bwahaha the rediculousness of it all..

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by TheDarkJester, Oct 13, 2006.

1. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

So this past wednesday I'm at class, working on flowing from abisiderio (sp?) to contra sumbrada to punyo sumbrada, working to get that awareness down.. Well me and my friend tend to go a bit harder than most and I ended up with a nice set of shot rattan sticks.. Well my guro informed me that was a good thing.. Why you ask?

One: Because its a fresh set of sticks! :D
    Two: Mine were too small?!?!?! :eek: I had 26" sticks I want to say, spiral burned rattan.

Well my problem is I'm 6'8, and my guro informed me that my size sticks should come from the underside of my arm to the tips of my finger.. thats a 36" reach. So instead of paying for shipping plus the cost of sticks.. better solution. 6 foot rattan staff hacked in half! :)

Now I'm wondering now that I'm weaving sinawali and working footwork by myself with these massive laundry poles.. Obviously at a long to medium range I can do well.. but in Corte range is what kinda worries me... I don't want to be great at largo and end up screwing the pooch at punyo smashing range. :) Anyone have experience with longer sticks at close range? If I have to I'll cut them down, but I'm really digging on these long sticks now.. I could probably push a barge thru the water with these suckers! :D

2. oosh

oosh Valued Member

hmm I'm not that tall myself so advice would be probably more useful from the likes Pat. I'd think at corto draw the weapon in closer and use your hips to generate power through your body, I think good body mechanics may be the key here. Don't give up on your 26 inch sticks bro, use them to practice barong/bolo work :)

3. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Hi Dark Jester,
    I think in able to do the closer stuff as in Cabales or others that call for the Corte range you should go to the 28" stick that I use and grip it with a 2" of the stick at the punyo, below your palm.

The 28" is as large as I would go, to much difference when working with others and the stick would have to be no larger then 7/8".

The 36" are to overpowering and clumsy to move for that drill. IMHO. You would be at a distinct disadvantage.
    But not to worry, you can work out with them just not while doing drills with someone else IMHO.

Why would you move into the corte range with that kind of reach and advantage? Granted to learn you would need to, but not in real life. Not me anyway.

Regards, Gary

4. SCP_Kensei

SCP_Kensei www.taintedlover.com

TBH I think you're only having difficulty because you're not used to the longer sticks at the moment.

Whilst it is easier to weave shorter sticks, the stick you have will be presenting you with much the same feeling that the shorter sticks are prviding for everyone else.

If you want shorter sticks then get shorter sticks but I cant help feeling that overall you might be better off pereseveering with the longer ones, because once you are used ot using them you wont be at a disadvantage at shorter range, and you willmaintaint he advantage at longer ranges.

5. BatongBuhay

BatongBuhay Valued Member

36"... i have a pair like that as well. im only 5'4". not recomended for my height at the corto range but its still manageable. i have to really use my whole body for torquing though, plus its a great workout. i usually use them to feed "bigay-tama" for fun

6. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Bigay=to give

Hi,

I figure if it is "to give", the other must be "and take". A striking exercise done in a certain pattern.

This is one thing I try to always point out what does the "motherland" word term, mean in the language of the county you are teaching.

But if you are using the 36 the others should also. To give and deflect would be different. Or to give and receive.
    No way would you try to stop or take the hit from a club that would break your stick. The fast movement of the legs and a parry (deflect) would be my thought's, or not.

The bigger stick is great for those working out and strengthing the wrists and arms. I use a two handed for that also, but it is 42".

Gary :)

7. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Hi DarkJester,

Well the longer sticks for your hight are better, but maybe the ones you have are too long for training Abcdario at Corto range.

I would suggest you use the standard 28 inch sticks as you may find it easier to work in this area with them.

Also when your in corto, you need to use more body mechanics, hip rotation and angling to generate power in your strikes at this range, and drawing your strikes through as using a blade is a great method to use (Corto Linier), also using snapping (watik) strikes applying strikes with the tip of the stick that curve around the opponent has great effect (Corto Curvada Style).

Don't get rid of the longer or shorter sticks, training with all of them as they will give you a different feel, and if your instructor insists you use your long poles;) a good way to do this is to start off with the short sticks, once your comfortable, move to the standard size sticks and finally move on to the longer sticks. This way you get a progression and it helps you adapt from the short to the long sticks more easily.

Hope this helps.

Best regards

Pat

8. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

Thanks Pat! I appreciate the feedback from everyone! I think now that I've gotten a bit used to them and the extra weight on them its just fine to swing about.... :D

Now Pat.. when you say Abcdario at Corte.. to me it seems like you're trying to say long at close range.. which confuses me to no end. The Abcdario sumbradas we do are a long range drill with a 1 strike (downward 45 degree strike to their left side. Then a 4 strike (upward 45 to their right), pull back on the 4 and strike with a #2 angle to the head.. which from there you can flow into Contra Sumbrada or if you rush in punyo sumbrada. I do pekiti tirsia so perhaps the terminology is a bit different from what you're used to.. I knew the numbering system for FMA's are a bit different from style to style, but I thought the drills and terminology used for such were practically universal.

9. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Your size and the length of the stick

The bigger the man the bigger the stick I don't think that is a good way to look at it. Similar as in Golf clubs, need to bend at the knees and not have such a huge arc. :confused:

I believe the longer sticks will be counter productive in my humble opinion.

28" is as long as I would go and I would not go for the heavier stick in the drills I would use a light one less the 1".

The Arnis guys seem to go for the thicker stick 1 1/4" like the baton of the pd's. But usually of rattan. Not hickory...If you are there to learn and train, it is best to be compatible with all.

With your longer arms there is an advantage. But then you have a disadvantage also, especially inside, all big guys need to keep away. Strike from a far and move, move, move.

Just like in Boxing. Get into close and you have to go with the take aways and hand fighting. IMO.

But when defanging the snake you are still very suseptible to injury if you are not quick.

Train and enjoy, "all of it is chicken just different flavor's".

ABC's is abc'derio (slightly different spelling) since it goes on to d and e. ;)
    Is the Basics. Basics, not in close or far, but the Basics.

Regards,
    Gary

10. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Valued Member

oh... those sticks... they made me sweat really hard in our "bigay-tama"...

11. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Hi Dark Jester,
    As you can gather from other posts terminologies are not universial in FMA, the same terminologie can mean something totally different to each style/system, this is also partially due to the fact that there are so many dialects and languages spoken in the Philippines. The Abcdario or Abecedario if you like just means to me anyway, Basics. Contra Sumbrada would mean Counter Drill and Punyo Sumbrada would mean butt striking drill. But hopefully you get the gist of what I was trying to say.

Best regards

Pat

12. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

I remember a school that taught youngsters the drills, problem was he did not have any sticks that were correct for them. Much to large, to hard to move etc., wrecked their desire right out of the get-go. Some could barely move them let alone hit. LOL

The smaller the stick in dia. the easier for you to move them, the bigger the more difficult, some like to keep a loose grip, others grip to hard. Takes some time and lots of practice. One way to learn is to do it, over and over and over.

I was teaching some to hit the speed bags, good for strength, could not do it for very long at first, then worked up to more and more time on them.
    Same thing with the drills takes time and effort. Sore is what comes to mind.

The big heavier sticks are good for strengthening but not for drills with another, IMHO...

But you will take this information and do what you feel best, not the best sometimes. Reason they have regulations in the ring... Set standards etc..

Regards, Gary :D

13. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

the abecedario debate has now been split

Last edited: Oct 19, 2006