Can body weight exercises get you fit and toned?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Flaming36, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Flaming36

Flaming36 New Member

Hello friends....!
    Can body weight exercises get you fit and toned...? If anyone knows then please reply me....Your suggestions will be appreciated.....Thanks in advance...!

2. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Yes, there's plenty of very in shape gymnastic guys. It just takes a lot more time and work than the weighted approach.

3. slickoneuk

slickoneuk Member Supporter

Most certainly! gota train hard and eat properly.

4. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

Do gymnasts not use weights at all?

5. Gary

Some do, some don't. It's like asking if sprinters ever do long distance cardio.

6. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

Thats surprising. I would have thought the explosive power required for leaps, flips, hand springs even the sprinting up to the vaulting horse would necessitate weights to perform at an elite level.

7. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

One thing to remember about these moves is that the floor they work on is springy and they use springboards for the vaults, so the explosiveness needed is not as great as you might assume.

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

9. Gary

It would, but gymnastics is about technique and the CNS impact of heavy lifts can severely limit the effectiveness of the rest of their training. Strength/explosiveness doesn't help if you haven't put the work in for technique.

10. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Yes, good example Marine Corps boot camp.

11. Rhizome

Rhizome Super Valued Member

The toned look relies heavily on having a low body fat percentage, some muscle mass does help.

I prefer body weight exercises for conditioning but altering the leverage such as one arm push-ups, squats etc can give a good strength and muscle building working. The latter relies on a solid diet and taking in excess calories.

12. pedodio

pedodio New Member

Frankly you should pay attention to a few things.

First your body knows only resistance, no matter where you get it from BW or Weights. You can do calisthenics and still be muscular like this man Hannibal. He is the king of calisthenics [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0yauyyv534"]_Hannibal For King_ New Video Just Released Strength_ Conditioning_ Abs.mp4 - YouTube[/ame] or as whatever you may say or call him

Second you should pay attention to the recovery and nutrition aspect of your training too. Beginners: 7 days a week, Intermediate: 5-6 Days and Advanced: 4days a week and 3 days active recovery.

Third pay attention to your Resistance Progression, which in short means increasing your resistance level and giving your body a REASON to grow.

On a last note: Do check the video out, get motivated and train like Hell on Calisthenics or BW for a year, and then beyond that start get HYBRID with your Training :)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0yauyyv534"]_Hannibal For King_ New Video Just Released Strength_ Conditioning_ Abs.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

13. BionicMan2K11

BionicMan2K11 Banned Banned

Hell ya! Bodyweight training is the old school of fitness training.

14. BionicMan2K11

BionicMan2K11 Banned Banned

It will get you in great shape in no time.

15. Stuart H

Stuart H On the Mandarin bandwagon

16. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

YES... :cool:

17. growandthrow

growandthrow New Member

Body weight will case less injury to joints the iron weight in my opinion. TRX and bosu take body weight trainning to the next level.

18. SuperSanity

SuperSanity The Hype

19. Body Sushi

Body Sushi Valued Member

20. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Sorry but this is patently false. Trauma to a joint is trauma to a joint. So if you injury your rotator cuff from failing on a handstand press up or on a weight overhead press with an Olympic bar.... the joint is damaged all the same. I've seen plenty of people over the years who have ended up injured from bodyweight routines when they push too far too fast.

Both forms of training require a keen attention to form and a good understanding off where you are starting at and where you are trying to go.

Meh. I use each of these tools daily. I have several TRX certs and have been using both items since they came on the market. Both are just tools. You can do lots with them... but you can also do lots with standard bodyweight drills and your environment.

Don't believe the hype.