Calzaghe vs. Manfredo this weekend!!!!

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by shaolinmonkmark, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Nick K

Nick K Sometimes a Valued Member

I was disappointed by both Calzaghe and Kahn fights. Kahn is ready for someone a lot tougher, although Supersonic, bless him, has a wise head on his shoulders and didn't get too badly hurt. Manfredo looked outclassed and underconfident. I didn't see him land one solid blow.

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

To be fair... not all Americans think he can't box. ;)

Man this drives me nuts with the American boxing establishment. It's such a bloody good old boys club that it's probably done more to harm boxing than it has to help it. :cry:

It'd be superb if Calzaghe and Hopkins went at it. That would be a stellar fight.
    Well worth looking for a bookmaker on. :D

3. slipthejab

The American boxing establisment sure would play it that way wouldn't they.
    Man that's aggravating. :bang:
    Hmm... that's highly debatable. :D
    But it sure would be nice for it to at least be given the chance to bear itself out in whatever result it may. :)

Agreed.

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

That said there are few British lightweight competitors around the level khan wants to be fighting at. I honestly believe Graham Earl would beat seven bells out of Khan at the moment, which is why Warren hasn't made that fight yet and Katsidis might actually kill him.

5. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

True, if you believe Joe had to prove more than he did, you are incorrect.
    The fight really could have continued but I don't think it would have helped either one, to show the enevitable.

I guess if you think getting in a lucky punch and winning might have happened or hoped it would have. Just last month a fighter was ruined and his career ended for bad management and horrible referring.

The thing is this man "Joe" is not your typical fighter who needs to prove it against a lesser fighter.

I think the key here is what Joe mentioned at the end of the fight, he hoped it would help himself and the other fighter to be able to take the next step up the ladder, one is following and the other is leading.

I think the respect was obvious. The fight was one that stopped before either were injured for nought.

One of the reason's his hands are vulnerable in my opinion is he uses them a lot more than others do, and in order to do that, you have to figure he hits and swing's and moves, much more in training than others do.

He is going to go down in the records of true champions and his 35000 fans already know it. Now because of TV the rest of the world is getting to see it.
    Pretty awesome in my opinion when HBO has gone to his location 2 time's now.

35,000 is only because they could not find a location to hold more. I believe it is truly a remarkable thing. Considering the size of the country. Many from Europe must have showed up too?

Now he will step it up and face others who have some great history. Jeff Lacy was supposed to be that guy, he was really mismatched.

I believe if you want to see a great fight the one with Winky Wright would be the one. I like both, so I'd just really like to see it.

Forget Mikkel, he is not going to do it.

Gary

6. slipthejab

Not sure I follow you here.
    I don't think Joe had much to prove. I think it was pretty obvious that he was a better fighter. I'd say that just by looking at fight records and opponents fought one could have sussed that out.

I agree... I don't think it would have made much difference if it had continued honestly. Barring some insane luck shot... and they do happen... Joe would have won it handily.

7. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Some of my post was for all and some just to agree.
    I'll be carefull to make my post's clearer.

Gary

8. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

I think this was just a start of some better fighting down the road.
    I am going to be watching these two, much more.

I was enlightened with Joe Calzaghe on prior occasion. Kahn or is it Khan? I have just now seen as a real talent.

If he is a Khan, (I believe he is) he comes from some real fighting stock.

HBO is walking a fine line at the present to produce good stuff I see. Showtime is trying to also.

It is going to be better for the viewer I am hoping. :)

Gary

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

It was an obvious mismatch staged purely as a revenue generating exercise and publicity stunt for the Contender franchise. Calzaghe wanted American exposure, they wanted to hype their product.

Joe had nothing to prove, thought about the money and went for it, but it added nothing to his record, still leaves him ready to fight in July with Hopkins and Taylor being mentioned. But he was lucky it was stopped in some ways; it surely wouldn't have looked good for him or the sport if he'd just gone on to pummel an unresisting opponent like that for yet more rounds. Seriously, how many punches did Manfredo throw? How long was he on the ropes for just before it was stopped with no response at all?

From Manfredo's side it simply exposed him as nowhere near ready to compete at that level.

A pretty unedifying spectacle all round, proving money will buy you any fight and the power of big business rules in boxing.

We always knew this of course, but nobody likes to have it pointed out in such glaring terms; like Chelsea winning the Premiership with an astronomically expensive Pot Premiership Team (just add hot Abramovich), this fight was just boxing sliding closer to the integrity-free circus of wrestling where 'backstory' determines who contests titles.

Mitch

As a side issue, how many bouts begin with national anthems? All of them? Am I being dense? I'm an armchair fan.

10. holyheadjch

Calzaghe needs these kind of fights though. He needs to draw attention to himself in America to get the big fights. This is what he has been complaining about for years, the Americans dont think he is worth bothering with. Lacy was meant to beat him to retirement, but didn't, a few Americans look up and say, 'oh, this guy can fight, but he's still not worth the money', so they send Manfredo to test the waters with the US audience. Only time will tell whether this gets him the necessary exposure to make the big fights that will guarantee his legend.

11. prowla

prowla Valued Member

Didn't Enzo Maccarinelli put in some solid shots in his fight though?
    Ouch!

12. holyheadjch

Enzo is a very good boxer too, Wales has produced a few in recent years.

13. puma

puma Valued Member

I was very disappointed in Calzaghe. His punches were sloppy. Manfredo looked exactly like I thought he would - scared stiff. I think Khan should be careful what he says also. He is good, but in my opinion certainly not great. I don't think he looked all that last night.

I thought Maccarinelli would get him out in the 1st. He didn't disappoint.

14. holyheadjch

Sloppy? How so?

As for Khan, I agree.

15. spirez

spirez Valued Member

Come on, this was so obviously a marketing ploy to get Calzaghe's name around in the US! I mean, who exactly is Manfredo and who has he fought?!

He's just a reality TV star that happens to be very popular in the US because of the Contender, so it's common sense that it will draw big crowds to see him fighting for a title.

16. slipthejab

yeah in many ways I'd have to agree. But if it means that he will get a fight in the US with the likes of Winky Wright or Mayweather or whoever or any of the others that are the same calibre and want to step up and put in on the line... then I'm down for it. I'm not nationalist to the extent that I'd favor a boxer because of his nationality. I think Calzaghe has a great story, a great personality and some fierce speed and skills. What's not to like?

I actually rather like the fact that he's happy training in Wales and in every interview with him I've seen he seems like a top bloke and very down to earth. Boxing needs more of that. Less Don King hype and more solid good old fashioned fighters.

17. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Completely outclassed, as I said. The big Hopkins or more likely Taylor fight will come for Calzaghe, and he will beat them as well. He is too good, the complete athlete. Calzaghe keeps himself in shape year round and this is why I don't think he will ever be beaten unless it's on cuts or anything else unfortunate. I've read a few interviews with him and he seems to me to be more determined than any boxer I've ever heard. Great to see so much talent coming from the UK.

18. cowzerp

cowzerp Valued Member

Calzaghe is very good but i also think he was very sloppy-when manfredo started to bend over to avoid been hit, calzaghe started slapping him like someone who'd never boxed before, i believe the ref should have broke it at this stage and warned calzaghe for slapping.

19. holyheadjch

I think you are being overly critical, and also understimating how hard it is to change the direction of a punch when your opponent suddenly moves like that.

20. slipthejab

Hmm... that's been something that's been tossed around by critics of Calzaghe for a long time. That he has a tendency to get slappy with his punches. At the moment for me it's neither here nor there... as I'd give up what I can do with my punches if I could slap with that kind of speed, accuracy and power. :D