Buddhism In Decline?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Romantic, May 4, 2004.

1. Romantic

Romantic Martial Prowess

You know, nowadays, I do not think any of my friends are even Buddhist anymore. When we were kids, many of us claimed to be Buddhist, but as we grew up, more and more of us have either converted to Christianity or have become atheist. Mostly older people are Buddhist and not many young people even care. I think I'm one of the few younger people who are still Buddhist.

Most of my friends are atheist or Christian...and something made me kind of sad. I went over to one of my friend's house last week and she showed me pictures of her church and her fellow church member friends. They looked like they always have a good time and have much fun just hanging out together and worshipping. This makes me think of myself. I do not have any Buddhist friends who are my age and the Buddhist monaestery that I used to go to got burnt down. So now, I end up praying alone sometimes, late at night. Just praying alone...trying to find solace amid a world of chaos.

Sometimes I just wish there were more young Buddhists out there who would just get together and form their own group, so they could have a sense of fellowship. But Buddhists are getting fewer and fewer in numbers and most people care more about making money than attaining enlightenment. I guess I am just going to have to travel this path alone. But loneliness is a difficult burden to bear.

2. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

When I was a kid, lots of my friends and I claimed to be The Masters of the Universe, you know, out of He-Man.

I was Fisto and my friends were He-Man and Man-at-Arms.

I recently met up with them over a beer and was quite upset as to what had happened to them! :(

Where I have trained with weights, grown a beard and practiced martial arts to become more like my icon Fisto, I was upset to see that my friends had abandoned their roles as Masters of the Universe! :eek:

One no longer claims to be He-man but is now an accomplished musician and the other :cry: now claims to be a successful advertising agent!!!!

Why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cry: :cry: :cry:

3. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

I dont mean to interupt your sob story but Buddhism is by no means in decline in most countries especially North America were I think you live; it is actually growing in popularity. Id like to know where you live that there was only one Buddhist group in your local area? As if you live near any major city in America or Canada you will probably be able to find at least 20 or so groups who meet.

I would also spend less time worrying about what religion my friends belong to if I were you. Just because someone is Buddhist does not necessarily mean that you will get along or for that matter that they will be of any more help to you than anyone else.

Incidentally Buddhism is also actually growing in popularity amongst younger people. Maybe if you spent more time meditating than mourning you might be a bit more cheerful. Loneliness after all is generally a symptom that your not comfortable being on your own; Buddhism has a cure for that- MEDITATE! and go get to know yourself. And also spend less time complaining if you wish there was a young Buddhist community then why dont you go about setting one up. If you tell me what city your in I'll even see if I can point you to some already established Buddhist groups.

4. Tireces

Tireces New Member

I feel so deeply indebtted to you for how much this post made me laugh. Tell you what, I'll bathe in rogaine for a few years, dye the body hair green, and pretend to be moss man with you, and we can have epic battles.

Last edited: May 5, 2004
  5. Cain

Cain New Member

You is da man :D

|Cain|

6. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

No - he is da FISTO!!!!

7. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Fisto!

Maybe you could rekindle their love for He-man, maybe dressing up in the costumes, shouting the phraises when least expected. It may be a hard and lonely path to walk :cry:

8. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

What a fantasically de-railed thread!

Buddism to He-Man.

BTW, She-Ra would kick all their Asses! And was she He-Man's sister, or his girlfriend?

9. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Sister! :D

10. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Thats what I said. Everyone else said they were boyfriend and girlfriend.

Actually, I think I may be being taken for a ride again.. like that time someone told me Legolas and Arywen were brother and sister...

11. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Don't believe everything people tell you KGirl!

They were prince and princess!

:D

12. Cain

Cain New Member

Fisto it is then, FF's earnt a nicky ;)

|Cain|

13. Guitarboy1212

Guitarboy1212 New Member

i am one of the few young buddhist. i do not think that having less people in buddhism is bad. in fact according to buddhist philosophy i shouldn't care that i am one of the few. the point of buddhism is not to have a good time, it is to find an inner peace. if lots of people were buddhist, then there would be all these radical groups "siddhartha taught for you and only you. he loves you and want you to ask for forgiveness. siddhartha has a special plan for you". concider it lucky that not many people are buddhist

14. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

In relation to the He-Man side of this thread I have to say I always thought Orkell was pretty cool not to mention the amusing "beastman".

15. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Does it matter if others are Bhuddists? You are doing this for yourself, not to mingle with a group of people. I'm Christian, and I'd continue to be a Christian even if I was the only Christian on Earth. I don't even talk to people about my beliefs. They are my beliefs.

Why does it make you sad that your friends aren't Bhuddist? Maybe they know something that you don't, and think being whatever religion they are is better.

PL

16. toothpaste100

toothpaste100 Banned In 60 Seconds

Thats tragic when all your friends don't want to play buddhist at recess anymore :(

17. Romantic

Romantic Martial Prowess

I live in the crowded suburbs of Los Angeles, California. I've also been thinking about starting an online Buddhist club where Buddhists from around the globe can connect and share ideas, communicate, "hang out", etc. Do you guys think this would be a good idea? Also, I'd like help with the website and setting things up if that becomes a reality. Would anyone be interested?

18. Guitarboy1212

Guitarboy1212 New Member

[OPINION]
    they already have these. and please no. the point of buddhism is to find an inner piece. not gossip and "hang out". what's next "Xtreme meditation"? if you are really that serious about buddhism to want to make an online community, then why not go all the way? sa-to-ri, sa-to-ri SATORI. if romantic can't do it nobody can!
    [/OPINION]

*the above is my personal opinion. please do not take offense romantic

19. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

But how can my friends have turned their backs on a way of life!?!?!?! :confused:

We used to run home after school to watch the latest episode of He-man, but now that they are out on DVD we three should all buy them! I don't understand why my friends won't!

My friend who claims to have a real job in advetising said he can't afford to because he's saving to go to the US to live with his fiance,

my friend who plays music said,

"Colin! Grow up you pathetic child! And put some real clothes on! You can't go wondering about with only some hairy pant and a big glove on!!!"

I don't understand, we made the pact when we were children and they won't honour it or buy the sacred DVD's.

Please help :cry:

20. markyg

markyg MAP Muppet

He-man and She-ra were twins separated at birth!! And no I dont have anything better to do at work :D