Bulking

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Cownose, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Cownose

Cownose Valued Member

I want to gain some weight this summer while I've got a break from BJJ, but I'm thinking that training exclusively for size will make me weaker (pound for pound) than I am now. I'll probably end up lifting in the 8-10 rep range along with 20 rep squats every week or two, but I'm really worried that by the time I finally hit my goal weight I'll be weaker than everyone else in that weight class because of all the high-rep work. Are there ways to get around this, or am I worrying about nothing?

2. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

If you are worried about this, why are you working on size? Just a thought.

Even if you do work these rep ranges, you will still get stronger, just not as effectively as if you worked lower reps.

3. Cownose

Cownose Valued Member

I want to work on size because I'm only 150, and being 170 or so would make things easier if I was ever involved in a real situation...so I guess it's kind of a choice between being effective in real life or in the ring, and I'm still not sure what I'll do.

4. Ad McG

If you work on strength, the size will come. Why bother with bodybuilding when you could just work on strength and eat a hypercaloric diet? You will still put plenty of weight on, trust me. There are a ton of programs on t-nation.com aimed at putting on weight as well as increasing strength.

5. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

I'm gonna say go with low reps, heavy weight, and a decent amount of sets. I personally respond well to high sets (about 8 to 10 when lifting in low rep ranges), and low reps (about 4-5 reps). But that's me. Try staying in the low rep ranges, and mess around with sets, and as Adam said, if you want to get bigger, EAT! Don't want size, then restrict calories.

6. Cownose

Cownose Valued Member

I've been taking in about 3800-4100 calories a day for almost a year now...at the beginning of the year I put on ten pounds of muscle doing higher reps (8-10), but I haven't gained any weight since I started doing low reps about 7 months ago. I'm still getting stronger, just not growing. Maybe I'm not getting enough protein...the nutritionist told me that I'm getting more than enough (125-150g), but I could easily get more if I got some protein powder or something...thoughts?

7. Ad McG

Up the calories by about 500 calories and see what happens.

8. Cownose

Cownose Valued Member

Most likely my stomach will finally explode :eek:

I'll give it a try though, thanks.

9. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

Maybe pyramid training might benefit you, if you can't decide which way or the other. But I should imagine that you could train specifically for hypertrophy for a while, then strength a little while before you need it. then you will be even stronger. up to you though, eh

10. Ad McG

If upping the calories doesn't work and you have actually changed your workouts significantly, you need to either increse the volume or intensity, sometimes even both but this is unlikely. Post your stuff up and we can check it out.

11. Shadowdh

Shadowdh Seeker of Knowledge

AM has some great points here... I would up the calories as he says by upping your protein intake... if you weigh 150 and are only taking in 125-150grams protein then that could be your prob... up the protein to around 250... this will add 400+ calories right there and give your body the fuel to build muscle...

12. Cownose

Cownose Valued Member

I've been doing mostly rehab stuff lately (bad back and shoulders) but I'm going to go back to my old strength training program once summer begins. I usually don't follow a very strict schedule, but I'll give you an idea of what I would normally do:

Monday - Squats 10x3, bench 5x3, weighted dips 5x5.
    Tuesday - rest
    Wednesday - Ab stuff.
    Thursday - Deadlifts 10x1 (after a bunch of warmup sets, I'm not that good at deadlifting), weighted chin ups (I start from bodyweight and add weight until I'm doing singles and I do those til I feel like I'm getting close to my max), bent-over rows (sometimes) 5x5.
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - Weighted hyperextensions 5x5, ab stuff, sometimes leg press 4x6.
    Sunday - Farmer's walk (I just walk across the gym, rest, and come back), chin ups (fast) 10x3.

That's a rough outline, I'll randomly add things like dumbell snatches, shrugs, and cleans whenever I feel like it. I also do HIIT whenever my legs feel decent (not often), and I usually do light bodyweight exercises or jogging on the rest days.