Can Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Judo or Japanese Jiu Jitsu be dangerous?

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Bubble99, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Bubble99

Bubble99 Valued Member

Can some of these throws or take downs be very dangerous?

I know guy that fell of bike and hurt himself.

A cop here does a Ju Jitsu take down and now the guy cannot walk!!!! Not sure if it was take down or the guy had osteoporosis of the bones.

Police officers threw guy to ground and he can never walk again.
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePY62BagJjE"]Indian man sues Alabama police after alleged assault - YouTube[/ame]

Some one who has thin bones should not take Brazilian Jiu Jitsu ,Judo or Ju Jitsu ?It can break bones?

My friend had an accident at work doing roofing and fell yes one story through the roof but he broke no bones strange.

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Everything you do can be dangerous. They're martial arts that require contact. I've always had the idea that there's hurt and there's Hurt. You show Hurt in your clip, it's not common.
    Do you have a medical condition or just slight?

3. blindside

blindside Valued Member

Imagine that, a martial art might be dangerous.

Yes, hitting someone with a planet might be considered dangerous, if you have a propensity for getting your bones broken, you might want to take up a lower impact sport.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Like any martial arts, you can get injured yes. Train smart and tap early and you should be fine.

5. Bubble99

Bubble99 Valued Member

I'm not sure how how healthy my bones are at all. All I can do is eat healthy, exercise and lift weights for strong bones. And see doctor.

I'm very puzzled what happen to this guy in that video did he have osteoporosis or was it bad Ju Jitsu take down.

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

What you have to consider is "how common are injuries like these?" And fhe answer would be "Astronomically low". If you go about with fear like that then you'll never get started.

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It was a GOOD takedown in the purely physical sense - head hits floor, then floor always wins. Impact injuries are pretty severe, especially if you cannot fall

Happily it is one of the first skills you will learn

8. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

That looks like excessive use of force...

9. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Well, I broke my ulna twice while practicing a technique (I don't know the English term and neither does my dictionary. So, in case there isn't a term as simple as "twisting lock" I won't bother describing it ^^); there was no resistance, no time to tap out (it literally happened within a second).
    What there was a lot of bad luck; no ones fault.

And given that those techniques are designed to break bones, I think it's rather obvious that such things can happen.

BUT it usually doesn't as long as both partners train sensible, tap in time and don't try to look overly cool (one dude in my class essentially choked himself out, because he wanted to prove, that he can free himself from the hold he was in).

Same with throws: Throw someone who has no idea how to fall and chances are he will be hurt; especially when done on concrete or something.

And I totally agree with Moi on this: There is pain and there is hurt (might not work so well in English, sorry :eek: ) - one is temporary while you're in a lock for example and goes away as you tap and the lock is released; the other stays with you a while longer.
    The one is a common part of the game, the other shouldn't be.

It's a contact sport after all, accidents can happen.
    But if you focus on them all the time or even before starting, it will do no good to anybody.

10. Hannibal

Damn straight it does - inexcusable

11. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Interesting... I agree that the sweep looked horrible with the guy doing a very bad face plant.

One thing that confuses me. Whern I worked in the spinal cord injury unit the first thing they did was apply tongs or a halo (drilled into the head) in order to allow the fracture site too heal without any chance that anything further could go wrong. Picture your head being suspended from four posts that are part of a jacket that you wear pretty well 24/7 for the first couple of months. This video is only a couple of weeks old and the man isn't wearing anything to suggest that he had a fracture. I also thought it interesting that the video. which appears to be from the second police car, is posted 6 days after the event. Pretty quick to make a diagnosis that the guy will never walk again. Cord swelling and inflammation after a fracture often settle giving some improvement.

It is also pretty amazing that there isn't anything to show on the guys face if he indeed did a face plant onto something hard enough to break his neck... just can't see much on the skin e.g. abbrasiions/bruising etc

I think that there was excessive force but something appears to not be quite right with the way this is being presented for what supposedly happened medically.

LFD

12. Hannibal

The technique was great...the rationale for doing it less so at face value

13. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Making the most of a difficult situation isn't always right :)

14. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Any sport or physical activity can be dangerous. Even mundane things can be. I know a guy whose legs were shattered in a car accident last year. (Statistically, you're many times more likely to be killed/seriously injured by a motor vehicle than practicing a martial art) You have to weight the risk/benefit for yourself to see if it's worth your time.

15. Bubble99

Bubble99 Valued Member

That's what make no senses:eek::eek: I seen lots of other take downs and no injury but this one he got injured.

Like was it the take down,excessive force on the take down or osteoporosis.

16. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Or bad luck.

People get in pub fights every night of every day of the year and now and again someone takes a shot that dumps their head on something and they die.

17. Hannibal

Same with punches, crossing the road or eating peanuts

18. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

So what?
    The technique that broke my arm - I did it several times - often actually - on other people during practice, without hurting someone, let alone break someones bones.
    I had it done to me often as well, by different people, without my bones breaking and without more then a little "ouch, tap out".
    I even had it done to me from the same partner, that eventually broke the bone - without anything happening at all, aside from having fun training.
    Then, the last time, it happened - *knack* and the bone was through twice.

According to your logic that doesn't make any sense. But seeing how that was one of the most severe injuries I encountered (okay, I admit it, in only about one and a half years so far) during practice, it seems to be more the rule then the exception - because usually people "forget" that injuries like that can happen, because it rarely happens.

As my teacher said: "I'm always "glad" if something like that happens, because it shows people that I don't say "be careful when applying the locks, they can be dangerous", because I'm bored."

19. Dead_pool

Dead_pool the merc with the mouth MAP 2017 Moi Award

Throwing someone untrained onto concrete whilst cuffed and not expecting it will always be more dangerous then throwing someone trained onto mats who isnt cuffed and is expecting it.

Resisting the police is dangerous, training sensibly isnt.

20. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

for a lot of people that train, their bodies are more used to the force of impact and you'll notice that people know how to keep their heads from making contact. judo is a very rough sport, and people get thrown all the time. and mats really don't soften the blow. so i think it comes down to someone that doesn't know how to fall, or not used to falling, and taking a very, very hard throw.