Building competition endurance

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by righty, Jan 19, 2013.

1. righty

righty Valued Member

Hi all,
    I've been competiting more over the last 12 months and I'm looking at competing more this year. One thing I would like to improve is competition endurance. Basically I am finding with fights spread throughout a day I'm not able to up the intensity particularly in the last few fights.

It's not a nutrition thing as I always take along my candy that I nom on constantly as well as plenty of hydration of course.

Can anyone offer advice on how to improve this?

2. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

First off, I hope you're kidding about the candy. If not that could be one of the biggest factors there.

What's your current training structured like right now?

3. righty

righty Valued Member

Ok I don't eat candy throughout the whole comp day. But I do eat some between events. Maybe half a pack for a day plus real food including protein and fruit. Chicken salad plus sweet potato is common.

Train g at the moment is typically 4 x 2 hour ma classes plus 2 to 3 strength workouts a week. I always taper off intensity and volume the week before a comp.

4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Candy is awful to eat during any athletic event. It causes a spike in your blood sugar which when it drops you get sluggish and tired. That could be the main factor right there. You don't want low quality refueling on race day.