Built to the Bone

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Saggitarius, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Saggitarius

Saggitarius New Member

My friend and I are planning on going to boxing classes pretty soon and i was wonder if you have to be really cut-up to be an effective fighter. Hes been working out, will he have a major advantage over me?

2. Joe karate

Joe karate New Member

Maybe and maybe not. Although it is not neccessary to be "cut up" to fight it is always advantageous to be stronger, more flexible, and overall conditioned and physically fit. That goes for all fighting styles, not just boxing.

Don't worry about your friends strength but work on yours. Maybe you can workout with him?

3. khafra

khafra New Member

If you get down too low in the BF% you get weaker. If he's actually a weightlifter, though, he'll have an advantage unless he's really slow.

4. johndoch

johndoch upurs

He probably will have the advantage in a brawl but if you use footwork and good technique you may out point your opponent by controlling his range.

I would say if he's stronger dont get involved in a tear-up. Work on your counter attacking game by drawing him. Maintaining and having a better gauge of range is very important when fighting bigger stronger opponents.

5. Joe karate

Joe karate New Member

Also don't forget that that the stronger you get the better you will be in a fight.

Remember guys he wants to be a better fighter, not tips on how to fight a stronger guy.

Everyone can/should work towards better footwork and counters as well(as johndoch said) but all martial artisits should do strength training.

Saggitarius: Just work towards everything to be a better boxer ie. footwork, ec=vasion, speed, strength,.......the list goes on.

6. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Thats true but there will always be a situation where someone is stronger than the other therefore your tactics must be worked out accordingly, especially in a sport like boxing.

7. Saggitarius

Saggitarius New Member

Thanks for the tips you guys.

8. Joe karate

Joe karate New Member

I agree 100% Johndoch

I just wanted to encourage him to lift weights as it can only help. Your suggestions were right on the dot though.