Buying starter weapons

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Darkflight, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Darkflight

Darkflight New Member

My apologies if this has been covered in threads elsewhere, I couldn't find anything in my initial browsing.

I'm on the hunt for weaponry, namely a Jo (4ft) staff, a Bo (6ft) staff and some form of wooden ninja training sword (bokken or the like). I've searched numerous websites and been baffled by all the terms used. The weapons (especially the staffs) will be used in training, so they'll need to handle a pummelling, so fancy display weapons are out.

Any advice anyone could give would be much appreciated.

S>

2. kobudo_tob

kobudo_tob Valued Member

My advice is to go down to your local martial arts shop and talk to the blokie there - quite surprising, the owners of these shops tend to be quite friendly, purely because they meet a lot of very 'bigheaded' martial artists.

But if you don't have a local martial arts shop then.....well.......you're screwed. No wait, you're not - just ask us on the forum what terms baffle you and we'll help you out.

3. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

4. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

A great many of my aikido classmates like Bujin's products (bujindesign.com). I purchased the bokken from Bugei (bugei.com) and I like it because of it's realistic shape, but compared to other bokkens at my school it's big, and big is not the best choice for a beginner. I sometimes wish that I had a lighter sword. I bought my jo at the local karate mart. It's a medium-quality Chinese import that is quite sufficient for now.

And yes, in aikido our weapons do take a beating.

5. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Bujin Design has very good weapons. I got an Iaito sword from them, it is very high quality, but if you are just wanting starter weapons try something else because some Bujin weapons are quite expensive. Martial Arts Mart has alot of stuff at good prices, but some of their stuff is quite crappy, but not all of it.

6. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Make 'em. Go to your local lumber yard or hardware store and get some stock rod. Cut it, sand it, and aplly a finish. As for a bokken, I picked mine up 20 years ago at a seminar and can't remember who made it. It's the size of a ninja-to and quite durable.

7. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

I don't know if it is worth making wooden weapons yourself...they break so easily. :D

8. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

I made my hanbo and jo, and a shoge and training knives out of everything from wood to polyboard. Some I have had for 6 years or longer and they are holding up just fine. Don't use inferior materials, and you can make quality weapons.

9. Darkflight

Darkflight New Member

Thankyou for you help, as far as i'm aware there aren't any stores locally (Nottingham, UK, if anyone knows different) and I sadly don't have the time to make my own at the moment. I'll have a browse of the links and see what I think, thanks for your help, you lovely lovely people :)

10. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

if you make your own training weapons try to get hickory the bnest to use or red oak or white oak.

I had red oak boken that I trashed, it split down the middle to the handle.

you can always try
    www.woodenswords.com
    store.yahoo.com/kendobogu

Last edited: Jul 7, 2003
  11. Darkflight

Darkflight New Member

Thankyou, i've ordered a bog standard cheap bokken from www.blitzsport.com, so we'll see how long that lasts (£7, worth a shot) and i've found 4' broom handles in Wilkos for £1.50, can't use 'em practically, but good for forms and the like until I find better :)

12. NotAMonte86

NotAMonte86 New Member

One of my instructors advised getting white oak.

13. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

the cheap boken will last longer if oyu dont use full power which is how mine got cracked but then again I was also able to crack hickory well training.