Can Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Judo or Japanese Jiu Jitsu be dangerous?

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Bubble99, Feb 25, 2015.

1. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

That's nothing. I broke my collar bone in half during a compliant turnover from turtle. You couldn't deliberately hurt someone performing that technique if you tried, and yet *snap*.

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Sounding gory but pick a sport and injuries crop up. Contrary to what you're thinking these injuries aren't common and follow hundreds if not thousands of hours training. Most people will get something that drives them mad as they can't train properly but the injuries are usually slight enough that training is the only thing they lose.
    Martial arts injuries only really effect martial arts training, breaks aren't really that common

3. holyheadjch

True. And you get used to those niggly things after a while. I've had a broken toe for almost 12 months now - barely even think about it anymore.

4. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Ouch! They're painful at first though. Broke mine on a wet kitchen floor. Ended up head first in a bin with a sore foot!

5. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I broke the arm four weeks ago and wasn't allowed to train for three weeks.
    Started again last week, very slight, moderate training, only using one arm obviously (the harmed arm gets way more stressed during my physio therapy then it does doing training) - and I went nuts already.
    The training I missed and still am missing is worse then the physical pain.

Indeed.
    As far as I know, my teacher had broken of his bones in about 40 years of martial arts, and that was his collar bone after he got thrown.
    (Funny enough from the boyfriend of the person who broke my arm :D )
    That'd be the Japanese JJ class.

When I went to my HKD class to tell them, that I won't come for a few months, the trainer told me, that there was no injury nearly as bad as my arm during their training in roughly 45 years.
    The worst there was a broken toe.

So severe injuries aren't bread and butter really.

@holyheadjch: Well, at least the technique that broke my arm was designed to break bones. So I was more lucky then you were. Yay ;)

6. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

honestly, i've never felt safer in my martial arts journey than since i've started doing combat sports: bjj, judo, no-gi sub. wrestling. when i was in the compliant world (aikido, hapkido) i had seen many bad injuries and i always felt that it would happen to me too. there's always a point that you have to go compliant (in my experience) in both aikido and hapkido, and you're putting your own health in someone else's hands. now, i defend myself at all times, even when i'm not sparring.

7. Bubble99

Bubble99 Valued Member

I would think aikido and hapkido would be worse Martial arts out there.

These throws got to be very dangerous.

At 0:18 that got to hurt.
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBiRWqm6DKI"]Hapkido Extremo - YouTube[/ame]

8. holyheadjch

Nah, nothing there is particularly gnarly.

The nasty throws are not normally the big ones. It's the short sharp drops that ring your bell.

Like this one (at 3:10): [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EupNb40O7gw&feature=youtu.be&t=3m10s[/ame]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  9. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Where he falls on his back?
    Nah, it's uncomfortable in the beginning, but that's it.
    That's why you learn how to fall properly over and over again in every single session (at least we do, but I really doubt, we're the only ones).

10. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Back to my problem with this whole thing. Guy has a neck collar on. Supposedly won't be able to walk.

The spinal cord isn't like a bone. To not walk would likely mean enough damage that you couldn't do a lot more e g use your arms. Nothing has been mentioned of this guy being quadriplegic.

See the problem, the injury doesn't match the tissues that have supposedly been damaged.

Weird case, still smells odd.

LFD

11. Bubble99

Bubble99 Valued Member

Thing is I seen lot more takes down and no problem.

I think it was not the take down but the extensive use of force on the take down a very hard take down.

Look at holyheadjch video at at 3:10 he takes her down soft and is on a mad not out side.

He may have osteoporosis of the bones.

Some people fell off bike and do not get hurt and yet some other people fell of bike and get hurt.

The human body is very strange.

12. holyheadjch

I'm not sure what your point is.

It's all just physics.

13. Bubble99

Bubble99 Valued Member

What I'm trying sorta of get at do people here think it was extensive use of force on the take down or think it may be osteoporosis of the bones.

14. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

To be honest, I'm not quite sure I get your point.
    But chances are, if you use force and throw a person, who has no clue on how to fall properly, on concrete or something similar, this person will get hurt.
    It's not a given, that he will get hurt, sure, but chances are he will.
    Chances get even bigger (in my experience and those of people I talked to about it) to get hurt, if the person who throws is either a beginner/ not used to throwing someone or wants to throw you as hard (or maybe bad, if he's an not nice person) as possible.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2015
  15. holyheadjch

It's impossible to tell. Concrete has no give in it. The spine is depressingly easy to damage. It doesn't really matter. Throws and take downs can be dangerous and you can get badly hurt from fairly innocuous looking falls.

16. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

watch the language latikos

17. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Will do, sorry.

18. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

OK, I've finally had a chance to hear the video as before all I could do was see it.

I think that the OP's title/initial comments left me a bit confused. Unless the OP knows more there is no mention that the injured man will never walk again. We can all agree that it was a brutal attack by the officer but what we saw in the video doesn't really allow someone to predict the long term effects or even the extent of the injury. Really threw me not hearing what the reporter had said.

Given that no particular lesion/final injury has being mentioned I can agree that it seems pretty reasonable that this guy has a claim considering surgery was performed to relieve pressure on the cord (and prevent any potential damage from the swelling/inflammation associated with the original injury). That's not unusual at all. As I said before, when there has been a definitive bone lesion you will normally see orthopaedic apparatus to protect the cord while the bones are healing.

It makes more sense now that it's clear no claim of paralysis etc has been made.. really wasn't clear what was actually being claimed in the video as opposed to what was being said on here. Apologies for my getting confused.

LFD.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  19. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Don't believe the hype, brazilian jiu jitsu and judo are not dangerous they are about cuddling. The joint locks are illusory. They are harmless and peaceful martial arts for people who like to hug other people.

20. holyheadjch

Kano was just straight up trolling when he called it the gentle way.