Can I learn krav maga and systema?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by SilatSean, Mar 4, 2015.

1. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

The stuff taught in Krav Maga most schools is not the stuff taught to the IDF. If you take on Krav Maga expecting to learn deadly, lethal techniques, you'll be sorely disappointed or even worse, dangerously misled. It will be your average blend of Muay Thai/Boxing, standup locks with a dash of grappling.

2. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Combat Sambo isn't exactly a self defense art, it's a competitive format of Sambo that allows for striking, but as an alternative to Krav Maga, it's not exactly comparable, But my understanding of it is that it is generally the preferred method of fighting among the Russian military, but is mostly practiced as a sport, where as Systema has a much more muddled background that is much harder to verify, with much less competition involved.

The main drawback is that it is really rare to find in the west, i lucked out completely when i stumbled upon my instructor, and have been unable to continue my training since he moved back to Georgia.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A82TU1aROW8"]Fedor vs Kriger - 2012 Combat Sambo RUS Championships - YouTube[/ame]
    Here is another vid just to show you what it is generally like, and yes, it is that Fedor.

3. SilatSean

SilatSean New Member

Ok guys sorry its been so long been really busy lately but I have been thinking about what you guys said and I have completely eliminated krav maga and systema instead im going to do combat sambo as my first martial art for my second I was either thinking jeet kune do or savate and I have found all three different martial arts academies in northern california I can go to but either savate or jeet kune do which one should I do?

4. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

What are the individual gyms like? Have you tried out a lesson with each of them?

5. SilatSean

SilatSean New Member

Well I havent tried them out yet I just discovred the martial arts but im about to try out the combat sambo gym I know its part of the combat sambo usa federation there are multiple jeet kune do gyms to try out and The savate gym is called brazilian academy of martial arts they specialize in brazilian bjj,muay thai, and savate kick boxing and ill try to find more info on some of the jeet kune do gyms.

6. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Best advice I can give is just go to a free lesson at each. Watch how they train, decide if it's how you want to train. Watch how their advanced students move, see if that's how you want to move. Free lessons are awesome. I kind of think I might take a few free lessons of some martial arts just based on this post and not out of any intention to change gyms :]

7. SilatSean

SilatSean New Member

Yes I will do a free lesson of each but I found an awesome looking jeet kune do academy in redwood city called norcal jkd and kali academy the head instructor is Brenda King she has over 30 years of training experience and trained under guro Dan Inosanto they teach jeet kune do, eskrima kali blend, and combat submission wrestling and all the review on google and yelp are five stars it seems like a legit place to me.

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Sounds like a good school. You still need to try it out though :p

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I know Brenda, she is a good girl. My boy Hector Solis drops in there from time time too

10. Indie12

Indie12 Valued Member

Yes, you can do both! Have you spoken with the Instructor(s)?

11. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

And sometime the worst weapon defense advice you can think of.

http://youtu.be/P9bFUScgnwM

12. BenHill

BenHill Valued Member

The problem with starting out in martial arts is you think you know what is good but you don't and waste a lot of time in the beginning going to crappy schools doing useless things.

I'm pretty sure if most people knew what combat boiled down to fewer people would want to do it. There's no secret techniques just hard work and pain.

Some martial arts are just...bad. They were never tested against others and they don't work so good in sparring. They were ok in their day then better things came along...

But some people just like to study or whatever, that's perfectly fine but I would forget about using either of these on trained opponents.

I would feel pretty bad spending 5 years on something that was likely to get me beat by a guy with 6 months in MMA.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  13. SilatSean

SilatSean New Member

Hey guys sorry I havent posted in so long ive been really busy so I have been looking for a jeet kune do school so far I found universal jeet kune do in modesto ca, Academy of jeet kune do sciences in petaluma ca, original jeet kune do schools in hayward ca and oakland ca, and I also am planning to do kajukenbo so I found bonos kajukenbo in san jose, I was also wondering if the spear system by tony blauer works or if its like krav maga same with the r.a.t system used by the navy seals does that worrk also or is it like krav maga and systema?

14. SilatSean

SilatSean New Member

Oh also I found dr z jeet kune do is that a good academy also.

15. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

I'm a student (well was, until I went to college) at Pallen's Martial Arts in San Leandro. You seem to be doing a wide search of different styles in the Bay Area. We teach Kajukenbo so I might as well have put a shameless plug. There is a couple other Kajukenbo schools in San Leandro too like Estellers (-.- a sort of "rival" school)

16. Chaos01

Chaos01 New Member

The original question was whether taking two different types of defense training would be confusing. In case, anyone stumbles on this thread I'll give my experience. Its not an exact match but perhaps helpful.

I take both Krav Maga and Kempo style karate. The karate school is a bit McDojo as it is a franchise but the instructor is really good at least. Its around the corner and is mostly for fun and for my son. You get from it what you put in. The Krav has a great instructor and expert in Wing Chun and Karate s well. Its a worthwhile school. They know their stuff.

I find the two very compatible. The karate refines and greatly enhances the skills used for what I am doing in Krav. Krav makes me tougher in karate and makes it, somehow, less theoretical. I know what parts are more showy and what is more useful. The sparring is the one area where I need to be a bit more careful. Karate point sparring has rules and lots of stop and go. Krav is fighting dirty and continuous combat motion using pressure tests. I need to be more careful in karate not to go overboard. In the Krav scenarios, that's not an issue.

If I got in a self defense situation, I would probably use 70% Krav 10% karate and 20% wrestling (from high school days. Its instinctual ever since) Hopefully, the training would pay off.

17. Kebro

Kebro New Member

Excuse me if I am double posting. I practiced krav msga for 4 years and I did some workshops in systema as well. In my opinion krav maga is an ideal basic system which can be enriched by other styles and techniques, be it previously mastered styles or new influences.
    Our krav maga system worked this way. Everyone was encouraged to create his or her own functional style.

In the past I did some systema seminars and last year I attended a systema workshop by Sonny Puzikas. I really favour some systema techniques which have become standard moves in my fighting repertoire. I take things from different styles which naturally fit my style and in this respect krav maga and systema merge naturally.

18. WelshMikey

WelshMikey New Member

That has not been my experience. The kicks are different to both mhuay thai and kickboxing (depending on which type you learn) and the focus is more on eye gauging, groin strikes, palm strikes, awareness, and aggression. There was some ground fighting but since I haven't done much ground fighting in other styles I cant compare.

Best thing Krav Maga taught me was there is no such thing as defence from a knife unless you are also armed, atleast that is my experience from training. I am yet to see somebody not get stabbed or potentially badly cut when an attacker (simulated with a rubber knife) goes crazy on them. Kick and run or just run "may" work

19. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

What specifically did you favour? When you say fighting repertoire what exactly do you mean (how are you testing the moves)?

20. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Especially two rabbits with malnutrition

1.) Ask yourself what do you really want? Something different to study or self defense?

2.) Do not fall into the marketing snare, research, after you research, research some more (MAP is a good way to assist)
    Be weary of words used such as "Best"", Ultimate", "Street", "Military", to name a few

3.) Always try free, no contract lessons. Although I am slightly at odds from one lesson, as some in marketing, will make that lesson specialized to impress

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015