Can I learn krav maga and systema?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by SilatSean, Mar 4, 2015.

1. SilatSean

SilatSean New Member

So after doing some research I found a good krav maga and good systema academy that I could go to it is quite a drive for both of them but thats not the point I would like to join both by going to one on 3 days of the week and the other 3 days of the week but I would just like to know if I can learn both and can successfully use both of them in a self defense situation or learn both without having trouble or get confused learning both.That is my main concern because I would really like to learn both but if I cant I will just choose one to learn.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

If those are your only two choices then yes you can do both.

3. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

It's more a matter of should he do either imo. :]

4. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

What is it about those styles that makes you want to learn them? I ask because if they are a long distance away it may be possible to get good training closer to home by learning a different style. You may think your willing to travel but a long round trip 6 times a week may well get tedious quite quickly despite how motivated you might feel to start with.

5. SilatSean

SilatSean New Member

I used to train tae kwon do and brazilian jiu jitsu but the places I want to train are for krav maga combat sports academy or kravzone and systema integrative martial arts in monteray but ive got plenty of time on my hand and im not looking to go to some krav maga xtreme or institute im looking for the real deal and the ones ive listed are pretty good like the kravzone guys have trained the israeli special forces before and the combat sports academy guy is pretty good as well but I just really like the 2 styles ive listed thats all and would like to learn them.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  6. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Don't sign any long term contracts.. Try both. If you find you are getting the two confused and it is affecting your ability to learn either one efficiently, drop one.

Only you, and your instructors, will know if you are able to study both at the same time efficiently.

7. SilatSean

SilatSean New Member

Ok thanks aaradia I will try both or a free trial to see if I can keep up and use both martial arts I hope its possible.

8. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

I would advise you not to get hung on stuff like training special forces or military connections in general, It doesn't work like that. Military units will invite lots of people to come and teach their stuff and the bits they want will be extracted and formed to make up the hand to hand syllabus required.

Because of the nature of military combat very little time is dedicated to hand to hand combat compared to shooting skills, comms, admin and field craft as they make up the majority of soldiering. Hand to hand skills are not a huge part of military combat so are not a huge part of military training. Sure some units warrant more training than others but even so it tends to be a fairly low standard designed to improve confidence and aggression more than the ability to kill bare handed.

Im not trying to talk you out of training in those styles only trying to give you an insight into what that marketting means in reality. They may we'll be great clubs and give you great training but the military connection doesn't mean nearly as much as civvies often like to think it does.

9. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Who are you and what have you done with Hannibal?

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

So I'm curious about your username now, given that you don't seem to have trained in silat OR be interested in starting.

11. Hannibal

I am working on " subtle inferences" as a way of saying something without speaking it :)

12. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

Hmmm from what I have seen of both of these styles in the majority, in my opinion, you would be better of wrestling, boxing or kickboxing. Something with good pressure testing. I say this because both are Self defence based systems, not to be practiced for the art in and of itself really. and training with a bit of resisting force seems best for this.

Just my two cents though. These could be awsome schools that actually train their student with resistance. I have never really seen one like that though.

13. SilatSean

SilatSean New Member

My name is SilatSean for two reasons 1 I couldnt come up with anything at the time like systemasean but reason two is I really like barigin sakti,silat seni gayong, and silat suffian bela diri styles of silat but the main reason is I couldnt come up with anything at the time. But on a scale of 1 to 10 how hard would it be do you guys think to learn both styles efficiently?

14. Hannibal

Are they REALLY the only two options?

15. philosoraptor

Those two? Efficiently? 10.

Learning two styles isn't difficult though.

16. SilatSean

SilatSean New Member

I used to do tae kwon do, brazilian jiu jitsu,and judo but I really like these two alot and they are effective also im glad they would be easy to use but just curious if I had to defend myself could I use both styles to defend myself effectively?

17. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Since you are asking for honest responses.............

Not the magic Chi energy stuff that I understand is a part of one of those arts. No. that aspect is bogus and will get you hurt in a self defense situation.

Maybe other parts of that art, but not the no touch silliness.

18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Fair enough. Just curious.

My advice: Stop evaluating styles (which you're really doing mostly based on their marketing) and evaluate schools. If you like the krav school and dislike the systema school, there's a pretty obvious course of action. Personally, while I'm a big believer in crosstraining, I'm also a believer in that saying about chasing two rabbits and not catching either one.

19. SilatSean

SilatSean New Member

I evaluated both of the kravmaga schools they are both very good from their reviews but im going to have to go with the closest one to me which is combat sports academy to save time so that way it wont be repetitive going to a far away krav maga studio and a faraway systema place it will only be a far away systema place instead. The systema place is also very good and is an authorized systema school by some russian systema authoization site and lists them as a real systema school.But thanks again for the comments guys I will try both out and see how it works out feel free to comment or give more advice thanks again.

20. philosoraptor

[​IMG]