C# and garbage collection.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Tika, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Tika

Tika New Member

We did C# before we did C++, so just using whatever.dispose() and allowing the garbage collector to do as it pleased seemed ok. While learning, we read/heard that you can take more control over memory management with finalize and some other functions, but that it was recommended we leave that to the garbage collector, and not screw around with the other stuff. We then migrated to C++ for some projects that we needed to write in that language, and now that we see the difference that the allocation and deallocation of memory makes in the amount of memory the program takes, we want to take more control of the management in C#. Has anyone does this, and if so, would you recommend it?

2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Does anybody know any good C/Programming Forums?

:D

3. Tika

Tika New Member

grrr.. I was so excited to get a responce...darn you... Im gonna put this on easy-tek too I guess. No one will reply...*sigh*

4. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Sorry about that. :(

I just didn't want your post to go totally unanswered.

Are you a member of any Prigramming Forums?

Cheers. :)

5. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

I don't really do C#, considering I think it just a terrible clone of Java. But fi you want real control over the memory C# isn't the way to do it, C# is too far removed from the hardware to have that type of control.

If you want real control over the memory, use C, start loving malloc(). realloc() and free().

6. Tika

Tika New Member

Its not that big of a deal. If memory is a huge issue we will write some stuff in C++. The point is, we dont want to. And C# is excellent, very easy to use. Just a lot of memory overhead with the framework, and with garbage collection. But there are some ways to lessen that...Im just wondering if anyone has.

7. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

Java has less framework overhead and has the benefit on working outside of windows.

8. Tika

Tika New Member

We have learned how to use 4 languages over the past ten months (learned enough for our purposes at least). C# has what we need. The reason Im asking the question is just so we can make it a little better. We have no interest in learning yet another language. Im sure we could, since I heard its very similar to c#, but we are happy with what were currently doing.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2004