‘Building the Gymnastic Body’ by Christopher Sommer – a review

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Frodocious, Dec 14, 2008.

1. kombatmaster777

kombatmaster777 Valued Member

The only equipment you would need are gymnastic rings at the very least. You can do a lot with just that.

You can buy those at gymnasticbodies.com

If you have access to stall bars that would be awesome, parallel bars won't hurt either, but like I said you can do a lot with just the rings.

I actually started doing his workout on Feb. 14th or 17th 2009 and kept it strong till this very day.

You can see my workout log at:

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1996

feel free to ask more questions

-kombat

2. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Thanks guys. :) It's really frustrating because I had my routine planned out and was really looking forward to getting started. As I said above, I'm going to start working basic bodyweight stuff (pushups, handstands, frog stands, pistols etc) this week, so I can jump into my program when I get home in July.

As Kombatmaster says, you only need rings for this (but you could get away, initially, with using a pullups bar for some of the stuff). The program is strength based rather than all round fight conditioning based. If you want a more all round book, I would go with 'Never Gymless'.

3. mahantesh

mahantesh New Member

hello again..
    so any ideas about when the other books by Coach Sommer r going to be published? i had expected them to be published by now.
    All Muscle, No Iron
    Liquid Steel
    The Handstand Chronicles
    The Dynamic Physique

4. Frodocious

If the next books follow the same pattern as this one, then I think we're in for a long wait!

The latest report is that they're still doing principal photography on 'Liquid Steel', I don't know about the other books.

5. mahantesh

mahantesh New Member

I sure hope they are finished with the other books soon..
    waiting is soo boring lol

6. Frodocious

Just a quick update for those of you who care...

I'm back in the UK now and have started on my gymnastics program. I'll probably be doing 8 week cycles and at the moment I'm just testing and fine tuning my routine. For the forseeable future (due to work and real life commitments) I'll be strength training twice a week using a modified version of what I posted a few pages back. I've been training for just under a month now and some of my pre-hab stuff seems to have paid off. My grip is stronger, which means I can work holds on the rings and bars better. As for gymnastic movements, I think my tuck back lever is getting better. Once I finalise the routine I'll post it (if anybody is interested).

7. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Glad to hear that you're back at it! I'm more on track with my own training this summer (school got in the way quite often in the spring). I've seen improvements, however small, in my static holds--including the back tuck lever. I've seen more improvement in terms of rings pushups, pullups, dips, etc. I'm even seeing the slightest bit of improvement in leg lifts (always so hard for me, I suppose because my legs are so long).

Of course, I do this training on top of my own capoeira training, running, biking, etc. so having so many physical activities make for the slower (though steady) progress. I'll post my routine later. All the best to you on your path.

paz,

dormindo

8. Frodocious

Thanks for the support Dormindo. I have to fit my training in round Judo and BJJ training, as well as work and studying. It also looks like I'm going to be unable to restart Capoeira for the forseeable future, due to the timing of classes. :(

I would love to see your routine if you get the chance to post it!

9. dormindo

Here goes. Now, mind you, I am not holding any of the static holds for sixty seconds straight. I'm doing four sets of fifteen seconds each on most of the holds.

Monday

Static Hold: L-sit, PB, p. 27-28 (4x15 secs) My legs are not totally straight yet (almost)

Upper Body Pulling: Pullups, p. 97-98 from a low hang (non-jumping or kipping) (3x4)
    Upper Body Pressing: Pushups, XR Bulgarian, p. 62-63 (3x4) I'm about to move on to pseudo planche pushups

Core: L-sit lift, p. 124-125 (3x2) Just started these and finding difficult--I blame my long legs instead of my (apparently) weak core.
    Legs: Deck Squats, p. 157 (3x3) About to switch these out for another hamstring exercise as I don't have a weighted vest for the jumps, which are easy unweighted, and the fact that the hamstring exercises are consistently the toughest for me and therefore the easiest for me to skimp out on.

Tuesday

Static Holds: Straddle L Partial Roll, p. 32 (4x8-10secs) Okay, by the 4th one its more like 2 secs
    Back Lever Flat Tuck, p. 42 (4x15secs)

Upper Body Pulling: Front Lever Rows Tuck, p. 92-93 (3x4) In truth, I do these assisted with one foot lightly resting on the bar.
    Upper Body Pressing: Dips PB, p. 69 (3x4) About to move on to the Russians.

Core:Hanging Leg Lift Half, p. 128 (3x3) Again, I blame my legs for only doing halves.
    Archups, p. 132 Truth is, I often skip this one and am thinking of moving on to Reverse Leg Lifts on the stall bar, p. 134-135. Hope I'm not being too ambitious.
    Legs:Single Leg Squats, p. 161 (3x2) Been real squeamish about doing these since injuring my leg last November. The 3x2 feels easy, though, so I'll shoot for four reps next week and the following week go for the jumping ones (okay, more like hopping at first)

Thursday

Static Hold: Manna MSH Horizontal, p. 37-38 (3x8secs) Yeah, I punk out here.

Upper Body Pulling: Chin Ups Inverted, p. 103-104 (3x3) About to go to Yewkis.
    Upper Body Pressing: Headstand Pushup, p. 78 (3x5)

Core: Hanging Leg Lifts Circular, p. 140 (3x3) I do these tucked now--the legs again ;)
    Legs: Single Leg Squats again (3x2)

Friday

Static Hold: Front Lever Tuck, p. 46 (4x15secs)
    Planche Frog Stand, p. 50 (3x20secs) Time to move on to the advanced stand.

