Bujinkan in London

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Nykout, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

I haven't practiced Daito Ryu, but my friend from Netherlands trains it every chance he gets. He lives in Rotterdam though, so it's a pretty long way to Gorinchem. If I recall correctly this is the only Daito Ryu school in Europe.

2. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

There are no official lists of Bujinkan dojos

I don't have experience of the Genbukan or Jinenkan organisations so can't comment there

However, I have direct experience of these 3 Bujinkan dojos:
    - www.bujinkanlondon.org
    - www.yeodojo.net
    - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bujinkan-King-Dojo/170855139643894

They are all well qualified and legitimate Bujinkan instructors

I don't have direct experience of the Shadow Warrior London dojo, but know the instructor by reputation and understand that he's a well qualified, sincere practitioner

3. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

Nice, thank you. Could you please tell me some of the differences in approach as well as what is more common during training between those 3 schools? It would immensely help me choose one of the dojos.

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

dunc, where are you training out of?

Add a link to your school, as I think the OP could do a lot worse that train with you.

You're not advertising, as you'd be answering a direct question.

5. Dunc

Hi

Probably I can't add much to what's been already said and what they have on their websites
    They all share the same root, Simon teaches BJJ alongside the Bujinkan so that's a point of difference in terms of content. Peter King was one of the 1st people in the UK to train in the Bujinkan and has a lot of real world experience from his time in the met

www.bujinkanlondon.org is where I train

Honestly the best advice I can give is to go watch a class at each dojo

6. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Like Dunc, I can't comment on the Shadow Warrior London folk, but if you train with them and get the opportunity to train with Brin and Natasha Morgan, it's really worth your while.

7. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

Ok, thank you a lot.

8. gtlaau

gtlaau Valued Member

Go and train with Wayne Waterlow at Seijitsu Dojo, he has a deep connection to 2 of the top teachers in the art.

Brin teaches his own thing, which is a variation of Stephen Hyes stuff, he still teaches the elements and other strange things..... I would avoid it.

9. Bonesdoc

Bonesdoc Valued Member

Gtlaau,

I think the original poster was asking about dojo's in London. Wayne's dojo is in Hemel( plus shibu's in Newmarket & Grimsby ) IIRC which may be further than he wishes to travel. Also it's not as if there aren't options for him in London to try. I have no issues with Wayne, as one of the Scottish instructors visits him from time to time and has good things to say about training. Not sure why you were cryptic about the 2 instructors ( Kacem sensei and Ishizuka Sensei ) as they are listed on his website. As has been stated before it probably best to look at a number of classes to see which teaching style best suits the student.

Regarding Brin he does retain some of the godai stuff from Hayes but that aside, as Frodocious posted above, I have found his technique to be good and certainly one of his senior students in Manchester seemed to run a solid Bujinkan dojo based on a couple of times I trained there when visiting the North-West.

10. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Daito ryu looks like Aikido for people with Aspergers.

11. Dunc

Wayne's a great guy and I'm sure he runs a brilliant dojo

From memory he's in the Newmarket, Suffolk area, which is unfortunately a long way out of London

I haven't trained with Brin or Natasha for a long time so can't really comment

12. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

:confused:

Not sure what you mean.

13. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

It's like really, really left brained Aikido. Very structured, very formal. Very detail orientated.

14. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

Wayne's dojo is in Suffolk, the one in Hemel is run by sandy marwick,

15. Bonesdoc

Bonesdoc Valued Member

oooops........ Thanks Norm for spotting that one, you're correct in that I had muddled up Wayne's dojo with Sandy's.

However, despite my sketchy geography of the south of UK, I think the dojo in question may possibly be even futher away from London than where I was thinking of :)

16. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

Thank you all guys, I'll be sure to check those schools out. I have a question though, is it possible to pinpoint some of the differences between those schools in terms of which aspects they focus on the most?

17. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

Also, me:

Bujinkan Shingitai-Ichi Dojo
    (near Bethnal Green, currently training on Tuesdays)

Also, one of my students has a class of his own on Thursdays somewhere around the Isle of Dogs (I think).

Those interested in training can contact me at bujinkan.london@gmail.com . I can pass along contact details for the Thursday one as well.

18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Think less, train more - they will have their own nuances but teh only way to find out is to go train

19. baldrick

baldrick Valued Member

Hi Nykout,

I train with Peter at his class on Mondays, so if I can help with any info, please feel free to PM me.

I can definitely recommended Duncan and Simon, I know them well, both very good instructors.
    As Steve K has said, he also has a class in the central London area, again a good instructor.

There is also my student who now has a class in Bexley.

Unfortunately I am not in a position to give you any info on the guys at Blackheath, but they train under Brin & Natasha.

Hope this helps.

Dave.