Can grappling be learned quickly 1 on 1

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Maryreade1234, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

Hey so iv noticed that my striking is improving so quickly doing one on one. In thailand I learned so quickly for kicks and in uk I learned quickly boxing (mon-fri 1/hr day).

Can grappling be learned in a quick way doing it one on one or is not worth it?

After lockdown I wanna get my grappling to the bare minimum for mma. Im a striker but want to know something grappling to allow me to get back up.

I could do once a week one on one. Is it wortg it or should grappling be learned in a class slowly?

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

In the beginning it's probably better to just attend as many classes as possible. Maybe with one private lesson at the end of the week to go over some issues you had in class.

I think that when it comes to competency, you can be really good at striking but you'd still be average at grappling (unless you trained 6+ horus per day and made it your life).

Dead_pool likes this.
  3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

It depends on what is the rate limiting step is in your effectiveness.

At the beginning you don't know anything, so any training is usefull, 1 on 1's will help, learn the techniques etc, but you won't have the experience of sparring different opponents, to develop your timing and problem solving skills yet.

Why you found group classes difficult for grappling, is because you had to spar a large group of people better then you.

Why you find 1 on 1s usefull Is that you get more attention, BUT it's far far easier to kid yourself how good you are.

Do both, noone ever got good via padwork alone!

4. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

So should I try and find a beginner specific class next time I try learn bjj/wrestling?

Dead_pool likes this.
  5. Dead_pool

Yes, but that's true of any art, unless your a genetic freak, beginners need beginner classes.

And you might well be a fantastic kickboxer, but if your only training in 1 to 1s, it's easy to convince yourself your better then you actually are.

You need to be regularly sparring against people better then you are to get good.

6. Pretty In Pink

If you were someone interested in getting into bjj I'd recommend it. As it is I know you're serious about fighting I'd honestly say as many lessons as you can do. Also, you would be astonished at how many of the people who've been there for years would be happy to help you out after the class. Ask some of the purple/brown belts etc for a bit of help and they will often stay an extra 40 minutes just to help. This has been my experience anyway.

Dunc likes this.
  7. Dead_pool

They've already trained at a Erik Paulson nogi / BJJ place, and decided were getting injured too much.

Iirc

8. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

I mean like do I learn nothing as a begginer just going into a mixed class were most people are bluebelt or higher? Cos thats what I did back at crossface.

9. Dead_pool

No you'll learn plenty, but potentially not but the most essential things first, but you'll probably get smashed a lot, then try to force your way out of things and get hurt.

10. Pretty In Pink

Yeah, if you're just rolling with blue belts a lot of BJJ is pure survival. Pretty much try not to get tapped and if you're in a bad spot, tap immediately. Priority should simply be trying to regain your guard.#

I'd also recommend BJJ tutorials in conjunction with classes. A lot of videos are designed in a way to teach a series that links itself together.

Dead_pool and Maryreade1234 like this.
  11. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

I was training in an MMA environment and have issues of when getting grabbed on the floor just try and muscle way out so can get back up. Its bad and I get hurt. Thats why wondering if I could do it one on one, it’s expensive but could do it once a week and I would be less likely to do dumb stuff thats gonna get my hurt. Or would I be wasting my money and time.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2020
  12. Pretty In Pink

It's up to you to control your ego and just tap. You learn nothing by fighting too hard and hurting yourself.

Dead_pool and aaradia like this.
  13. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Mod Note: Maryreade1234, please remember profanity is not allowed on MAP. Thanks

14. Dead_pool

1) going to hard and getting hurt is your choice, have you have serious issues around this, perhaps training isn't a good fit for you until those issues are resolved.

2) did you have the same problems in the Gi classes? (As it's a bit more removed from an MMA environment.
    3) you could try a school which only does BJJ so it's it's even more removed from an MMA environment.

15. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

In my experience a combination of group classes and 121 sessions with a professor is the best way to go if you can afford the time and $

The benefits of 121 sessions are:
    - You can focus 100% on learning your particular game, so if you’re not interested or able to do certain techniques then you don’t spend time on them
    - You can roll 100% with almost no risk of injury
    - Your professor will get to know your strengths and weaknesses and will direct you accordingly

The benefits of group class are:
    - You’ll roll with a lot of different people who have different games, sizes, personalities etc which gives you a breadth of experience
    - It will give you exposure to techniques that may not fit your game, but by knowing them you’ll be able to see them coming
    - It will provide you with specific questions to ask your professor in 121 classes

You probably need to find the right balance between the two for your situation, but I have found a balance of around 50-50 is optimal for me

16. Dunc

Also worth noting that the BJJ instructors at the academy I train at, which is probably one of the most famous in the world, are giving virtual 121 sessions

If you have a training partner at home then these kind of things are a pretty amazing way to sharpen up your technique via access to world class instructors irrespective of where you’re located

And if you ever wanted to get started on grappling, but couldn’t get around to visiting an academy, then this crazy situation presents a good opportunity to try grappling out and develop some skills so when the lock down lifts you’ll be more confident when you can make it to your local academy

17. Dead_pool

I've always found it wierd calling a martial arts coach professor, I get that's what the Portuguese word for teacher is.
    And if your coach speaks Portuguese as a first language I get how it could be used.

But we already use the word professor for something else over here, a PHD who's working in a university teaching capacity. It's a legally protected title too.

I'm not gonna tell Roger that though!

18. Pretty In Pink

We still call karate teachers "Sensei", although I just prefer "instructor" anyway.

Dead_pool likes this.
  19. Dunc

Using the term professor is just a habit because that's the word the Brazilians use instead of coach, instructor or teacher
    At Roger's place everyone calls the instructors by their name

Dead_pool likes this.
  20. Dead_pool

Sensei isn't a legally protected term which means something completely different though...