Bulking up

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Vimtoforblood, May 12, 2005.

1. I know there are one or two threads here about generally gaining weight but could do with a little more specific help.

I'm 24 years old 6'2'' and weigh 69kgs.
    My bmi is 20. Which is classed as normal.
    I've always been pretty slim and have ofund it hard to gain weight.
    I dont have gym membership but do tae kwon do at least twice a week.

I am trying to bulk up. Can anyone suggest the best way to do this.
    Can anyone suggest any specific exercises that i can do using weights at home? I don't know of any exercises I can do to increase Ab size?

Help appreciated.

2. Using weights, check out http://www.exrx.net/Lists/WtMale.html

Increasing ab size:

The abs are like any other muscle. Doing 500 biceps curls won't increase size of biceps, in the same way that 8,000,000 sit ups won't increase ab size. Aim for 10-12 reps of crunches/twists/full contact twists etc, with a weight held to your chest.

Of course, the fitness freaks on here know FAR more than me, and will probably be more help.

:)

3. ebrigham

ebrigham Valued Member

Also, as long as you keep lean, don't worry about your BMI too much.

4. Cuchulain82

Cuchulain82 Custodia Legis

Coincidentally, I just posted my routine in the "Seen the Light" thread (click here). It is a heavier routine than most other people here, and if it appeals to you, reply or pm me.

5. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

Cuchulain's program is a bodybuilder's program. If you are a beginner to weights it will be far too much for you. I'll diagnose you with the big 4:

Squats
    Deadlifts
    Bench Press
    Chin Ups/Pull ups

Other people will most likely add other suggestions, but for a beginner, these 4 could be the base of your workout (you can still have a few others to keep things going). Just keep in mind that squats and deadlifts are very similar in muscle usage, so you won't usually want to do them in the same day.

Oh and if you're a complete beginner to weights, don't expect to bulk up for a little while, it will happen if you put the effort in, but it won't start to happen for a couple of months (3-6 months, round there) but will definitely make strength gains in those months without growing muscle (I don't want to explain the nueral adaptations that take place).

Happy trainin,

6. Cuchulain82

Cuchulain82 Custodia Legis

My program is a little more advanced, but I don't think it would be too much for you. I mean, you said you want to bulk up, right? When I started lifting, I had a program that is essentially the same as it is now; I've tweaked it and changed what I didn't like, but it follows the similar structure. If you can lift 3-4 times a week, here is some advice:
    -Hit every muscle group once during the week
    -Try to do 3 different exercises for each muscle group, 3 sets/exercise
    -Have excellent form, don't use too much weight, and lift with an experienced friend (if possible).
    -Warming up is very important and if you don't it will effect your lifting session. Do 3-5 mins of cardio to warm your body up generally, and then do a few sets at very light weight to warm the specific muscle group up. Alternately, you can do your ab set as a warmup (that is what I do, but I'm not a true ab aficionado)

If you are interested, I can get more specific.

I can't argue with this, but I will say that if you want to make your muscles bigger, you will have to get into exercises that hit specific groups and not just compound exercises. This won't be necessary at the beginning.

This is good advice. One other thing- after you lift the first time, your muscles will absolutely ACHE! For me it was horrible- after lifting my shoulders I couldn't lift my hands to wash my hair for a few days. I'm telling you this so you know that this only happens the first time you lift. After your body becomes accostomed to lifting, the lactic acid won't build up like this. That first time is a killer though...

Indeed, happy training and good luck! :D

Last edited: May 13, 2005
  7. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

If you want to bulk up, then eat more. Done. If you want to put on muscle, then join the gym and eat alot.

8. JinkokMike

JinkokMike New Member

Plain and simple as always with you knightcommander.

P.S delete some of your stored messages please so I can PS you back.

9. NaughtyKnight

Yeh I deleted them. You guys message me too much. ;)

10. JinkokMike

JinkokMike New Member

Maybe because you are easy and cool to talk to.

11. NaughtyKnight

Eat alot, eat more calories than you need in a day, and you will grow. You will put on some fat, but that can be lost. If you look at bodybuilders during their off season, they look like complete fat bums, they lose the fat before competing.

If you want to weigh 215lbs (100kg) of muscle, you will need to weigh around 260lbs before hitting the cardio to lose the excess fat.

12. NaughtyKnight

Haha, :D

Thanks man.

13. JinkokMike

JinkokMike New Member

No probs,but it's true.

14. JinkokMike

JinkokMike New Member

But to answer the question.
    well what ever exercises you do with weights just make sure you do little amount of sets and more repetitions WITH heavy weights as this will build muscle rather than the opposite which increases speed more sets with light weights and with the same amount of repetitions.

good luck in building bulk.;)

Mike.

Last edited: May 13, 2005
  15. NaughtyKnight

I actually find high weights with high reps (6-8 reps) build muscle faster. Its all to do with increased muscle capacity, which is high exercison over long periods of time.

16. JinkokMike

JinkokMike New Member

I know what your saying but with little reps the muscle can get more oxygen so increasing it's output.But everone's different!

17. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Dude, he's calllin' you a whore!

(sorry)

18. NaughtyKnight

:eek:

I didnt need to be told that on here. My girlfriend tells me that every night. :D

19. Nick K

Nick K Sometimes a Valued Member

If you are new to lifting, its not just muscles that need time to adjust.

Your tendons and ligaments need time to adjust; your nervous system needs time to learn how to recruit muscle fibres.

So
    1. Find a gym and get proper instruction in how to do BASIC COMPOUND exercies safely
    2. If you are at home make sure your lifting is SAFE i.e no max lifts on squats or bench - I can tell you from experience that lying under an 80kg barbell waiting for my wife to come in and laugh at me is not nice
    3. give your body maybe 10 weeks to get used to lifting weights - you'll get stronger in this time anyway - then go for big weights - maybe 80% of one rep max, 3-5 reps, 3-5 sets on basic compound exercises. Add in weighted chins, dips for extra fun!
    4. Aim for 0.5-1g protein /Lb bodyweight/day when you start lifting heavy, and don't skimp on complex carbs either. No need to go very low fat unless you are vain or getting into a weight class
    There's loads of advice available to you, but stuff on the net is NO substitute for an assessment by a certified strength trainer and DONT HURRY - takes 10 years to build an exceptional physique

20. NaughtyKnight

10years? What do you count as an exceptional physique? My Olympia?

Dont bother about all that much protein either, it really isnt that needed.

Want a real life example?

Look at prisoners.

They eat 3 times a day, with very low levels of protein (chicken eggs etc), they take no supplements at all. And they are some of the biggest, strongest, most powerful people on the planet.

I agree with everything else you said, going hard straight off the bat is just asking for trouble, make sure you have saftey first always!