Bushido Ju-Jitsu

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Rolo1982, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Rolo1982

Rolo1982 New Member

Hi folks, there is a traditional Jiu Jitsu club that's just landed on my radar down the road from me and is super easy to get to. Since I have no idea on what constitutes as quality for a Traditional Jitsu club. I'm hoping that people who know their stuff would be so kind to have a look and let me know what they think. I'm planning on doing BJJ near me with a reputable club which is fine. This club trains once a week and could compliment the BJJ
    the arts studied are:

Ju-Jitsu
    Kick-Jutsu
    Kobudo
    Bartitsu - this I have never heard of before but sounds good

link is here: The Bushido Academy International – Bushido Academy International

Thank you to all in advance who chip in :D

2. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I'm losing my patience with people cobbling together techniques from karate & judo, throwing in some stuff that they've read in books & seen on the internet and calling it Japanese Ju-jitsu, kobudo or similar

This looks to me (albeit based on a cursory view) to very much fall into that category...

I'd focus on BJJ and make sure that you get some good stand up self defence training there (if they do it which I appreciate not many really do)

Also what the hell is kick-jitsu????

3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Um, "traditional"? Not by a long shot.
    Bartitsu died more than 100 years ago, and it was a non-traditional mix-and-match of several fighting styles anyway. Kick-Jutsu is obviously a flashy way of repackaging karate and (Japanese) jujitsu. Kobudo can be good, but I would not trust the quality when it's taught side-by-side with those other two arts.

Vince Millett, Rolo1982 and Travess like this.
  4. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Move house!!!

Travess

Rolo1982 and axelb like this.
  5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

It looks terrible, and will take away from time Spent training BJJ.

6. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

These are the things that make me agree with the poor assessment from others ... The arts listed are generic in nature, with no mention of who taught them or how long they've trained. They sell themselves as a "traditional Japanese" school, yet they misuse a number of Japanese terms. Their history is totally generic in nature, with no mention of their school's particular history or training. Kick-Jutsu is just silliness, and I had a hard time believing they were actually serious about it. :)

Definitely go with the BJJ. You may be able to learn something interesting from this bunch to compliment it as long as you ignore the whole "samurai" shtick that they're trying to sell, as it appears to me that they've made it up entirely.

Rolo1982 likes this.
  7. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I know! Seriously, Master Ken's martial art has a better name than that. I honestly thought it was made up, but on a lark I googled it, and found several schools in different countries teaching it. ::jaw drop:: (Wait, what?) Maybe I'm violating the maxim "don't judge a book by it's cover" but the very sound of "I have an 8th degree black belt in KICK-JUTSU !!" is as silly as Kip Dynamite saying he's training to be a cage fighter.

pgsmith, Van Zandt and Rolo1982 like this.
  8. Rolo1982

Rolo1982 New Member

Thanks everyone for chipping in, I will take the advice given.
    cheers :)

since were on about Jiu Jitsu - the Techniques that Rickson Gracie uses for "self defence" where do they come from?
    from what I've seen they look like aikido with wrist locks, arm locks, throws etc

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

BJJ

Which came from Judo

Which came from Ju Jitsu

There are only so many ways you can twist a limb

pgsmith, Van Zandt and Rolo1982 like this.
  10. Rolo1982

Rolo1982 New Member

very true, cheers Hannibal. so am I right in saying that in this video at 3:35 the escape from bear hug is Ju Jitsu (traditional)

maybe this has been done to death or there is another thread for it so apologies if there is. the stand up self defence aspect of BJJ doesn't seem to be taught in a lot of shall we say "sport orientated" BJJ clubs. is this because it doesn't work? the mantra I get from reading stuff online is if you can do it in competition or a club that trains for competition then should you ever become unlucky enough to be dragged into an unavoidable physical confrontation you will be better equipped for that situation.

11. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Seriously just go train, look at what they do and see if its worthwhile for you.

Have you been to any of the clubs you have asked about yet?

aikiMac and Dead_pool like this.
  12. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

The premise for why these aren't drilled in a lot of BJJ premise is similar to boxing.

You go to a boxing club to learn to defend yourself in a fight. At no point will a boxing instructor ever teach you how to deal with a really sloppy haymaker because with decent boxing training you should already be able to deal with it and more.

Same premise for grappling. Nobody ever trains how to get out of a headlock because intuitively it's not that hard once you have the basics.

There is a big section missing from BJJ places and that is that they don't teach takedowns or they don't have a dedicated kind of wrestling class. That's a flaw you can cover by taking up Judo, wrestling, sambo etc

13. Dead_pool

Virtually all bjj clubs cover real life fighting too,

They all either

A) use the standard SD material often as a part of the intro course. (which are essentially short cuts that only reliably work on non fighters)

B) also train MMA anyway and so cover it

C) lots of places also use headlock defences anyway as you do actually need to train them as a self defence vs newbies in rolling!

14. Dead_pool

Also the SD stuff from BJJ is adjusted SD stuff from judo, which in itself is adjusted jujutsu.

The ljnk you posted is a guys recreation of jujutsu, so whilst it looks similar it isn't at all close, you can do a better job yourself by watching video instructionals, but why would you when you have actual clubs you can go to.

15. Vince Millett

Vince Millett Haec manus inimica tyrannis MAP 2017 Gold Award

What everyone else has said. Agreed.

Worth mentioning that most "traditional" or "Japanese" jiu jitsu here in the UK is not . Most schools are based on styles developed post-WW2 by "reverse engineering" judo and putting some old techniques back in. Nothing wrong with that, as far as it goes, as long as they're not selling nonsense histories along with it. To be fair, most main schools seem to be open about their histories. I'm also happy to observe that many teachers are investigating or cross-training in BJJ which I think can only be a good thing and will bring back the "liveness" which is an essential part of the art that can be easily lost in traditional settings.

(Incidentally, we've become aware of a school near our BJJ academy where a high level black belt in a Korean version of trad jiu jitsu apparently holds a Royce Gracie blue belt also - so we've been told - but advertises as teaching BJJ).

When Kano developed Judo, there were maybe about 100 extant ryu still in existence but many of those were pretty much in name only - they were some old guys keeping the name alive but had become barely functional. Most still- functional schools were gradually absorbed into the Kodokan and Judo (in its full form with all the kata etc) was a way to train jiu jitsu safely including the randori or sparring that is essential for a martial art to be of practical application. There are very few jiu jitsu styles still in existence in Japan although there are some. There are fewer genuinely Japanese ones outside Japan.

It can be a minefield knowing what is nonsense and what isn't in the world of martial arts so it's useful having a forum like this to ask questions in. It's still just our opinions, though...

16. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Yeah agreed

The SD curriculum in BJJ is pretty much the same as judo. In essence it's a simplified curriculum created from the introductory levels of two or three traditional schools that Kano studied with some gun defence thrown in for modern times

In my view it's important for people training BJJ to:
    a) Know what is viable for SD and what isn't
    b) Have trained some straightforward techniques for the SD situations which are different from what you'd see in a competition or rolling in the academy. The BJJ SD curriculum will probably give you this
    c) Realise that SD training is not the core focus of BJJ and the SD curriculum is kinda like an intro to the subject

There are many Japanese Jiu-Jitsu (jujutsu) schools still operating and several legit ways to study traditional Japanese jujutsu in the UK. These schools go much deeper into aspects of broad SD scenarios than the BJJ/Judo self defence curriculum, but as others have mentioned it's a different thing from the site you referenced

pgsmith likes this.