Calf problems when kicking

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Pkhamidar2com, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Pkhamidar2com

Pkhamidar2com Panda Member

Hello, just so you know...

i do tangsoodo, have been for about 4 months, maybe more... i am 16 years old

anyways, to the question. When i do kicks with my feet pointed, so for example if i were to do a front kick or round kick with the instep of my foot, i have to point my feet.

The feeling is a tight feeling or a pulling feeling, only in the right leg. Like the back of the knee, but below it where the calf is.

When i go to do that... right at the peak of the movement. Basically first you chamber, then you snap, at the end of that snap when your leg is completely extended... i feel this feeling in my calf. Its vague when i do it with roundhouse and front kick to the groin practice

but its worse when i try to do an axe kick. The modern axe kick where you keep your feet pointed to compress the Achilles tendon to reduce the chances of it snapping when you miss... When i point my feet, and explode my leg up, i feel that tight feeling...

ive tried stretching and everything but it wont go away. The only way to stop it is if i do the opposite. So for example, instead of hitting someone with a roundhouse with the instep, i flex my ankle, and kick with the balls of my feet. Same with front kick, if i kick with the ball of my feet, the way my foot is positioned in order to do a front or roundhouse kick with the balls of the foot causes that feeling to dissapear.

Same for axe kick, if i kick with just the heel, or the old fashion way of axe kicking where achilis tendon is not compressed... i feel nothing...

what should i do?

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

3. Pkhamidar2com

hmm... but my right side is more dominant... yet my left side doesnt feel this pain?

anyways i dont mind doing calf raises... I dont know what it is but it doesnt feel good, not pain... just really really uncomfortbale.

4. Fish Of Doom

you probably have a stronger left calf. grab your dumbbells and go do your calf raises :D

5. Pkhamidar2com

hmm ok, what type of reprange should i aim for?

will jump roping give the same effect?

6. Fish Of Doom

yeah, jumping rope would help, as would sprinting.

you need strength, so go as heavy as you can. if you can do a 3x10 you need more weight (although hypertrophy from a 3x0, 4x8, 10/8/6 or similar range will still give you strength, just not maximal gains).

7. Pkhamidar2com

oh ok thanks, wait lol 3x0? ???

anyways will do this tomorow, thanks man! how long do you think it will take for the feeling to go away? a week or two?

8. Fish Of Doom

3x10*, sorry :p

9. Fish Of Doom

dunno, could take one or two workouts (post-DOMS, of course), could take a month, depends on how your body reacts to the resistance you apply.

10. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

also start foam rolling.

that stuff is amazing

11. Pkhamidar2com

unfortunatly I don't have access to foam rollers: (

12. Mangosteen

you can make one. tutorials available via google

13. Mangosteen

or do what i do - use a medicine ball instead

14. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Use a tennis ball, cricket ball, lacrosse ball or even a bit of metal piping (if you're masochistic enough) instead.

15. Pkhamidar2com

oh ok yeah i have a big big big ball. Like a size of a beach ball, would that be too big... wait ill upload a pic of it in a minute.

16. Yeah? I have two............ :D:D

Osu!

17. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

18. Pkhamidar2com

ok i will use a small hard ball, ill look around the house and see what i cna find. I have some tennis balls around somewhere. and lol old kyokushin.

19. liero

liero Valued Member

also you could benefit from just shaping your foot in the kick position whenever your doing nothing. i.e. watching tv/posting on map