calzaghe or pavlick to win?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by shaolinmonkmark, Jun 25, 2008.

1. shaolinmonkmark

shaolinmonkmark Valued Member

calzaghe or pavlick to win?
    I see calzaghe by late tko/decision.:woo:

2. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Well, it's not even definite that they're going to fight, and with Calzaghe having left warren to promote himself, it looks more and more likely that it won't go ahead. Of course Pavlik destroying Locket in three rounds make it a lot harder for Joe to state that he doesn't see Kelly as a challenge, so October 18th may well happen, and i hope it does!

However, it will not be an easy fight for either man, if it does happen. Palik has the advantage in age, height and reach, but Calzaghe has the advantage in experience. It would be an interesting fight, as both men are fighters, and so it won't be another Hopkins-Calzaghe.

As to whether Calzaghe could stop the younger, perhaps stronger, man, I don't know.

Em

3. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

Pavlick through atrition

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I'm a huge Calzaghe fan, but I'm disappointed he is not keen to fight Pavlick.

Given Calzaghe's age and his stated wish to one final showdown with ageing Roy Jones Jr., it is safe to say Joe is choosing the "easy" option (if there is such a word in boxing).

I come from the school of thought that a champion should fight the best there is to prove they are still a true champion, and in my eyes Pavlick would be a great test for Calzaghe. I would still respect Joe all the same win or lose because he has been a great champion for so long.

However, Calzaghe is the champion and he has the right, as champion, to choose to fight who he wants to. Roy Jones Jr. would be no walk over, but I think it would be the safer bet between the choice of him and Pavlick, and I no doubt suspect Calzaghe is thinking the same thing too.

Roy Jones Jr. has been on the slide for four or five years now. No disrespect to the guy, but at 39 years old many are calling for him to retire. He doesn't seem to have the "hunger" in him like he used to.

Pavlick, on the other hand, looks starving for a shot at Calzaghe. While he's fairly easy to hit, he punches hard, which is something Calzaghe will be looking to avoid at the close of his spectacular career. Also, as an added incentive for Pavlick, a win over Calzaghe could make him the first man since Henry Armstrong in the 1930s to be a world champion at three different weights simultaneously.

For Calzaghe, beating a future Hall of Famer in Jones Jr. would probably do more for Calzaghe's legacy than a win over the younger, hungrier Pavlick, as perverse as that may seem to some.

Either way, I'll be supporting Calzaghe 100% regardless of who he chooses to fight.

5. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Its the fight everyone wants to see, and i see Pavlik taking the win, by points, TKO or KO.

In America, Kelly is the man of the moment, if Joe wants to really seal his legacy (although i don’t think he needs to personally he’s a legend already) he should fight and beat a fresh, American destroyer who’s young and on everyone’s mind.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Agreed! :D

7. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Hmm I disagree. I think he does need to seal his legacy, and the only way to do that is by defeating Pavlik. Despite the fact that i believe Joe is a great boxer, there are always going to be haters out there. His fight with Hopkins didn't really do a great deal to eliminate the haters. If he fights Jones, he fights a lose-lose situation - if he loses, he will be claimed to be useless, and hyped up, beaten by an old has been; if he wins; people will say that he has only beaten an old has been, and has dodged Pavlik. If he fights Pavlk and loses, he may aquire some respect from is haters. If he wins, his legacy will be sealed.

Em

8. Hiroji

yeh i know where your coming from, but to me personally Joe is an all time great even if he retired now.

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Calzaghe is the longest reigning title holder in any weight class in boxing, recently passing the ten year mark as the WBO super middleweight champion.

He's a legend just for his longevity.

10. shaolinmonkmark

shaolinmonkmark Valued Member

trust me on this one!!!!

re watch kessler vs. calzaghe.
    Now ask yourself, what if kessler fought pavlick, who would win?
    Now, remember what calzaghe did to kessler?
    I have been a calzaghe fan for almost 13 years, and believe me, he would stuff pavlik, and not stand there and let pavlik have his way at all.

11. Emil

Emil Valued Member

I realy think you're underestimating pavlik there to be honest. Kessler was good, but I think Pavlick's in a different league at the moment.

Em

12. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Ya, that's basically my view too. Got to have a Pavlik fight.

I don't know, man. I saw the last two Pavlik fights. The dude is at the top of the boxing game. How can you say he's not? I'm not taking anything away from Calzaghe, but I just don't think you can say about anyone right now that he'd "stuff Pavlik."

Oh, we so need this matchup! Bring it on! :D

13. cowzerp

cowzerp Valued Member

Pavlik would KO him within 6 rounds, easy fight for him actually, calzaghe would walk onto his big shots.

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

One way for Calzaghe to silence his critics would be to take out Pavlick first, then do business with Jones to retire an undisputed legend.

15. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Calzaghe has had over 120 puls amateur fights (losing only one against Michael Smyth in the 1990 Welsh ABA Final), and 45 professional fights. That's a record in excess of 165 fights, with ony 1 loss in all of those fights. I thin it's safe to say that Joe is a bit more prudent than to be walking into shots. It certainly would not be an easy fight for Pavlik. In any case, I just don't see the fight happening. Joe wants Roy Jones.

I'd like to see that, but again I don't see it happening.

Em

16. Hiroji

If Cal really wants to seal his legacy in America, he should fight Pavlik in the UFC! :D

17. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Out of interest, yesterday Calzaghe vacated the WBO and WBC super middleweight titles.

Em

18. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

:eek:

Where did you hear this, Ems?? I googled but didnt find any info....

19. Emil

Emil Valued Member

I think I read about it in Boxing News Magazine, but you can read about it here

http://http://www.thefightnetwork.com/news/boxing/518/calzaghe_vacates_wbc_wbo_belts

It's no surprise really. It's long been speculated about. This makes a fight with pavlik even more unlikely, as Pavlik is ony a Midleweight, and would have to pack on 13lbs to meet Joe, who isn't likely to want to fight under Light heavy again, as he likes not having to keep his weight so low as he used to have to.

Em

20. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

nice critque