Buying training mats

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by StingKing, Apr 18, 2007.

1. StingKing

StingKing Valued Member

hi i am looking for places to buy training mats (Australia) The places I know are selling rubber mats that are up to 40mm in thickness.

Before telling me I should train with thin mats or on wood or concrete, I want to get thicker mats because I want to train on somewhat more risky and dangerous techniques.

I also have a previous injury and want to avoid getting serious injury that might ruin my love and joy for Ninjutsu. Also to get my techniques right first before I practice it more frequently at the dojo where the mats are thin, not good for falling head first :bang:

Don't mind second hand stores, can I have some recommendations for places to buy please.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  2. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

good reasons!!

3. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

I've got 40mm rubber mats, but they're not as good for avoiding breaking yourself as mats in training (though that's depending on what mats you train on!). I find them quite hard, similar to rolling on grass rather than concrete...

If you're looking at doing risky stuff and not getting hurt then personally I'd recommend you go for more of a thin crash mat type than the 40mm rubbers.

That's my input anyway :D

4. elftengu

elftengu Banned Banned

The 40mm jigsaw mats are the thickest they do I think, and not ideal but probably the best of the bunch as far as cheap mats go.

It is a big step financially up to proper judo tatami but you could probably get away with having only one to start with.

It depends on how extreme training is that you intend to do. Rolling and breakfalling should be achievable without injury well within a year of training and tatami a luxury item for repeated impact during a dojo training session.

5. prowla

prowla Valued Member

The problem with jigsaw mats is that the lugs can break off.

6. elftengu

elftengu Banned Banned

That sounds painful!

:D