Bujinkan in London

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Nykout, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

They will all teach variations on standard bjkn syllabus and methodology.

Go and visit and see what fits best with you.

PS you never did say what your main aims are?

2. Bonesdoc

Bonesdoc Valued Member

I can understand the difficulty with not being able to identify the instructors, however this may simply due to reasons of privacy and should not automically be seen as signalling a problem. The Bujinkan London website you posted does explain why the instructor only gives out an e-mail address.

I have met and trained with students from the BujinkanLondon dojo and they have been good people and train well, so with that vague assessment it would be worth trying a class at that dojo to see if you enjoy it. The other dojo you posted I know very little about other than it used to be part of Brin Morgan's ( probably still is ) group or students who trained with Brin. This observation is simply that, and isn't meant as either a recommendation or criticism.

As dunc posted above there are also Peter King's dojo and Simon Yeo's both of whom are very experienced but again it is going to depend on how you find the classes, if you choose to try them.

You asked about Genbukan and Jinenkan, and there are dojo's listed in London:

Genbukan
    - www.kinkandojo.com
    - Gassan Dojo, e-mail Gassan9@btinternet.com

Jinenkan
    - There appears to be no formal dojo but someone is looking to start one
    www.jinenkan-london.co.uk

As I train in BBT, I haven't trained in Genbukan or Jinenkan so you would need to assess these yourself unless there are others on this board with experience of the dojo's listed or others that they know of.

Good luck and I hope you find somewhere to train in one of the organisations listed.

3. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

I think I haven't mentioned my aims connected with training in one of the modern Ninjutsu schools.

I am looking to enhance my joint locking and throwing skills, as well as learn a lot about weapon usage. It would be nice if there was some strenght and flexibility training, but that is far from mandatory for me.

4. Dead_pool

If you want throwing, and joint locking, why not Judo?

You have the budokwai in London, and judo is worldwide so your not restricted to 2 years.

5. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

A few reasons why not:

- It is really important to me to have this weapon training. Not because self defense reasons, but because I have always wanted to learn the usage of Japanese weapons.

- Judo locks and throws are different from those in Ninjutsu. Not another world of difference, but different. And I prefer those of Ninjutsu.

- Judo is a sport. Between 2009 and 2010 the International Judo Federation has banned a lot of throws and locks from the tournaments, thus further condemning Judo to the fate of a martial sport. Similiar things happened to Taekwondo (ekhemolympicsekhem). I am not saying martial sports are bad, but degrading a martial art to a martial sport is.

6. Bonesdoc

Bonesdoc Valued Member

You can get joint locking & grappling experience with Judo and also BJJ if that is primarily what you are seeking. Throwing would also obtained via Judo. Neither of these will give the experience with weapons, by which I have assumed you mean classical Japanese weapons if not then you need to be more specific when asking for advice.

Most mainstream arts are now worldwide so if you have to move it shouldn't be a problem, so select what you train in on what you seek to achieve with your training and how effective you find the instruction in the class.

7. Bonesdoc

Bonesdoc Valued Member

Noticed your reply above, is it Japanese weapons in general or are there specific ones you are interested in?

8. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

Yes, I mean classical Japanese weapons. I explained why not Judo. As for BJJ, it lacks weapon training and standing joint locks and throws. I know that I want to train in one of the modern Ninjutsu schools, but I am not sure in which one.

9. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

Damn, the mail notifications are always late.

Anyway, the weapons in which I am most interested in learning:

- Katana
    - Wakizashi
    - Nagamaki
    - Naginata
    - Bo
    - Tanto
    - Yari

10. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

If you're looking for joint locking , throws ad weapons have you considered Aikido ?

11. Bonesdoc

Bonesdoc Valued Member

Ok, based on what you posted then I would recommend looking out classes from each of organisations ( Bujinkan, Genbukan +/- Jinenkan ) to see which best suits what you are searching for in terms of content and instruction.
    All three organisations should cover all or at least most of what you have listed of Japanese weapons you're interested in.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  12. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

Ah, Aikido.

Yes, I've considered Aikido a few times in my life, but everytime I came to the same conclusion: No.

To list just a few reasons:
    - Weapons used are mostly Jo and Tanto, which is a very limited alternative. Oh, and sometimes Bokken, but that's a rarity.

- I dislike Aikido approach to training and technique drilling. Of course, your partner should help you learn the technique usage, but once you know it, he should resist so you know what it's like to use said technique in a normal fight/sparring.

- My friend got his 1st dan in Aikido a few months ago, and he taught me some of the locks and throws. We have made a grappling sparring afterwards, and, to say it euphemistically, he didn't manage to do the same. There are of course Aikidokas who can use the techniques properly and those are really scary, but it takes 10-20 years to reach this kind of standard.

That being said, I have a lot of respect towards every Aikidoka, and I do not underestimate their abilities. I just personally wouldn't like to train Aikido.

13. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

Thank you, I will check them all out.

14. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

There has been one more thing which I am not sure of. Namely, there is another modern Ninjutsu organisation, known as Akban. I know that they have centres in Israel. Are there any major differences between Akban and Bujinkan in terms of what they teach?

15. Dead_pool

Akban is bjkn, plus sparring, plus some survivalist bits.

There are no akban schools in London.

16. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I've done both , and I encounter more resistance in Aikido.
    Apart from that the main difference I've found is that Aikido doesn't pretend to be anything other than a martial art.

17. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

Depends on the school I guess. If it was something like Daito Ryu Aikijujitsu then I wouldn't mind though.

18. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Have you done Daito-ryu?

19. Bonesdoc

Bonesdoc Valued Member

Akban IIRC was formed by senior students of Doron Navon and separated from Bujinkan Israel somewhere in the mid 90's, but remain part of the Bujinkan. They have a systemised approach which also includes a physical fitness and conditioning program alongside the practice of the waza. If you want to take a look at what they do then go to the website www.akban.org and there are various vidclips of techniques there. alternatively if you search youtube under Yossi Sherrif (their head instructor) you will find some more video stuff. Both of these will simply give you an idea of what is offered.

Unfortunately while they have dojos outside Israel in (Berlin and Canada) there are none listed in London.

20. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

Well, as long as they have essentialy the same program as Bujinkan technique wise, I am not complaining.