Calling All Bookworms!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Bigmikey, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

Ok, this is a LOOOONG shot, lol, but its worth it.

When I was a kid, the first Martial Arts book I ever bought was Wah Lum Praying Mantis. Basically it covered some basic warm ups, some stretching exercises, some basic technique and the 'First Fist' form.

I read that book like a sinner reads the bible. I learned a fair bit of that form and still remember a few steps today, lol. Anyway, for strictly nostalgic purposes I'd really like to get the book again - just to add to my collection more than anything but also, to give the form a go again, lol. Just for the giggles of it.

If anyone has seen a copy of this book or HAS a copy I'd really like to get it. Here's a cover shot which is about all I've been able to find on line:

[​IMG]

I'll gladly pay for the copy and any shipping costs if anyone has a copy of it they'd part with.

Anyway, like I said, I realize this is a wicked huge long shot.

Thanks everyone.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Looks like Amazon sell it.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Wah-Lum-Temple-Kung-fu-First/dp/B0006YV5D6"]Amazon.com: Wah Lum Temple Kung-fu: First fist form: P Chan: Books[/ame]

3. Bigmikey

Yeah. They do. But a used book for THAT MUCH makes that my last resort. I was hoping I might find some kind hearted soul in the states who'd ask less.

I want the book, but I don't know if I want it $35 worth, lol :D

4. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

Lol! That's kind of what happened to me.

When I was in high school I "borrowed" a book from the library and never gave it back. So, about 5 years later I find the book and I felt pretty bad about what I did so I shoot the librarian an email and after working out the details, he asks me to purchase a hard cover copy of the book and send it to him. The one I took was paperback and it was already is a bad condition, and keeping it in the bottom of my book shelf for so many years made it even worse, but I was completely fine with getting a hard cover edition (hey! at least I have an opportunity to make amends I thought).

So I go on Amazon and check for the price of the book, and WHAM $150.00 for a used edition. It looks like the hardcover edition is a collector's item now because it has been out of print for over 50 years!

I emailed the librarian again asking if I could purchase a few paperback copies instead, but he was adamant about it. Again, completely understandable since books in high school have a very short life expectancy.

So, I ended buying the cheapest one for over $40 and it had to be shipped over from the UK. It still hasn't arrived so I am hoping it's in ok condition :p

5. Bigmikey

You're a good man, WoAA. I gotta be honest... at those prices I'd have lost his e-mail address! :D

6. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

Ha! I won't lie, I was seriously tempted :D

Anyway, I hope you find that book. I go to these Thrift stores and sometimes I find MA books. I'll keep an eye out for it.

7. Bigmikey

THANK you! That'd be awesome!

8. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Since it's out of print it would be awesome if someone somewhere in this world made a PDF version.
    Not that I'm suggesting anyone here should as that might be illegal.

9. Bigmikey

..... exactly. That would be bad. Very bad. And we're good. So very good..... yeah....

10. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

And I certainly wouldn't want someone pointing me in that direction

11. Bigmikey

Oh well that goes without saying! Of course not. Absolutely not. Uh uh.... nope, no way....