Bujinkan fighting vids

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Jakesdad, Jan 3, 2008.

1. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

This guy is awesome. Do you really live in Germany?

2. KempoFist

Pretty cool looking. Didn't look scripted, but if it was then they deserve an award :p

3. Jimmy Wand-Yu

Jimmy Wand-Yu Valued Member

Yes...
    also on the Wudang mountains, where I fly sometimes in imagination and train with old masters... :) [let's see if DevilH calls me now a psycho...]

4. Devil Hanzo

Devil Hanzo Doesn't tap to heel-hooks

Your lame ninja-wannabe act has nothing to do with me pal, I just call it like I see it.

5. Devil Hanzo

Yeah the weapons sparring vid was good. Live, unscripted. Might have been better if they were padded so they could hit each other more realistically without worrying about injury, but still great vid.

6. noname

noname Valued Member

:)

I agree.

7. SWEHurricane

SWEHurricane Valued Ninjer

I agree. Read up on the people that made the vid and found this website: http://www.bujinkandojo.net/

Alot of good stuff on there. Of course you can't agree with everything, but I like how they think.

8. deivu

deivu Valued Member

i always thought the the ninpo training in Europe was better. when i trained in the booj I was never really to impressed with the Americans the the Europeans and Japanese were usually better at least IMO. Thanks for the vids SWE. There are some cool concepts in ninpo I wish more amercans studied them better though at least the boojies I saw

9. SWEHurricane

Read the same article, thought it was interesting since so many people have said that before. But it can just be bias, cause I have only heard europeans talk about it. In case it is like that, it dosen't mean it applies to every dojo. Most of the best non-japanese seem to be from the US anyway.

From what I have noticed, the Bujinkan seems to have a good reputation here in Sweden among practitioners of other arts. Most say it's generally some really hard training. It's almost the opposite of what you hear here. I think it might be a generation thing. More newer shidoshi in the US it seems. Around here it usually takes really long to get your first Dan.

Anyway, both good and bad training can be found anywhere. It's hard to generalize.

Here is the article: http://bujinkandojo.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=29
    And this one mentions it aswell: http://bujinkandojo.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=29
    I think this discussion might be worth a thread, but it has some hazards. Might turn out into a flame war.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  10. KempoFist

ya know what sucks? 800 posts in this thread got vaguely productive, and no one's gonna even bother to read it at this point :p

11. Devil Hanzo

I knew if it kept going we'd get SOMETHING. I'm really impressed.

Was that so hard people? Was it really so hard?

*EDIT*

Watching the Kajukenbo episode of Fight Quest. They just had Doug do omote-gyaku against a knife, which is probably what I'd use in a similar situation. But they also spar really rough on a regular basis. There's been requests for a Ninjutsu FQ episode on the Discovery.com forum, but 95% of the people posting for it are freaky backyard ninjas. I'm just hoping we see some unarmed taijutsu fighting if they do it, FQ won't do it otherwise.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  12. EWBell

EWBell Valued Member

Since Human Weapon went to the Bujinkan, maybe Fight Quest can go to the Genbukan or even the Jinenkan.

13. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

I enjoyed watching the videos, but some, like the Hojojutsu demonstration ([ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdT71nT3BHE"]Hojojutsu Demo - YouTube[/ame]) were a little ridiculous. The guy had a free hand and didn't try to protect his neck. When the rope was going around his neck at about 20 seconds, rather than try to stop it, he actually reached back so that the instructor could further hog tie him. I understand that this was simple demonstration, but it takes compliance to a level I've never seen before. :)

14. Devil Hanzo

Yeah that'd be sweet.

Agreed. I can remember watching my teachers doing techniques, and noticing how the uke was going with it and thinking, "Huh..that doesn't look like it would work if the guy was resisting", but just ignoring it and saying, "Naaaaah it's gotta work. Right? :confused: ". I wonder if other people have similar thoughts.

15. I'mKira

I'mKira Banned Banned

I'm certain they do. When I was in my dorky TMAist phase, doubts are what inspired me to try tournaments and rolling and, eventually, quit for BJJ.

All but the most stuck up and gullible have doubts.

Our job is to bring the doubts within their heads to the surface. That's what all the THIS IS NOT SPORT (I FIGHT IN A POST APOCALYPTIC WORLD OF CHAOS AND DECAY) stuff is about: shelter from the nagging voice that says "jesus, this is stupid".

16. SWEHurricane

Unarmed or not I don't think it matters, they mostly did armed in the Kali episode. What they need is some good competition and two real sadists to train them. I think you could find both in all of the orgs, especially sadists. :p

I can se Doug getting to do Koto ryu conditioning drills that no one has been doing since Takamatsu. :Angel:

What would make this art FQ friendly is the amount of really painful stuff you can do if you really want to.

17. SWEHurricane

I think alot of people just watch Soke do something, then try to replicate it and show it to their students before figuring out or even trying it for real. Somewhere in the jungle of techiques and examples of henka, people often get lost.

The good thing in all of this is that we are encouraged to try out crazy stuff. But I think that stuff should be tested. If you are an instructor you should make it clear what you are doing. Because we are all forever students, and we always want to try what the big boys are doing.

EDIT: I have found that compliancy actually is a really good training tool. And even better for teachers demonstrating techniques. You can show everything really slow. The problem is that some people stop at that. They also learn alot, but they miss out on alot. That's just my opinion.

18. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

That says something about the people who keep at it despite their doubts in an effort to make sense of it all, rather than admitting defeat outright.

And the pay is good I hope?

Last time I told Jesus that a lightning bolt destroyed my laptop. I guess that means he's gunning for me the next time I let lapse my faith. :rolleyes:

19. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

+20 FTW.

20. I'mKira

I'mKira Banned Banned

I bet there's something to the theory of humours too. Hey, that fits...After all, humours theory was tested on medieval battlefields too. LOL HEY BJJ NUTRIDER WHY DON'T YOU ASK FOR VIDEO OF MEDIEVAL CHIRURGEONS AT WORK TOO BRLBRLBLRBLRLBRL

Almost as bad as my real job.