Core: German Hang Pulls, p. 144-145 (3x4) These are fun.
    Legs: Natural Leg Curls, p. 165 (3x4)

Well, that's my weekly GB routine. It should be noted that I do not do any of the mutiplane pulling/pressing exercises as of yet, nor do I do muscleups. I have definitely had increases in strength due to GB training and will continue with it for the near future in addition to all of my capoeira training. Good luck to you on your path.

paz,

dormindo

10. Frodocious

Nice routine! You're more advanced than I am with all of your exercises! I really struggle with even the basic tuck front lever - I can hardly raise my hips at all. I really want to move on to the advanced frog stand but can't get my legs to balance on my straight arms - probably due to a weak upper body.

11. dormindo

Oh, don't get me wrong--I don't want to give the impression that I'm the unshaken man of steel whilst doing these exercises. I find most of them challenging and only a couple of them easy. Also, I've gotten to this point over the many months since February (I'd been more sporadic in the spring but have held to the routine quite well since mid May).

Hang in there, progress is coming!

As for the advanced frog stand, I think I will have problems with that as well, seeing as how my arms are long and thin. I may get myself into the position and modify the weight on my arms by using props initially. At any rate, I'll reply here once I've tried it to let you know how it went.

One final thing: as I was repeatedly getting my (rear) kicked by the various exercises in the GB program, I kept telling myself that the incremental progress--a second or two gain in a static hold, or the ability to do at least a rep or two of a particular exercise (and sometimes I would quit right after that, satisfied to have gotten at least that out)--added incrementally to my overall conditioning. Drops in the ocean sometimes, no doubt, but building towards the ocean nevertheless. All the best to you in your path.

paz,

dormindo

12. dormindo

Tried the advanced frog stand this morning (it wasn't part of my normal Thur. routine, but I wanted to see if I could do it). I couldn't do it unaided. It felt like quite a bit of pressure on my elbows, so I tried it with my feet lightly resting on a prop and that helped tremendously. Guess I'll work my way into it a little at a time. Dazzle gradually as Lynn Margulis says.

paz,

dormindo

13. Frodocious

I agree with you, that with static holds (and other gymnastic moves) another second or so, or 1 more rep is often an indicator of significant progress.

Coach Sommer said that lack of ability to do the advanced frog stand is often due to weak upper body strength and that one way of improving this is to really concentrate on pressing exercises. I'm going to try to mix in props with my attempts as well, either with resistance bands or using a swiss ball.

14. Frodocious

OK, I've finalised my routine for the next 8 week microcycle (starting on Saturday). I'll be doing 4 workouts, 2 each week alternating each week.

Saturday A:
    Handstand wall holds 35sec on/45sec rest x 10
    Advanced Frog stand 3 secs x 10
    Handstand pushup negatives 3x5
    Back lever 15 secs x 4
    Ring row (straight legs) 3x5
    Front lever negative lowers/ 360 bent arm pulls 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5 (plus warm up sets)
    L-sit low
    Hanging leg lift 3x10
    Squat 3x5 (plus warm up sets)
    Headstand leg lift partials 3x5
    Supine windshield wipers 3x10

Tuesday A:
    Dips 3x5
    Back lever 15 secs x 4
    Chin ups 3x5
    Natural leg curls 3x5
    Straddle L Low 10x 6 secs
    Ab wheel rollouts (on knees)
    Weighted deck squat 3x5
    Russian twists 3X10

Saturday B:
    Overhead press 3x5 (plus warm up sets)
    360 bent arm pulls 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5 (plus warm up sets)
    Bench press 3x5 (plus warm up sets)
    Squat 3x5 (plus warm up sets)
    Row 3x5 (plus warm up sets)
    L-sit low
    Hanging leg lift 3x10
    Headstand leg lift (partials) 3x5
    Supine windshield wipers 3x10

Tuesday B:
    Ring push up 3x5
    Back lever 15 secs x 4
    Inverted chin ups 3x5
    Natural leg curls 3x5
    Straddle L Low 10x 6 secs
    Ab wheel rollouts (on knees)
    Graduated pistols 3x5
    Russian twists 3X10

On non-strength days I'll be doing static ring holds, advanced frog stands and 2 days a week of wrist/knuckle push ups, hip extensions and, once my bad back is feeling better, I'll add some bridge wall walks.

I'm also starting to add a few sessions of mobility work into my week.

15. dormindo

So cool! Best of luck to you on the new routine! Remember, you've got at least a one man cheering section here in Texas. Keep us updated.

As for me, I'm continuing to progress, slowly (but surely). I can feel the strength gains from GB (and capoeira training) carrying over into the rest of my life. Nice. Good news: On the static holds I'm starting to look totally awkward instead of impossibly hopeless--progress!

paz,

dormindo

16. Frodocious

Thank you for the support and same to you from the one woman cheering section here in Liverpool! :D

Nice to hear that you're making progress with your holds.

17. GaryT85

GaryT85 Super Gario

gonna jump in with a quick question for you two..

what is the benefit/difference in working on holds as opposed to the equivalent moving reps? (handstand hold - handstand pushups for example..)

cheers

18. Frodocious

Handstand holds are training for handstands (including endurance training for longer holds) and also help to condition wrists, arms and shoulders for more advanced stuff like ring work. Handstand pushups are a strength exercise, similar to overhead pressing with a barbell.

19. dormindo

For me, I've noticed the holds giving me core strength and stabilization--eventually. I start off wobbly as anything. My wrists were pretty good already thanks to capoeira, but the GB training has helped there, too, I think.

paz,

dormindo

20. Frodocious

Yes, I forgot to mention core strength (and my wrists were feeble, but are getting better now).