Building up running distance

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Estrix, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Estrix

Estrix Valued Member

I'm currently trying to build up to a 5 mile trail run. However for some reason I can't get over about 2 miles. I did a rough calculation and I'm currently running 2 miles at a little over 6 miles an hour which is apparently not a bad time to be doing it in.

When I hit about a mile and half or so it's like my body just starts shutting down, stich starts, my back and shoulders ache, my head starts to pound (sometimes my vision blurs) and it tends to be an act of will to do the last half mile or so. This tends to have been pretty much always the case, there's been vrey few times in my life where I've been able to do more than this sort of distance.

I'm not unfit though, I cycle aorund 16 or so miles 3 times a week, train krav at high intensity for 2 hours or more twice a week. Plus I walk like 3 miles a day to and from bus stops lol. All adds up quite a lot.

So basically I was wondering if anyone had some advice for building up to the 5 mile mark at least. Thanks

2. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

sounds like you're not breathing very well when you run.

3. Estrix

Estrix Valued Member

I did wonder if this was the case. However if it was a breathing issue then shouldn't it effect all my exercise not just running? And like I said I do plenty of other exercise

4. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

Na some people find it very hard to relax doing an exercise they don't particularly like or aren't comfortable with. The pain in your back, shoulders and neck sounds like tension caused by the running and that, coupled with bad breathing - which it usually is - would cause a headache.

5. It's okay, building to some distance running takes time.

As you can do two miles, albeit with a bit of difficulty, you may want to base your workouts on that:

Do 2 miles at a slightly slower pace (20 min), walk for 5 min, then do another mile in 10 min. Stretch & done.
    Repeat twice or 3 times this week.

Next week (or after you've done it 3 times), try to keep the same pace and do 25 min, walk 5 min and add 1 mile in 10 min.
    Repeat 3 times

The week after (or after you've done it 3 times), run for 30 min (that should be 3 miles), walk 5 min, then run another 10 min (1 mile)
    Repeat 3 times in a week.

Then, after a week or 3 times, you do 20 min, walk 5 min, and another 20 min (this should be getting easier)
    Repeat 3 times.

After a week, or 3 times, run 30 min, walk 5 min and run another 20 min (you are up to 5 miles with a 5 min walk in between) Repeat 3 times.

After a weeks or 3 times, try to run for 40 min (4 miles), walk 5 min, then run another mile (10 min)
    Repeat 3 times.

After a week or 3 times, you should be able to run the full 50 min or 5 miles. Repeat 3 times.

Once there, you should know your pace quite well. Try to run the first 5 min at a faster pace, back to your pace for 5 min, faster 5 min, pace 5 min, much faster 5 min - walk 5 min and repeat.
    Repeat 3 times.

You get the idea... you now have a 7 to 8 weeks program with 21 running workouts to get to your target.
    If you stall, or if the steps are too big, you have two options:
    1- run the distance 4 times to give more time to your body to adapt. (you'll have to suck it up)
    2- make smaller steps like adding 5 min or half a mile each time.
    that will lengthen your program a bit, but you'll get there... :)

Osu!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You are not alone

When was at my peak for fitness I was doing circuits, scrapping, resistance work and training like an absolute madman. Cycling, bodyweight squats, skippping...I was doing shed loads for cardio and leg work

Couldn't run for toffee!

Hated it....HATED it with such passion the thought of going for a run filled me with dread! I get achy, my hips hurt, my legs hurt and any little twinge or niggle seems exaggerated out of all proportion. I ran because I had to for training - the second I didn't have to I stopped

I really should do more of it. I have a treadmill (which is easier for me to cope with because I know I can get off), because it truly is great for fitness but I still have an almost psychosomatic disorder that every time I even think about running my body develops pain everywhere

Keep at it bro and good luck!

7. LOL...
    I am like that too... When I was doing track & field short sprint... We used to think that anything over 200 meters should be classified together with death camps and genocide... and bear the same punishment!

Yet, one great way to derive satisfaction from running is to get it done... I am really, really happy when that part of the workout is behind me! ;)

Osu!

8. Estrix

Estrix Valued Member

WOW, thanks for this, I'm going to work from this for my future runs and see how it goes. Hopefully it'll work.

Also have to try relaxing more and see if that helps the breathing. Running is not my favourite thing to do but I'm hoping to do some adventure racing so I need to get good at it lol, starting with the 5 mile target :bang:

9. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

you have to train your body to go that distance. when i started running, i just did 1/2 mile 3xweek--very limited. but if you do that consistently, you'll see your body adapts and gets stronger. just take it slow, be on the look out for how your body feels. and once you stay consistent and listen to your body, you'll notice eventually you'll be able to do longer distances.

good work! just keep it up, you'll be fine.

