do we modify because of age, old injuries etc... you bet we do.

Karate is about more than fighting... it is about practice... and if you practice you will feel younger, move easier and given time yes you can become effective.

My students laugh.. I normally spar forom a left foot forward stance.. but I have arthritis in one hip and to kick high I have to switch to the right leg forward.. so I'm predictable.. when I switch they laugh and back up... Dont worry, its all in fun and there respectful... its just a fact. Because to be safe in class we kick above the belt... I tend to do few kicks now in sparring... in combat.. my kicks are aimed at the shins, knees and thigh's.... If you cant walk you cant fight...hahah

That is an adaption based on a physical limitation... and we all do it.

Coming in to karate late you have to watch the beginning and dont hurt yourself. Practice twice a week minimum.. in or out of class... do heavy stretching one day... light the next.. take a day off.... repeat it...

Caution: NO pain no gain.. is a lie.. it should burn.. not hurt...

Dont worry about what others say... just do it.

Mike O'Leary

18. Mike O'Leary

Miyagi:

I am going to be 60 this year, My sensei is 74, I have a good friend who is 73 and training... Were all training...

Karate is about more than fighting... it is about practice... and if you practice you will feel younger, move easier and given time yes you can become effective.

My students laugh.. I normally spar forom a left foot forward stance.. but I have arthritis in one hip and to kick high I have to switch to the right leg forward.. so I'm predictable.. when I switch they laugh and back up... Dont worry, its all in fun and there respectful... its just a fact. Because to be safe in class we kick above the belt... I tend to do few kicks now in sparring... in combat.. my kicks are aimed at the shins, knees and thigh's.... If you cant walk you cant fight...hahah

Coming in to karate late you have to watch the beginning and dont hurt yourself. Practice twice a week minimum.. in or out of class... do heavy stretching one day... light the next.. take a day off.... repeat it...

Mike O'Leary

19. Mike O'Leary

Miyagi:

Mike O'Leary

20. Mike O'Leary

sorry for the duplication.. computer glich....

mike