10. Very welcome kind Sir... :) Please keep us posted on your progress & how you are doing with the program, what you changed, etc...
    Have no fear, it works, as you stick with it, your body will adapt quickly and it will become easier and easier... Keep a journal (or a log on MAP) and keep track of your times, your aches, your difficulties, how you fight boredom, the routes, the weather, etc... you'll be happy to have it as a testimony to your progress.

Why don't you try to run while randomly moving the shoulders and shaking keep your arms out like you might do when you want to loosen up a bit.
    You could do that for 100 or 200 m once in a while during your run.
    That would make you slow down a bit, it would break the monotony, catch your breath, and maybe relax a little bit.
    Then you can resume normal operations... :)

Are you keeping your fists tight while you run? if that happens, try to keep the hand relaxed, that will help with tension building up in the shoulders and upper back. :)

For adventure racing, you'll have to make this 5 miles target your best friend... you'll stay together several times a day on race day! :D

OSu!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  11. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Try to "enjoy" your running. Don't push yourself too hard. After the water have filled up the hole, it will flow out. Try to run in a slow speed and reach to your 5 miles and then increase your speed after that.

12. TejasT

TejasT Valued Member

This is great, simple advice. There's a good rule of thumb with long distance running: if you can't carry on a conversation with someone while running, you're going at a pace too quick.

5 miles is a long race. I've seen people start races that distance at a full sprint. By the second mile, you see them all walking. So go slow -- chances are it's a lot faster than you think. Don't run 5 miles on a treadmill either. There's nothing harder and more boring than that.

Try to just increase your current distance by 10% intervals every week. Don't try to go from 2 to 5 miles all at once.

Finally, for inspiration, read the book: "[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Born-Run-Superathletes-Greatest-Vintage/dp/0307279189/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327456213&sr=8-1"]Born to Run[/ame]."

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  13. Ives

Ives Mokuteki o motte hajimeru

Sound advice from TejasT.
    If you don't have a running-buddy use an mp3 player and see if you can sing along with the music. (This works like the conversation with a running-buddy.)
    Also your focus as a beginner shouldn't be on the distance but on the duration. Once you have a running-condition you can focus on increasing speed through fartlek-runs.

14. Estrix

Estrix Valued Member

Well today I did the first run of the first stage of the programme suggested by Old_kyokushin up there ^^

Seeing as my final goal is adventure racing I ran it all offroad and on trails (its going to take AGES to get the mud out my shoes lol).

Ran the 2 miles slower so it wasn't as bad, and tried to make a mental effort to relax more which seems to help.

The 5 minute walking gap helped as well, I was able to get my breathing and heart rate pretty much back to the base level.

Even so the last mile was pretty hard, though in my defence is was mostly up hill lol. Even with the 5 minute breather before it was quite hard going. Sucked it up and did it though.

Forgot to stretch out my shoulders afterwards which was stupid, so they hurt but otherwise I feel pretty good. Also, Dropkick Murphys are an awesome band to run to lol.

Hopefully the next run will be Friday (Krav Maga tomorrow) and then Sunday so going by the sets of 3 the first of the new set will be Monday (I hope, assuming my lungs or heart or both don't explode lol)

Thanks again for all the advice

15. That's great, thank you for the feedback.
    PAtience, diligence & consistency win that race Estrix :)

Are you in contact with the adventure racers you talk about?
    If not, it might be worth your while to find a group or a club in your area, and start hanging out with them, that will feed your interest and motivation. That will also give you opportunities to find running partners.

Osu!

16. Estrix

Estrix Valued Member

The adventure racing idea is something myself and another uni friend want to try out, starting with some 5 hour "sprints" and working up from there. We've signed up to a few forums to get an idea of what to expect, but it's mostly building up the fitness aspects. I can't run and he can't cycle lol :p

17. That's great!
    You two have worthy goals, and a story to tell... Keep a journal! ;)

Osu!

18. Estrix

Estrix Valued Member

So today I completed the third run of stage 1 (a day later than planned but such is life I suppose). All good so far.

My time to distance has been pretty consistant at the moment, the distance is getting easier but I'm not going any faster if you see what I mean.

I think I'm relaxing into it more and breathing easier which can only be helping. However I've started to get this weird pain across the top of chest, just below my collar bones while running that stops shortly afterwards. Never had it before but it doesn't seem to indicate any real problem.

I'll post again after I run the first of stage 2 on Wed (hopefully).

19. Giovanni

as you run more, you'll notice more aches and pains throughout your body as you adjust. if it gets to be a problem, consult a physician, preferably someone that specializes in athletic injuries.

i personally think that running is one of the best things you can do for your body. from maintaining correct posture to even having to hold your arms up the whole time, it strengthens your whole body.

great work.

20. Giovanni

<sorry, dup>